Old April 5th 04, 01:01 AM
Al - VA3KAI

I'm not a technical expert like many on this group, but I have used a
Antennas & More TNT-Windom (OCF dipole) for a few years now both in an
inverted-vee dipole and "windom half-square" configuration up 35'
(33V'-66H'-33V') set up N-S. This TNT model has a choke balun near the
feedpoint that helps with RF on the coax.

The best set-up was the half-square which had low angle broadside gain E-W
on 40M and on some higher bands. Good 80M coverage given the height too and
excellent DX above 40M. Good matches everywhere (17M & 12M too, more
difficult on 30M, 15M and 10M) but my built-in tuner on the TS450SAT did it
all regardless. I even used an external tuner for 160M tuning - poor
performance, but okay for 400 miles around - for extra multis in contests.

I think this model is better than the Carolina Windom because the Carolina
vertical element needs to be 15' from any metal - according to a phone call
to the manufacturer. I hang from a TV tower now so the tower proximity
would interact much more the Carolina model.

This was my 2nd commercial purchase to replace a hurting G5RV and I feel it
works MUCH better than the G5RV it replaced. I still use it for 80M-40M
portable contest work.

...... va3kai

"JJ" wrote in message
I am thinking of putting up a windom antenna (see
http://www.hfantennas.com/Products.htm )and would like comments from
anyone who is using or has used one about the performance. Primay band
of interest will be 40 meters.

Thanks

Old April 5th 04, 01:46 AM
Dave Shrader

Cecil Moore wrote:
Dave Shrader wrote:

I believe that today's "Windoms" are not true Windoms!!

My 1956 ARRL Handbook says that a Windom is fed with a
single vertical wire. If an antenna with Windom dimensions
is fed with a transmission line rather than a single vertical
wire, in the 1956 ARRL Handbook, it is called an "Off Center
Fed" dipole.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

My Handbook shows the same thing. This only confirms that both of us
have been in ham radio too long!!!

My first Novice 80 CW antenna was a true Windom. W1GID, Ralph Tedford,
one of my early Elmers, installed it for me. I ran an ARC 5 transmitter
into it. Funny thing though, I kept getting tingling sensations off the
key until I lengthened the feed line about 25 feet :-)

I earned my first award with that radio and antenna: "WATV"

Deacon Dave, W1MCE for 50 years

Old April 5th 04, 03:26 AM
Cecil Moore

Dave Shrader wrote:
My first Novice 80 CW antenna was a true Windom. W1GID, Ralph Tedford,
one of my early Elmers, installed it for me. I ran an ARC 5 transmitter
into it. Funny thing though, I kept getting tingling sensations off the
key until I lengthened the feed line about 25 feet :-)

I also ran an ARC 5 into an OCF when I was in college. Used 300 ohm
twinlead and a Heathkit air-core balun. Worked well enough for WAS-2.

Deacon Dave, W1MCE for 50 years

--
73, Cecil, W5DXP for longer than that. :-)

Old April 5th 04, 09:23 AM
Mark Keith

"garigue" wrote in message news:Nz%bc.75735$JO3.40076@attbi_s04...
I am thinking of putting up a windom antenna (see
http://www.hfantennas.com/Products.htm )and would like comments from
anyone who is using or has used one about the performance. Primay band
of interest will be 40 meters.

Hello JJ ...... I am using a Carolina Windom which is really on OCF dipole
from what I gather. How does it work ??? Well I much prefer my old inverted
vees

Don't tell them this...This will ruin my plan for less work and more
sleep on field day night...:/ MK
Old April 5th 04, 07:10 PM
Dave Shrader

Cecil Moore wrote:

SNIP

I also ran an ARC 5 into an OCF when I was in college. Used 300 ohm
twinlead and a Heathkit air-core balun. Worked well enough for WAS-2.

SNIP

--
73, Cecil, W5DXP for longer than that. :-)

I threw away a B&W 250 watt air-core balun, 4:1 or 1:1 selectable, when
we changed QTH from Massachusetts to NH.

Wish I had kept it!!

Cecil, I know we are close in age and close in our university careers.
When were you licensed? My W1MCE is first re-issue in the mid 1950s and
predates the 'K' series of calls by a year or more.

Deacon Dave

Old April 5th 04, 08:41 PM
Cecil Moore

Dave Shrader wrote:
Cecil, I know we are close in age and close in our university careers.
When were you licensed? My W1MCE is first re-issue in the mid 1950s and
predates the 'K' series of calls by a year or more.

My WN5DXP was a first re-issue in 1951. I was 13 at the time with
a Hallicrafters S53A and a Globe Scout 65B. So I'm working on my
second half century as a ham. (The 'K' calls always seemed kind
of sissy to me. :-)
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Old April 6th 04, 01:56 AM
K9MOV

Watch-it now!!
Lane-- K9MOV
Old April 6th 04, 04:38 AM
KU2S

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:28:09 GMT, "Annette & LJ Dumas"
wrote:

The Portsmouth, VA ARC (W4POX) uses them during Field Day on 40 & 80 M,
we've had outstanding results.

Joe
N2LJD
"JJ" wrote in message
I am thinking of putting up a windom antenna (see
http://www.hfantennas.com/Products.htm )and would like comments from
anyone who is using or has used one about the performance. Primay band
of interest will be 40 meters.

Thanks

I use a homebrewed Windom antenna as my sole HF antenna. Works VERY
well on 80, 40, 30, 20, 15 and 10 meters. Tunes easily with an
MFJ-941D tuner, and performs very well in all directions. It's a
little twitchy on 12 and 17 meters, but by reducing output power on
the transmitter, it's useable...

Raymond Sirois KU2S
SysOp: The Lost Chord BBS
607-733-5745
telnet://thelostchord.dns2go.com:6000
Old April 6th 04, 05:25 PM
Winston

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:46:15 -0700, JJ
wrote:

I am thinking of putting up a windom antenna (see
http://www.hfantennas.com/Products.htm )and would like comments from
anyone who is using or has used one about the performance. Primay band
of interest will be 40 meters.

Thanks

I have operated on both an 80 meter G5RV and an 80 meter Carolina
Windom. Both performed well, but I lean towards the Carolina Windom.
The SWR on the Windom is below 3:1 on all bands and my internal tuner
has yet to have a problem matching it to any frequency. I resolved
the problem of the vertical arm by supporting at the feed point with a
fiberglass mast at 40 feet.

Hi, Robert

Win/W0lz

Old April 6th 04, 06:34 PM
Cecil Moore

Winston wrote:
I have operated on both an 80 meter G5RV and an 80 meter Carolina
Windom. Both performed well, but I lean towards the Carolina Windom.
The SWR on the Windom is below 3:1 on all bands and my internal tuner
has yet to have a problem matching it to any frequency. I resolved
the problem of the vertical arm by supporting at the feed point with a
fiberglass mast at 40 feet.

Shorten the series section transformer length on the G5RV to 22 feet
and you will have no trouble tuning it to a match on 75m.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP