Old November 2nd 10, 01:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Converting terminal strip to watertight connector.

I have a Ham-M rotor that was built with a terminal strip in it's base
to which the rotor control cable can be terminated. I would like to
convert the connection to a watertight connector that could be made up
in advance to facilitate rapid deployment and tear down for EMCOMM
work as well as eliminate the corrosion that happens on the terminal
strip. Has anyone done this and how did you go about it? I would
also like to terminate the controller end in a connector for the same
speed of deployment and tear down issues.

I thought it might make sense to use the same connector at both ends
and have the same type at each end of the cable so that either end
could go to either device. Any advice and cautions are welcome both
on list and off.

--
Tom Horne, W3TDH
Old November 2nd 10, 12:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 11/1/2010 9:26 PM, Tom Horne wrote:
I have a Ham-M rotor that was built with a terminal strip in it's base
to which the rotor control cable can be terminated. I would like to
convert the connection to a watertight connector that could be made up
in advance to facilitate rapid deployment and tear down for EMCOMM
work as well as eliminate the corrosion that happens on the terminal
strip. Has anyone done this and how did you go about it? I would
also like to terminate the controller end in a connector for the same
speed of deployment and tear down issues.

I thought it might make sense to use the same connector at both ends
and have the same type at each end of the cable so that either end
could go to either device. Any advice and cautions are welcome both
on list and off.

--
Tom Horne, W3TDH

Hi Tom:

The best way is to remove the terminal strip and replace it with a metal
plate and use that anchor a pig tale of wire with a water proof
connector. One of the rotor re-builders does that as one of their
services. They use a plastic AN style connector. I had it done to my
rotor as part of the rebuild a few years ago. If you do it your self
make sure the connector can handle the current required to run the
rotor. A pig tale is required as its not possable to mount the connector
directly on the bottom of the rotor.

John W3JXP
Old November 2nd 10, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Nov 1, 6:26*pm, Tom Horne wrote:
I have a Ham-M rotor that was built with a terminal strip in it's base
to which the rotor control cable can be terminated. *I would like to
convert the connection to a watertight connector that could be made up
in advance to facilitate rapid deployment and tear down for EMCOMM
work as well as eliminate the corrosion that happens on the terminal
strip. *Has anyone done this and how did you go about it? *I would
also like to terminate the controller end in a connector for the same
speed of deployment and tear down issues.

I thought it might make sense to use the same connector at both ends
and have the same type at each end of the cable so that either end
could go to either device. *Any advice and cautions are welcome both
on list and off.

--
Tom Horne, W3TDH

We used to build the electronic control unit for a now defunct
motorcycle company. They used Delphi automotive connectors that are
water proof and will handle 14 amps at 12 volt. There are many
different connectors styles and pin counts. Perhaps something in that
line would work for your application. Don't know who is distributor,
as we had to buy direct from the factory.

Another source might be an auto wrecking yard.

Paul, KD7HB

converting dBm to uV/m Ron J Antenna 18 January 3rd 11 02:49 PM
Wanted R-390A IF Strip Chris Swap 0 June 4th 08 04:09 AM
Bearcat 800xlt - what type of connector for the external antenna connector John Scanner 8 May 19th 06 06:28 PM
need IF strip PDRUNEN Homebrew 1 January 24th 05 05:14 PM
FS/WTT VHF Amp Strip Mike Kulyk Swap 0 December 13th 03 07:17 PM