Old March 16th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Ping amdx

Mike -

What are you working on now? Your projects interest me.

Cheers,
John
Old March 17th 11, 02:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John - KD5YI" wrote in message
Mike -

What are you working on now? Your projects interest me.

Cheers,
John

I'm sorry to say that working for a living gets in the way, of my important
to me work :-)
Add to that a few household projects, such as building a fence around one
side of the house,
and some other minor repairs, I haven't had much time.
I'm still on a quest for a high Q inductor of about 240uh. I hope to hit
2000. That involves
building a new polystyrene frame and two or three bundles of 660/46 litz
wire.
I still want to finish the high input impedance amp I had questions
about. I have three PCB's
with the basic amp so one will be with a 0,3pf input cap to 20 Meg and a fet
gate. Another
will be a bootstraped input which as I understand, should be better. The
third is unknown,
If I get the bootstrap working well, I may finish the third and try to sell
it on a crystal radio group.
Summer is the busy time for my business, so I won't get much important
work :-) done for a while.

I have a flag antenna up in my yard.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...P1010128-1.jpg

(Basic Flag antenna info, if your not aware,
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...lag/index.html)

When I built the antenna, the idea was fairly new and I figured there would
be some changes to the design,
with that in mind I built it so I could tilt the crossbeam for easy access
to the matching transformer and
termination resistor. This assembly allows me to tilt the crossbeam.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/P1010135.jpg
By pulling on a rope, the pin slides and allows the tilt.
The mast is also on a rotor.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/P1010129.jpg

There have been a few improvements, such as the Waller,
http://www.n4is.com/waller/BIG_DUAL_LOOP.html
But I have made any changes to mine.
Time to get to work.
Later, Mike
PS. have ya seen my electric gokart? :-)

Old March 17th 11, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 3/17/2011 9:27 AM, amdx wrote:
"John - wrote in message
Mike -

What are you working on now? Your projects interest me.

Cheers,
John

I'm sorry to say that working for a living gets in the way, of my important
to me work :-)
Add to that a few household projects, such as building a fence around one
side of the house,
and some other minor repairs, I haven't had much time.

That's understandable. Well, you can look forward to retirement, then.

I'm still on a quest for a high Q inductor of about 240uh. I hope to hit
2000. That involves
building a new polystyrene frame and two or three bundles of 660/46 litz
wire.

I'm interested in not only whether you achieve your goal, but your
trials and tribulations along the way. Please keep us informed as your
time permits.

I still want to finish the high input impedance amp I had questions
about. I have three PCB's
with the basic amp so one will be with a 0,3pf input cap to 20 Meg and a fet
gate. Another
will be a bootstraped input which as I understand, should be better. The
third is unknown,
If I get the bootstrap working well, I may finish the third and try to sell
it on a crystal radio group.

I'm also very interested in the amp as an aid to achieving your goal.
For some reason, I'm a bit leery about it. However, your progressive
story might change that.

Summer is the busy time for my business, so I won't get much important
work :-) done for a while.

I have a flag antenna up in my yard.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...P1010128-1.jpg

(Basic Flag antenna info, if your not aware,
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...lag/index.html)

Is that a metal mast and how close is the bottom antenna wire? It looks
as if the antenna wire is insulated. Yes?

When I built the antenna, the idea was fairly new and I figured there would
be some changes to the design,
with that in mind I built it so I could tilt the crossbeam for easy access
to the matching transformer and
termination resistor. This assembly allows me to tilt the crossbeam.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/P1010135.jpg

Interesting. You seem to be good at mechanical stuff. I am lousy.

By pulling on a rope, the pin slides and allows the tilt.
The mast is also on a rotor.
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/P1010129.jpg

There have been a few improvements, such as the Waller,
http://www.n4is.com/waller/BIG_DUAL_LOOP.html
But I have made any changes to mine.
Time to get to work.
Later, Mike
PS. have ya seen my electric gokart? :-)

No. Aren't all go carts electric?

Cheers,
John

Old March 18th 11, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John - KD5YI" wrote in message
On 3/17/2011 9:27 AM, amdx wrote:
"John - wrote in message
[...]

Yes, the mast is metal, and the wire is insulated. At the
present time I have
450 ohm ladder line running around the frame as the antenna. I
used that because
I had a thought about some type of phasing between the two
wires, but I have not
done anything further.

[...]

Here's a video, that's about 2 years old. I have since put new deep cycle
batteries on it.
It has a lot of torque, the kids love to do donuts, ok, I do too!
I smoked the first motor after a year or year and a half. Actually the
motor was ok, but
a connection between one 4 gauge wire and eight 16 gauge wires overheated
and created
a lot of smoke. I had a second motor, so I made another motor mount and put
it on.
This started as a project to get my 16 yr old son to build something
instead of play video games.
It was more my project than his, but I had some time with him and he learned
a little, so I'm glad
I did it. He is too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MKjbXltAew
Mikek

Old March 18th 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 3/17/2011 8:45 PM, amdx wrote:

[...]

That's great, Mike.

I hope you have considered the safety aspects of a broken batter in a
collision.

Probably.

Cheers,
John

Old March 18th 11, 12:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John - KD5YI" wrote in message
On 3/17/2011 8:45 PM, amdx wrote:

[...]

Yes, it is a concern, I have thought about a cowling to go over the
batteries,
but so much to do so little time. Retirement 6 long years away, (note to
self,
eat right and exercise so you'll still be healthy in retirement) :-)
Mikek

Old March 18th 11, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 3/18/2011 7:30 AM, amdx wrote:
"John - wrote in message
On 3/17/2011 8:45 PM, amdx wrote:

[...]

Gotcha.

When you mentioned go cart earlier, I was thinking golf cart. That's why
I thought they were all electric. Now that I have my head on straight, I
see that your go cart is an impressive little machine.

Good work.

John

WTB: Ping Moduel "browing ping type " k2000 Swap 0 February 11th 09 07:05 PM
Ping: Roy Wes Stewart Antenna 0 February 18th 06 04:18 PM
Ping! Landshark CB 1 March 5th 05 07:04 AM