Old April 18th 04, 08:31 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default RF Design 90s RLB article ?

Does anyone recall seeing an article for constructing a return loss bridge
in RF Design in late 80s or early 90s? I'd like to see if I can get a
scan, I've been bitten by the RLB bug.
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

Old April 18th 04, 08:38 PM
Harold E. Johnson

Does anyone recall seeing an article for constructing a return loss bridge
in RF Design in late 80s or early 90s? I'd like to see if I can get a
scan, I've been bitten by the RLB bug.

If you finished your VNA, you already have one Hank.

W4ZCB

Old April 19th 04, 02:15 PM
Reg Edwards

Does anyone recall seeing an article for constructing a return loss bridge
in RF Design in late 80s or early 90s? I'd like to see if I can get a
scan, I've been bitten by the RLB bug.

================================

Isn't a return-loss bridge electrically exactly the same as the
common-or-garden SWR meter with the meter scale calibrated in something
different from SWR = 1 to infinity?

Same applies to reflection coefficient bridge.

Old April 19th 04, 03:56 PM

Here is a newsgroup article I saved. I downloaded all of the RFD
programs from this site. Go here. Unwrap the URL.

Henry
http://communities.msn.com/Electrica...tware &fc_a=0

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:30:11 -0700
From: "Neil"
To: "Low Power Amateur Radio Discussion"
Subject: [96966] MSDOS BASIC software archive and RF Design Mag
software archive

For all those who asked about the RF design files:

Click on the "Join Now" icon in upper right corner of page and go from
there.
Involves getting MSN passport which is just e-mail address at
hotmail.com
and password of your choice.

There are nearly a hundred files so can't forward them but could any
single
file from list on that page. they are named RFDXXYY.ZIP where XXis month
and
YY is year.

I downloaded them by right clicking on each and chosing "save target
as".
Some reason it insisted on saving it as xxxx.ZIP.zip so I edited out the
...ZIP from each save as so it became xxxx.zip.

Neil
http://www.aade.com

Almost All Digital Electronics
1412 Elm St. SE
Auburn, WA 98092
253-351-9316
Old April 19th 04, 10:14 PM
Roy Lewallen

You'll also find information about return loss bridges and how to
construct and use them in Hayward, Campbell, and Larkin's _Experimental
Methods in RF Design_ (ARRL) and its now out-of-print predecessor _Solid
State Design for the Radio Amateur_ by Hayward and DeMaw (ARRL).

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old April 20th 04, 05:38 AM
Tom Bruhns

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message om...
Return loss is the
fraction of power that isn't absorbed by the load. See QST April 1959 pp
24-28 for Warren Bruene's article, "An Inside Picture of Directional
Wattmeters."

You can find lots of references on the web, too. I think Charles
Wenzel's pages are almost always quite good, and recommend
http://www.wenzel.com/documents/swr.html, but a simple search may well
turn up things that suit your learning style better.

Cheers,
Tom

PS...Hank...sending a scan-to-text of the annual indexes for about
1988-1992, for couplers and whatever else was close to them on those
pages. I suspect it may be Joel Dunsmore's "Simple SMT Bridge Circuit
Mimics Ultar-Broadband Coupler" that you are interested in. I have
that here and can scan it, but you might check out Neil's referenced
site too.
Old April 20th 04, 11:58 AM
Richard Hosking

I have built a design out the ARRL handbook using a toroid transformer,
and SM 100 ohm resistors in parallel to make up the 50 ohm sections. I
could get 40 dB return loss to about 50 MHz, when matching a 50 ohm
load. This gives an idea of the accuracy of your bridge, ie the higher
the return loss in this situation, the better the bridge, assuming an
accurate 50 ohm load. I used a spectrum analyser as the detector and the
venerable HP8640B for the source.
You can even measure small inductances (I got reasonable accuracy to
about 100nH) using a series RLC combination on the end of a length of
coax as the unknown load. (ie do it remotely!) R=50, C=is known, L is
unknown
At some frequency there is a max return loss. At this freq XL=XC and
X(LC)~0, assuming perfect components. Thus the load is 50 ohms. You can
work out L knowing C

Richard

Old April 20th 04, 02:01 PM
Ian White, G3SEK

Richard Hosking wrote:
I have built a design out the ARRL handbook using a toroid transformer,
and SM 100 ohm resistors in parallel to make up the 50 ohm sections. I
could get 40 dB return loss to about 50 MHz, when matching a 50 ohm
load. This gives an idea of the accuracy of your bridge, ie the higher
the return loss in this situation, the better the bridge, assuming an
accurate 50 ohm load. I used a spectrum analyser as the detector

That also answers most of Reg's question about the difference between an
RLB and an SWR bridge.

As Reg has often pointed out, the so-called "SWR bridge" is actually a
reflection coefficient meter and it generally includes its own RF
voltmeter.

An RLB generally doesn't, but has an RF output port for the reflected
signal. That port is intended to be connected to a sensitive external RF
power detector - such as Richard's spectrum analyser - which can
accurately measure reflected signals down to -40dB... or even lower if
you consider such readings meaningful.

Another difference from the normal SWR bridge is that an RLB is always a
true bridge, with separate 'unknown' and 'reference' ports.

Normally your standard Zo load lives on the reference port, but if you
remove it, you can then use the RLB to compare *any* two impedances that
are intended to be the same (for example the two halves of a stacked
yagi array). You can see how alike the two impedances are, without
actually having to measure the value of either one... a very handy
feature.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old April 20th 04, 05:22 PM
Henry Kolesnik

I now have what may be better info, apparently Ihad it wron as far as RLB.
It was RF Design May and June 1982 titled "Low Cost Wideband Directional
Coupler" by Robert S. McDonald.

73
Hank WD5JFR