Old May 1st 10, 01:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Meandering Antenna

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the Meandering Antenna or
Meandering Dipole, I have found an article in Pat Hawkers book but the
drawings are a bit hard to understand.
I have limited space and was considering building one for 7.1 mhz

Thanks
John

Old May 1st 10, 02:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 30, 7:25*pm, "VK2KC" wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the Meandering Antenna or
Meandering Dipole, I have found an article in Pat Hawkers book but the
drawings are a bit hard to understand.
I have limited space and was considering building one for 7.1 mhz

Thanks
John

John, the laws of Maxwell contain only distributed loads thus actual
loads have to go thru the canceling process leaving only the
disturbance at the bends unaccounted for.
Cheers
Art
Old May 1st 10, 06:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 01 May 2010 00:25:39 GMT, "VK2KC" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the Meandering Antenna or
Meandering Dipole, I have found an article in Pat Hawkers book but the
drawings are a bit hard to understand.
I have limited space and was considering building one for 7.1 mhz

Hi John,

It is deceptively simple, and excruciatingly difficult to both build,
or to describe. That is the wonder of "meander." Just by the English
alone, it should inform you that how do you duplicate the meander of a
drunk's walk? It's like trying to gracefully do a toe-to-heel amble
20 meters along a 12 meter long sidewalk. Imagine trying to follow
turn and distance instructions at the same time while the constabulary
are grading your performance.

There is no defined path length to the drunk's stagger, and there is
no defined length to a 7.1MHz Meander dipole. If it doesn't tune up
after you build it, then you did it wrong. In other words, it's an
academic joke.

Can't get much clearer than that.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old May 1st 10, 07:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote in
:

Can't get much clearer than that.

I recall one of my RF neighbours (VK2BBC) telling stations he was using a
BTMD. That certainly (in those days) sparked a bit of interest, some new
type of fabulous antenna? What was it?

The acronym was for Bent Twisted Mangled Dipole.

Same concept, different implementation!

Owen
Old May 1st 10, 02:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1 mayo, 02:25, "VK2KC" wrote:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the Meandering Antenna or
Meandering Dipole, I have found an article in Pat Hawkers book but the
drawings are a bit hard to understand.
I have limited space and was considering building one for 7.1 mhz

Thanks
John

Hello,

I assume that you talk about meandering like the zig/zag pattern on a
viper or the pattern of a sidewinder. At other frequencies, yes I do
have.

Meandering increases the inductance per unit of length, so the
propagating wave slows down. This results in a reduction of resonant
length.

The zig/zag wire pieces do, however, not contribute to the far field
radiation. Given the same feed current, the meandered dipole radiates
less then the full HW one, so the radiation resistance goes down.
When your dipole length is about half of the full size length, feed
point impedance goes down with almost factor 4.

When you experience good VSWR in a center fed short meandered dipole,
you can be sure to have losses.

Best regards,

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
remove abc first in case of PM

Old May 1st 10, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 1, 9:10*am, Wimpie wrote:

I assume that you talk about meandering like the zig/zag pattern on a
viper or the pattern of a sidewinder. At other frequencies, yes I do
have.

There was this ham who came home drunk and spent 20 minutes beating
his dipole to death.
Old May 1st 10, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 1, 2:37*pm, Bill wrote:
On May 1, 9:10*am, Wimpie wrote:

I assume that you talk about meandering like the zig/zag pattern on a
viper or the pattern of a sidewinder. At other frequencies, yes I do
have.

There was this ham who came home drunk and spent 20 minutes beating
his dipole to death.

What a Meanderthal... :/
Old May 2nd 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On May 1, 8:10*am, Wimpie wrote:
On 1 mayo, 02:25, "VK2KC" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of the Meandering Antenna or
Meandering Dipole, I have found an article in Pat Hawkers book but the
drawings are a bit hard to understand.
I have limited space and was considering building one for 7.1 mhz

Thanks
John

Hello,

I assume that you talk about meandering like the zig/zag pattern on a
viper or the pattern of a sidewinder. At other frequencies, yes I do
have.

Meandering increases the inductance per unit of length, so the
propagating wave slows down. This results in a reduction of resonant
length.

The zig/zag wire pieces do, however, not contribute to the far field

??????

This is news to me! Can you give me a reference ?
This clearly suggests that a twin wire formed in a closed circuit
helix cannot radiate in the far field when it clearly can regardless
of slow wave. If the dipole is clearly in equilibrium it cannot fail
to radiate but then everything depends on the presented aparture and
what medium it is operating under, such as a submarine at some depth
in sea water versus fresh water. I have found that such arrangements
start out at over 100 ohms and then gradually dampen down to 50 ohms
when you start to exceed twice the full wave length and it comprises
of a fully connected electrical wire circuit

A fine example of a meander circuit would be a fractal arranged in
full circuit form
Regards
Art

Old May 2nd 10, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 5/1/2010 8:03 PM, Art Unwin wrote:
On May 1, 8:10 am, wrote:

snip

[...]

Another fine example of yourself, Art.

Yes, of course it's news to you. Your physics is from a different universe.

Nothing you typed has anything to do with the thread. As usual. It's
just a continuation of your dysreality monologue.

tom
K0TAR
Old May 2nd 10, 10:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 2 mayo, 03:03, Art Unwin wrote:
On May 1, 8:10*am, Wimpie wrote:

On 1 mayo, 02:25, "VK2KC" wrote:

[...]

Hello Art,

The zig/zag or square wave pattern is frequently used in planar
structures (PCB antennas or metal on plastic/paper).

Regarding your request for references, look at UHF (800-900 MHz) RFID
tags/transponders (TI, Alian, Rafsec, Feig, Deister, Sams, etc). They
use meandering to shorten the overall length of half wave resonating
structures. The radiaton pattern still matches that of a dipole, so
negligible radiation in axial direction. As you are a ham also, it is
not too difficult to prove this yourself.

To get some axial sensitivity, the width of the structure should no
longer be overall length of structure.

Best regards,
Wim
PA3DJS