Old April 4th 04, 04:46 AM
JJ

Default Windom antenna

I am thinking of putting up a windom antenna (see
http://www.hfantennas.com/Products.htm )and would like comments from
anyone who is using or has used one about the performance. Primay band
of interest will be 40 meters.

Thanks

Old April 4th 04, 07:26 AM
bunnydawg

I have a friend down in Missouri that just put one up. He's having
excellent results with it from what i gather.
Winston are you around somewhere ?
Robert
VE3 something or other.

Old April 4th 04, 03:28 PM
Annette & LJ Dumas

The Portsmouth, VA ARC (W4POX) uses them during Field Day on 40 & 80 M,
we've had outstanding results.

Joe
N2LJD

Old April 4th 04, 03:58 PM
'Doc

'JJ',
'Windom' antennas work well if they are used/erected
properly. They aren't really any 'better' than any other
antenna used properly. The 'all band with no tuning' is
more 'sales hype' than fact. But, they do work.
I think the particular antenna you are looking at is
more accurately called an 'Off Center fed' than a 'Windom',
but that's sort of 'picky'...
'Doc

PS - I also think the price is sort of 'steep', for a basically
simple antenna.
Old April 4th 04, 04:52 PM
Dave Shrader

I believe that today's "Windoms" are not true Windoms!!

Ah Ha! Blasphemy surfaces.

As soon as "Ice Out" and the end of "Mud" season occurs I will be
installing a 1930s version of the "Windom".

Used one from Massachusetts with results equal to a dipole but simpler
construction.

DD, W1MCE

Old April 4th 04, 05:29 PM
Cecil Moore

Dave Shrader wrote:
I believe that today's "Windoms" are not true Windoms!!

My 1956 ARRL Handbook says that a Windom is fed with a
single vertical wire. If an antenna with Windom dimensions
is fed with a transmission line rather than a single vertical
wire, in the 1956 ARRL Handbook, it is called an "Off Center
Fed" dipole.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Old April 4th 04, 08:31 PM
JJ

'Doc wrote:
'JJ',
'Windom' antennas work well if they are used/erected
properly. They aren't really any 'better' than any other
antenna used properly. The 'all band with no tuning' is
more 'sales hype' than fact. But, they do work.
I think the particular antenna you are looking at is
more accurately called an 'Off Center fed' than a 'Windom',
but that's sort of 'picky'...
'Doc

PS - I also think the price is sort of 'steep', for a basically
simple antenna.

I wonder about this one working all bands without a tuner. I need
something simple for the moment that I can quickly put up and work
several bands. I think this one is what is/was referred to as the
"Carolina Windom"? Thanks to everyone for the replys, I think I will try it.

Old April 4th 04, 10:19 PM
JJ

garigue wrote:
I am thinking of putting up a windom antenna (see
http://www.hfantennas.com/Products.htm )and would like comments from
anyone who is using or has used one about the performance. Primay band
of interest will be 40 meters.

Hello JJ ...... I am using a Carolina Windom which is really on OCF dipole
from what I gather. How does it work ??? Well I much prefer my old inverted
vees but it does get me on the air on multiple bands with one feed. I am
sure that the marginal height of my system is a negative (about 25-30 feet
or so). Again it does get me on the air and the K-2 tuner handles things
well enough although the thing is supposed to function well without a tuner.

God Bless JJ ...catch you on the air one of these days ..... 73 Tom
Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.

Thanks for the comments Tom. I just need something for now to get back
on the air.

73 - JJ

Old April 4th 04, 10:26 PM
F8BOE

Hello,

I use a home made (low $$$) OCFD type antenna for 80-10m + WARC of the
Fritzel FD4 2kW version's length; fed with 300 Ohms twin lead and a 1/6
current balun out of the shack. It needs only minimal AT tuning for 20m and
the WARC bands, 15m is no problem due to a second shorter OCFD cut for 21
MHz at a common feed point.

For 160-10m operation a 2X20m Levy antenna with Levy tuner and 15-20m
300ohms twin lead would be a better choice.

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-