Old October 2nd 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Grounding An Antenna Question ?

Hello,

I have the normal lightning arresters for my outside (receive only)
antenna, but am still worried.

It has proven just about impossible to have my son to remember to
disconnect my receiver when lightning and thunder is nearby when I am away.

Was thinking about putting in one of those A/B switches (please see:
http://www.grove-ent.com/SWC01.html ) that Grove sells in the antenna
line next to my Receiver.

This, being so simple, perhaps he can remember to switch to the Off
position. Maybe ?

I realize that if there is any strike nearby, and it gets thru the
arrestors, this switch being in the off position isn't going to do much
of anything.

But it might help for "low" voltage surges, etc.
What do you think ?

My main question: would it help even more if this Off position grounded
the antenna ?

Thanks,
Bob
Old October 2nd 10, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 2, 11:14*am, Bob wrote:
[...]

well, if your son can't remember then why don't you just disconnect
when you leave. i tried having my dog disconnect, but he has a poor
memory for that also and usually hides under the table when there is
thunder.

otherwise, if you don't trust the lightning arrester you have, why
have it? if it doesn't stop the transient then any switch inside
probably won't either. grounding again inside is also a problem, if
the current is inside already then sending it to another ground
probably won't help, it will just go somewhere else.
Old October 2nd 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 07:14:07 -0400, Bob wrote:

I have the normal lightning arresters for my outside (receive only)
antenna, but am still worried.

Hi Bob,

Research this group through Google for methods of building a grounded
antenna: loop, shunt-fed, folded dipole/monopole, etc.

OR

Build an electronic switchable antenna switch (AKA relay) that is only
connected to your antenna when someone's butt is planted in the chair.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

New Receiving Antenna Comments, And Grounding Question Robert11 Shortwave 27 April 25th 06 06:09 PM
Antenna and Grounding question Gene Antenna 1 March 3rd 05 02:54 AM
Grounding Question Nick Scanner 2 January 17th 05 07:44 PM
Grounding Question Gerry Moersdorf Antenna 11 October 26th 04 05:06 AM
Antenna mast grounding question Mike Ekholm Antenna 25 December 5th 03 08:26 AM