Old March 27th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Default Amateur radio on Linux

On 3/26/2010 9:07 PM, M0WYM wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:

Its really too bad too, I know a lot of obese people who are great folks.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Yes but would you let your daughter marry one or let one move in next door!

FFS, what has body shape got to do with anything outside the medical
sphere.

I will reply about , but not in any way apologize for, what I wrote a
few minutes ago.

When you write a first line like what you did, you should expect that
some people will immediately go blind and respond harshly.

That is not an apology, I still think you may be an ass.

tom
K0TAR
Old March 29th 10, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

M0WYM wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:

Fine. My interpretation of Amateur is a person who cannot do
things in a professional manner, a person who is interested in
something, but for lack of intelligence, skill, persistence, or
talent, will never become proficient in what they are interested
in.

You are entitled to your extremely judgemental interpretation but it is
not necessarily correct!

An amateur is a person who is not a professional, a professional is
someone who is paid for their skill(s). Nowhere does it say that
either is competent or incompetent. Many amateurs are vastly more
skilled than professionals operating in the same area.

Incapable of recognizing sarcasm, or just looking for an argument?

I was replying to our good D. Stussy, who indeed has a problem with the
word amateur, and seems to have issues with the obese.

I am an amateur radio operator in the classic definition, that of one
who loves the activity, not in the much more recent corruption of the
word - that of non-professional or shoddy.

Most very strange in a world where I can perform most activities much
better than th eso called professionals.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old March 29th 10, 06:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

M0WYM wrote:
Michael Coslo wrote:

Its really too bad too, I know a lot of obese people who are great folks.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Yes but would you let your daughter marry one or let one move in next door!

Yes and yes.

FWIW, my son was engaged to one of the most stunnningly beautiful and
not-an-ounce-of-fat young ladies I ever met. She turned out to have a
not-so-stunning personality as we got to know her better.

It's a physical thing, I'm more interested in minds - and I'll take a
fat nice person any day over an evil thin one.

FFS, what has body shape got to do with anything outside the medical
sphere.

Darned if I know.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -