Old July 13th 10, 08:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default PL-259 on satellite TV coax?

I must replace the 100+ ft. coax run in a receive-only antenna system
that includes a Transi-Tap transient discharger and a Magnetic
Longwire Balun impedance transformer, and both have SO-239's.

It used to be RG-58, but foam-dielectric 75-ohm sat-TV coax is
everywhere, low-loss, well shielded, cheap etc.and I am sure I can
live with the extra mismatch.

However, its shield is aluminum foil. It can't be soldered, so the
plug has to be twist-on or maybe crimp-on type. The center conductor
is copper or copperclad and therefore can be soldered.

Years ago I did use things that looked like screw-on PL-259's on the
300+ ft. sat-TV coax run that feeds my homemade T2FD. They work
perfectly, but I'd be darned if I can find some anymore around here.
So I have to buy online unseen, if I can find any. I located exactly
one expensive supplier, in the UK, that lists "twist-on PL-259's for
RG-58" and they don't look like mine.

QUESTIONS:

- Do twist-on / crimp-on PL259's for RG-58 still exist?
- Do they go by any special name I can't guess?
- Whatever they're actually called, do they fit sat-TV coax?
- Suggestions for suppliers? Or should they be available everywhere?

I hope I hadn't chanced on a nonstandard type!

Thank you in advance!

N1JPR/I2

Old July 13th 10, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

spamhog wrote:
I must replace the 100+ ft. coax run in a receive-only antenna system
that includes a Transi-Tap transient discharger and a Magnetic
Longwire Balun impedance transformer, and both have SO-239's.

We had a long discussion about this about a month ago.

The short of it is to buy the appropriate COMPRESSION connectors (not
crimp on or screw on) ones and use adaptors.

You have to make sure you get the right ones, the ones for RG-59, RG-6 and
RG-6QS are different. F connectors are easy to find and cheap, BNC ones are
harder to find and more expensive.

Geoff.

To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
dessert. As part of the socialized health plan, you are forbidden to eat it. :-)