Old April 10th 04, 11:09 PM
Steve Muir

Default HF Antenae, any help here!!!

I live in the SW of the UK and have recently bought a Fairhaven RD 500.
While i have a good aerial set up for my VHF / UHF, i need to set up
something for HF / SW, Any suggestions from you knowledgeable folks out
there would be greatly apreciated.

Also what freqs should i be listening too, im into military, aircraft,
amateuir etc etc

Thanks in advance

Steve (Scottish)

Old April 11th 04, 02:21 AM
Tam/WB2TT

Steve,
I don't know what a Fairhaven RD500 is. However, to hear the services you
want on HF, you need a radio with Single Sideband capability, and an IF
bandwidth of no more than 3 KHz.

Assuming the above is true, as a *first approximation* the longer the wire
and the higher up the better. A 100 foot wire, center fed with coax, and 50
feet up works quite well.

Tam/WB2TT

Tam/WB2TT

Old April 12th 04, 12:23 AM
John - G0WPA

Hi there,

Ive answered your other posting, Homemade Antenae help ATUs and Magnetic
Longwire Baluns etc. As for frequencies, try this site....
http://www.ajpotts.fsnet.co.uk/links.html
its packet with HF military, marine, civil air and Amateur band frequencies. A
copy of Shortwave Magazine is a great read every month(WH smiths), they have HF
utility stuff and wierd stuff like Maritime beacon listening, Numbers stations
and propaganda stuff, its all good fun...
John, G0WPA, Bournemouth.

Having given my Ham callsign, id better make it clear that listening to
ANYTHING except Terry Wogan radio2 is illegal, and up 2 you. mail me if I
can be of any help....