Old November 13th 10, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default group appropriate photos

they may not be angelina jolie or any of those other hot, hot, hot
babes the spammer keeps posting, but these are some of the better
views you can find outside of the bedroom:
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2010-Maintenan...fallinspection
Old November 14th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 13:29:31 -0800 (PST), K1TTT
wrote:

they may not be angelina jolie or any of those other hot, hot, hot
babes the spammer keeps posting, but these are some of the better
views you can find outside of the bedroom:
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2010-Maintenan...fallinspection

Nice set of pictures and good blogging.

I was especially interested in your solar project - especially with
the production of MWHrs. Do you have a link to the technology of the
panels you used?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 14th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2010-Maintenan....ashx#fallinsp...

Nice set of pictures and good blogging.

I was especially interested in your solar project - especially with
the production of MWHrs. *Do you have a link to the technology of the
panels you used?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

The installation pics are he
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2010-Maintenan...log.ashx#solar
The production info is he
http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/p...stems/BpbD5251
if you click on one of the links on the top left it will bring up a
warning about needing to login for those functions, but the links on
that warning show you more about how the system works. one of them
is:
http://www.enphaseenergy.com/product...howitworks.cfm
basically each panel has an inverter that feeds power out to the
grid. there are no batteries, no charger, no big inverter, the panels
feed back to the grid directly. i get paid by the kwh by the utility
for what i feed back, and also sell Massachusetts renewable energy
credits to the utilities in the state under our cap and tax program.
Old November 14th 10, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The installation pics are he
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2010-Maintenan...log.ashx#solar

I saw those - thus my inquiry.

The production info is he
http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/p...stems/BpbD5251

Went there too, courtesy of your embedded link. The data of power
generation over time was interesting.

is:
http://www.enphaseenergy.com/product...howitworks.cfm

That was new, and interesting in regards to the distributed conversion
modules - makes good sense.

However, I would still like to know the raw performance data of the
panel (size, power rating, efficiency, ....).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 14th 10, 01:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Nov 14, 1:54*am, Richard Clark wrote:
The installation pics are he
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2010-Maintenan...log.ashx#solar

I saw those - thus my inquiry.

The production info is he
http://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/p...stems/BpbD5251

Went there too, courtesy of your embedded link. *The data of power
generation over time was interesting.

is:
http://www.enphaseenergy.com/product...howitworks.cfm

That was new, and interesting in regards to the distributed conversion
modules - makes good sense.

However, I would still like to know the raw performance data of the
panel (size, power rating, efficiency, ....).

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

sorry, one more link: http://www.trinasolar.com/pdf/TSL-DA01.pdf
mine are the TSM-DA01 185w panels. so read the right hand column of
the table.

Old November 14th 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 04:09:37 -0800 (PST), K1TTT
wrote:

[...]

Thanx, that pulls it all together. Not NASA quality, but still pretty
high performance. Have you thought of geothermal? Sitting here
between several dormant-to-active volcanos, and on top of several
faults, the options are numerous here in Rain City. (Cost at roughly
$20K)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 14th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

not very likely on this coast... i doubt that there has been any
active hotspots around here for many millions of years. besides, the
feds and state don't give any grants and tax incentives for drilling
holes in the ground. if it weren't for the state grant for
construction, state cap and tax law that will pay me for my power, and
state and federal tax credits, this would not have been economically
worth while.
Old November 15th 10, 06:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default solar power was group appropriate photos

K1TTT wrote:
they may not be angelina jolie or any of those other hot, hot, hot
babes the spammer keeps posting, but these are some of the better
views you can find outside of the bedroom:
http://wiki.k1ttt.net/2010-Maintenan...fallinspection

Those distributed inverters are becoming more popular, because they
solve a lot of problems.
a) you can size them to be some small number of panels worth, where the
sweet spot is for component costs internally. Many smaller inverters
can be cheaper to make than one big inverter, once you get beyond, say,
where a single semiconductor device is big enough. (like solid state
power amps for RF)

b) you don't have to worry about high power DC wiring, which is a real
pain for things like fusing and grounding.

c) you've already got to have the line synchronization figured out, and
it's done in a single ASIC anyway, so there's no added complexity for
paralleling and scaling. Just rack and stack

It might also help with the firefighter problem.. they aren't wild about
big solar installations because there's no easy way to turn them off.
cut the wires and they're still live, as long as light is shining on
them. I haven't looked in detail, but I could see distributed inverters
each having their own "disconnect" switch to short the panel out, and if
you drop the master interconnect (so there's no grid-tie), then all the
panels will isolate themselves by design, and all the AC wiring will be
dead(-ish)
Old November 15th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Nov 15, 5:55*pm, Jim Lux wrote:
K1TTT wrote:
[...]

there is also no big battery to be serviced or replaced, or to react
with heat or water.. another plus for firefighters. in this
installation there is a breaker box for the 4 rows of panels on the
pole at the panels, a meter box on the end of the house near the
panels, and another breaker where they tie into the main panel... any
one of them is enough to kill power from the panels... and they also
shut off automatically when the grid goes down to prevent backfeeding.