Old April 7th 04, 01:17 AM
Mike Coslo

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dave Shrader wrote:

I believe that today's "Windoms" are not true Windoms!!

My 1956 ARRL Handbook says that a Windom is fed with a
single vertical wire. If an antenna with Windom dimensions
is fed with a transmission line rather than a single vertical
wire, in the 1956 ARRL Handbook, it is called an "Off Center
Fed" dipole.

Does the OCF dipole feedline radiate by design?

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 7th 04, 02:21 AM
Cecil Moore

Mike Coslo wrote:
Does the OCF dipole feedline radiate by design?

The Windom single-wire feedline radiates by design.
It would be extremely difficult to keep the OCF
feedline from radiating but a 50:300 current balun
at the feedpoint might help.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Old April 7th 04, 08:43 AM
David Ryeburn

In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:
Does the OCF dipole feedline radiate by design?

The Windom single-wire feedline radiates by design.
It would be extremely difficult to keep the OCF
feedline from radiating but a 50:300 current balun
at the feedpoint might help.

Here's a relatively simple way to keep an off-center fed "Windom"
antenna feedline from radiating: Install another Windom antenna of
identical dimensions at an acute or right angle to the existing one. Tie
the long side of the second Windom to the short side of the first one,
and vice versa. Feed the thing with a balanced line, or with coax
through a balun. I don't have EZNEC (it won't run on Macs) so I don't
know what the pattern would be like, but if everything was symmetrical
the feedline ought not radiate.

David, ex W8EZE

--
David Ryeburn

To send e-mail, use "ca" instead of "caz".
Old April 7th 04, 09:27 PM
Mike Coslo

David Ryeburn wrote:
In article ,
Cecil Moore wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

Does the OCF dipole feedline radiate by design?

The Windom single-wire feedline radiates by design.
It would be extremely difficult to keep the OCF
feedline from radiating but a 50:300 current balun
at the feedpoint might help.

Here's a relatively simple way to keep an off-center fed "Windom"
antenna feedline from radiating: Install another Windom antenna of
identical dimensions at an acute or right angle to the existing one. Tie
the long side of the second Windom to the short side of the first one,
and vice versa. Feed the thing with a balanced line, or with coax
through a balun. I don't have EZNEC (it won't run on Macs) so I don't
know what the pattern would be like, but if everything was symmetrical
the feedline ought not radiate.

I just wonder if the feedline radiation might be a necessary pat of the
OCF Dipole

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 7th 04, 10:52 PM
Ken Fowler

On 7-Apr-2004, David Ryeburn wrote:

The Windom single-wire feedline radiates by design.
It would be extremely difficult to keep the OCF
feedline from radiating but a 50:300 current balun
at the feedpoint might help.

Here's a relatively simple way to keep an off-center fed "Windom"
antenna feedline from radiating: Install another Windom antenna of
identical dimensions at an acute or right angle to the existing one. Tie
the long side of the second Windom to the short side of the first one,
and vice versa. Feed the thing with a balanced line, or with coax
through a balun. I don't have EZNEC (it won't run on Macs) so I don't
know what the pattern would be like, but if everything was symmetrical
the feedline ought not radiate.

David, ex W8EZE

--
David Ryeburn

To send e-mail, use "ca" instead of "caz".

I modeled the above with EZNEC using two perpendicular one-half wave elements one-quarter wave above
ground at 7.2 Mhz. Each half-wave was divided at a point one-sixth wave from the end The short end
on each side of the feedpoint was connected to the long end of the perpendicular wire. The source
was placed on a 2 inch wire between the two short-long pairs. I included a wire to ground from one
side of the feed point to show shield current.

At 7.2 Mhz, the feedpoint impedance was 59 - j157. I didn't attempt any element adjustments to make
it resonant. The far-field pattern approaches omni-directional with 7.7 dbi at an elevation of 60
deg. The wire from feedpoint to ground shows very little current.

At 14.3 Mhz, the feedpoint impedance is 37 + j138. The far-field pattern is bi-directional with 11
dbi at an elevaton of 30 deg. The wire from feedpoint to ground shows current similar to the
element current.

So it appears to me that the feedline may not radiate on some frequency but definitely will radiate
on others.

Ken Fowler, KO6NO

Old April 8th 04, 01:01 PM
Mike Coslo

Ken Fowler wrote:
[...]

I think David might have been *very* tongue in cheek in his comment,
Ken. Sounds like his suggestion is saying "If you want a windom to not
radiate on the feedline, you turn it into a dipole." 8^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 8th 04, 02:27 PM
John Passaneau

Hi Mike:

The answer is yes and no. Some designs use the part of the feed line as a
radiator some don't
The ones the don't have a 1:1 choke balun at some magic point down the
feedline (if they are using coax) to stop the RF from getting into the
shack, others designs use a balun at the feed point to isolate the feedline
from the antenna. I think the "Carolina Windom" uses the feedline as part of
the antenna and the ones that call themselves "windoms" or OFC's don't. Its
all marketing and sloppy use of names.

--
John Passaneau, W3JXP
Penn State University

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Old April 9th 04, 12:52 PM
N2EY

In article ,
"Annette & LJ Dumas" writes:

The Portsmouth, VA ARC (W4POX) uses them during Field Day on 40 & 80 M,
we've had outstanding results.

How many QSOs on how many band/modes?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old April 15th 04, 01:52 AM
AK

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
.. . . The 'K' calls always seemed kind of sissy to me.
--
73, Cecil, W5DXP

Shades of "Old Yellow" -
"CQ CQ CQ no kids, no lids, no K's and NO WA's"
Maybe OY is why I went back to my original K call.
HI HI
K4YKZ (ex-W7BZO, ex-W1EFG, ex-WZ8A)

Old April 15th 04, 02:19 AM
Andy

"Incognito" wrote in message
newsilfc.3663$432.3379@fed1read01...
Dub Oh You as opposed to Kay
Which is better for phone DXing I ask ?

For contests, the shorter the better.

Of course, the Y K and Z are not much help.