Old February 20th 10, 04:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Amateur radio on Linux

D. Stussy wrote:

There's no requirement to run a "speling-chek" on any Usenet article.

Ham: Correct - I'm NOT a "ham." I'm a licensed amateur radio operator.

In addition to the historical meaning recognized by another response,
there's another relevent meaning: Have you noticed that many operators are
not only overweight but actually obese. Maybe they are "hams" - they
certainly are pigs! Their fat proves such.

I'm a ham.

I do public service.

I have elmer'd 6 new hams so far. And I expect to do more.

I've done hundreds of hours of public service.

I've done work which enhanced the art, at least a little.

What does weight have to do with anything I mentioned? What would it
have to do with those "hams" that showed up by the dozens ON SITE during
Katrina?

expletive deleted

tom
K0TAR
Old February 20th 10, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear Group:

Words often communicate different things to different people - perhaps
because of their background. I would never describe a licensed radio
amateur as a "ham" unless his/her behavior justified that tag.

Obviously, each reader has a different background and thus their reaction to
the use of "ham" is expected to be different. Let us not reject outright
the interpretation of others just because their interpretation is different.

73, Mac N8TT
--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:

Old February 21st 10, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 'Hams', was Amateur radio on Linux

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:
Dear Group:

Words often communicate different things to different people - perhaps
because of their background. I would never describe a licensed radio
amateur as a "ham" unless his/her behavior justified that tag.

I have commercial licenses, have quite a bit of education, experience
and make my living in various aspects of radio, should I be offended
when referred to as an 'amateur'?

Obviously, each reader has a different background and thus their reaction to
the use of "ham" is expected to be different.

Context is a clue but comprehension is the responsibility of the reader.
If offense is taken but not intended whose problem should that be?

Let us not reject outright
the interpretation of others just because their interpretation is different.

That goes for the writer as well as the reader.

My advice: Start with context and comprehension, because there are more
worthy things to get upset about.

Of all the groups I interact with the radio crowd is the last I'd ever
thought would get all Politically Correct.
Old February 22nd 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

D. Stussy wrote:
"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
D. Stussy wrote:
"tom" wrote in message
. net...
D. Stussy wrote:
"Tonyfrost" wrote in message

Fldigi 1.2 is a popular new program for Linux and FreeBSD which
enables amateur radio operators to join their radios and their
computers at the hip and create a new kind of ham shack: a digital

ham
shack. Quite amuzing:
Article: http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/59958
1) Written by yet another asshole who doesn't understand that "ham"

is
derrogatory term.
2) Nothing in that article is anything new, as compared to the

1990's,
as
far as digital operation goes.

Ham is a "derrogatory" term?

You can't spell, or run a spell check. And apparently you haven't a
clue which would indicate you aren't a ham either.
There's no requirement to run a "speling-chek" on any Usenet article.

Ham: Correct - I'm NOT a "ham." I'm a licensed amateur radio

operator.

In addition to the historical meaning recognized by another response,
there's another relevent meaning: Have you noticed that many operators

are
not only overweight but actually obese. Maybe they are "hams" - they
certainly are pigs! Their fat proves such.

Here we go again. I'd rather be super fat than be an ignnorant fellow
that thinks that weight is a metric of worth.

And seriously, if you have such a problem with being called a Ham, there
are classes and counseling available to improve your "self worth" image.

No one calls me a ham. They know better. They are not ignorant.

I don't care what anyone calls me as long as they don't call me late.

Then you might not be so touchy or feel the need to denigrate the obese.

You haven't seen my local licenseholder population. When one exceeds 300
pounds, what would you call them? Thin?

Doesn't really matter to It's really to me how fat or thin they are. If
you have a problem with fat people it isn't really their problem - it's
your problem.

Its really too bad too, I know a lot of obese people who are great folks.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old February 22nd 10, 09:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:
Dear Group:

Words often communicate different things to different people - perhaps
because of their background. I would never describe a licensed radio
amateur as a "ham" unless his/her behavior justified that tag.

Obviously, each reader has a different background and thus their reaction to
the use of "ham" is expected to be different. Let us not reject outright
the interpretation of others just because their interpretation is different.

People get way too wrapped around the axle in in what they want
themselves called.

