Old November 3rd 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default LADDER LINE SPREADERS

I can only imagine how many minutes that they would hold up in the
Texas heat and sun. You never know, though.

Thanks everyone.
I have food for thought.

Joe

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 09:43:59 -0400, John Ferrell
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 22:56:44 -0500, justme wrote:

Hi, Folks.

I need ideas for CHEAP and uv stable, strong, light weight, waterproof
ladder line spreaders of about 4 or 5 inches wide. Wood in any
configuration will not do. PVC pipe will not do. Welding rod would
do but it is expensive.

I was thinking of Fiberglas tape, twisted and put in place and then
resin applied but that is very cumbersome.

Any ideas out there?

Thank you.

In the last couple of days I saw somewhere on the internet where some
one used a lot of disposable BIC razors for the task...
John Ferrell W8CCW

Old November 3rd 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

justme wrote in
:

Hi, Folks.

I need ideas for CHEAP and uv stable, strong, light weight, waterproof
ladder line spreaders of about 4 or 5 inches wide. Wood in any
configuration will not do. PVC pipe will not do. Welding rod would
do but it is expensive.

I was thinking of Fiberglas tape, twisted and put in place and then
resin applied but that is very cumbersome.

Any ideas out there?

Have you considered 4mm rigid black PE irrigation risers?

Owen
Old November 3rd 10, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

justme wrote:
Didn't think of that. I wish they made 1/4 inch. However, I will
surely look at it.

They DO make 1/4"... drip irrigation tubing

Thanks

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 04:38:18 -0700 (PDT), Cecil Moore
wrote:

On Nov 2, 10:56 pm, justme wrote:
Any ideas out there?

One half inch black plastic irrigation tubing is inexpensive and
designed to withstand the elements. Cut it to length, drill opposing
holes at each end (a little smaller than the wire insulation) and cut
a key-hole slot from each hole. Clip the holes around the wire and
enjoy.

Old November 3rd 10, 10:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

One concern about black plastic tubing...

some kinds use carbon black as a filler, which makes them resistive.
Probably not an issue for relatively low voltages in an RF feedline, but
not good for the Van deGraaff generator, etc.

Old November 3rd 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Nov 2, 10:56*pm, justme wrote:
Hi, Folks.

I need ideas for CHEAP and uv stable, strong, light weight, waterproof
ladder line spreaders of about 4 or 5 inches wide. * Wood in any
configuration will not do. *PVC pipe will not do. *Welding rod would
do but it is expensive.

I was thinking of Fiberglas tape, twisted and put in place and then
resin applied but that is very cumbersome.

Any ideas out there?

Thank you.

One other thing that I have seen mentioned on this newsgroup, is
plastic clothes hangers chopped up. They are about 3/8" in diameter
and are cheap. Not sure about UV resistant.

Gary N4AST

Old November 4th 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Nov 3, 5:14*pm, Gary wrote:

One other thing that I have seen mentioned on this newsgroup, is
plastic clothes hangers chopped up. *They are about 3/8" in diameter
and are cheap. *Not sure about UV resistant.

Gary N4AST

I've used those for small insulators. They do break down and
get brittle after a while. But it takes a while. Being as they
wouldn't be holding as much strain compared to using them
for end insulators, they might last a fairly long time before
one broke at one of the holes.
But the UV will do a number on them in the long term.
Little strips of clear Lexan window material might last for a
fairly decent amount of time. It's pretty strong, so will take
a while to get weak enough to break with the fairly low
tensions involved.

Old November 5th 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Nov 2, 11:56*pm, justme wrote:
Hi, Folks.

I need ideas for CHEAP and uv stable, strong, light weight, waterproof
ladder line spreaders of about 4 or 5 inches wide. * Wood in any
configuration will not do. *PVC pipe will not do. *Welding rod would
do but it is expensive.

I was thinking of Fiberglas tape, twisted and put in place and then
resin applied but that is very cumbersome.

Any ideas out there?

Thank you.

Fiberglas electric cattle fence poles...various sizes, Sears and
Tractor Supply, among others, have them. Cut into appropriate size and
drill holes on eaach end. Fairly cheap.
Old November 5th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 22:56:44 -0500, justme wrote:

Hi, Folks.

I need ideas for CHEAP and uv stable, strong, light weight, waterproof
ladder line spreaders of about 4 or 5 inches wide. Wood in any
configuration will not do. PVC pipe will not do. Welding rod would
do but it is expensive.

I was thinking of Fiberglas tape, twisted and put in place and then
resin applied but that is very cumbersome.

Any ideas out there?

Thank you.

If you live in a rural area, check the hardware or farm supply stores
for electric fence insulators. The ones in my hardware store are 5 or
6 inches long and cost a few dollars per hundred.

Old November 5th 10, 01:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 22:56:44 -0500, justme wrote:

Hi, Folks.

I need ideas for CHEAP and uv stable, strong, light weight, waterproof
ladder line spreaders of about 4 or 5 inches wide. Wood in any
configuration will not do. PVC pipe will not do. Welding rod would
do but it is expensive.

I was thinking of Fiberglas tape, twisted and put in place and then
resin applied but that is very cumbersome.

Any ideas out there?

Thank you.

Check the pictures here. This guy's ladderline is pretty good. I've
got 50 feet of it I plan to use one of these days.

http://www.trueladderline.com/

Bob
k5qwg
Old November 5th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Gary" wrote in message
One other thing that I have seen mentioned on this newsgroup, is
plastic clothes hangers chopped up. They are about 3/8" in diameter
and are cheap. Not sure about UV resistant.

Gary N4AST

These are generally polystyrene and their UV resistance is not too bad.
They are cheap!

WA4VZQ

ladder line?? W3CQH Antenna 5 June 11th 08 02:15 AM
Using Twin Lead or Ladder Line for your Antenna's Feed-in-Line ? - Then 'consider' a Pair of Vintage Style TV Antenna Clips . . . RHF Shortwave 11 December 29th 05 04:05 AM
Feed Line Length - Ladder Line Pat Whelton Antenna 10 July 7th 05 12:54 AM
WTB: 2" spreaders for open wire line K9SQG Antenna 2 September 29th 03 02:30 AM