You see it all the time, as in say with developmentally challenged
people. For a while, we were supposed to call tehm "special" before that
it was "slow learner", at one point it was "retarded".

There is even a list of names that correlate to different IQ levels and
abilities, such as moron, imbecile, and other similar things.

But at the moment, it's developmentally challenged.

And those who would deride such folks will pick up the new term, and
eventually it will become bad to call people developmentally challenged.

Now as for the Amateur in Amateur radio, there is the idea of Amateur as
"devotee" or "admirer" and then there are others.

It's interesting that some folks would choose a descriptive term that
includes the synonyms:

Dilletante
Dabbler
Tyro

I especially like the Dabbler, that suggests desultory habits of work
and lack of persistence

or Tyro that implies inexperience often combined with audacity with
resulting crudeness or blundering.

All synonyms for Amateur. All right there in Merriam Webster's

But I don't give a good rat's patoot. Call me a Ham, call me an Amateur
radio operator. I'm comfortable with what I do, and don't need a name to
define it.

Others might be a tad more sensitive.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Old February 22nd 10, 09:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:

Let us not reject outright
the interpretation of others just because their interpretation is different.

Fine. My interpretation of Amateur is a person who cannot do things in a
professional manner, a person who is interested in something, but for
lack of intelligence, skill, persistence, or talent, will never become
proficient in what they are interested in.

Therefore, everyone has to accept my definition of Amateur radio
operators as unskilled incompetents, eh? Especially since that very
thing can be found in the dictionary, not an interpretation, but as
synonymous with the word.

Now that would be sad, wouldn't it?

Names - Bah Humbug!

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old February 22nd 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:
J. Mc Laughlin wrote:

Let us not reject outright
the interpretation of others just because their interpretation is
different.

Fine. My interpretation of Amateur is a person who cannot do things in a
professional manner, a person who is interested in something, but for
lack of intelligence, skill, persistence, or talent, will never become
proficient in what they are interested in.

Therefore, everyone has to accept my definition of Amateur radio
operators as unskilled incompetents, eh? Especially since that very
thing can be found in the dictionary, not an interpretation, but as
synonymous with the word.

Now that would be sad, wouldn't it?

Names - Bah Humbug!

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

This is especially apropos during the winter Olympics, where amateur
athletes are competing. They look proficient to me. But then, I'm just
an amateur myself. A ham, even.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old March 27th 10, 01:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:

Fine. My interpretation of Amateur is a person who cannot do
things in a professional manner, a person who is interested in
something, but for lack of intelligence, skill, persistence, or
talent, will never become proficient in what they are interested
in.

You are entitled to your extremely judgemental interpretation but it
is not necessarily correct!

An amateur is a person who is not a professional, a professional is
someone who is paid for their skill(s). Nowhere does it say that
either is competent or incompetent. Many amateurs are vastly more
skilled than professionals operating in the same area.

Only this week NASA were impressed and enquiring of a UK hobbyist
how he obtained such incredible pictures of the earth from 21 miles
up when it cost them millions of dollars to to the what he had done
for about $750.

(He'd put a common digital camera with some electronics and a simple
radio beacon as the payload to a helium balloon which burst at 21
miles up and which then came down by parachute and he was able to
locate it by radio DF. See
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/8587749.stm . Now
that is an amateur - hardly fits your idea of amateur does it :-)

Charlie.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/gnome7763/m.html?

Old March 27th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:

Its really too bad too, I know a lot of obese people who are great folks.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Yes but would you let your daughter marry one or let one move in
next door!

FFS, what has body shape got to do with anything outside the medical
sphere.

Old March 27th 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 3/26/2010 9:07 PM, M0WYM wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:

Its really too bad too, I know a lot of obese people who are great folks.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Yes but would you let your daughter marry one or let one move in next door!

FFS, what has body shape got to do with anything outside the medical
sphere.

I know people that have been quite obese and have dropped 150 or more
pounds while out of my sight. Without mentioning they were up to
anything so sinister.

I know people that have fought their weight for their entire lives and
can do nothing about it, even with serious and severe medical assistance
and being warned it will eventually kill them.

So obesity is a mixed bag, almost always very tough to deal with, and
nothing for anyone to make fun of. I assume just making fun is what you
were doing. Unless you're a total ass. At this point, I'll give you
the benefit of the doubt.

tom
K0TAR