Old April 25th 04, 10:23 PM
Dr. Slick

am (Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.) wrote in message ...
Hi Slick

After I learned to drive, I even ran CW in my car, using a military
code key that clipped to my leg with a large clamp designed for that
purpose. I wish I still had the abilities I had back when I was a
bubble gummer! CW was just like talking to me, I heard the words not
the individual letters, never had to write anything down.

Well, that must have been interesting to have that sort of
ability.

Although you don't hear about it much, there are about 1 in every
10,000 who have the same types of problems I do, and about 1 in every
1,000 who suffer from the same illness, just affected in different
ways, like loss of large or small motor skills, temporary deafness,
temporary blindness, that lasts for months or in some cases
permanently, etc.

Well, i found this site:
http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti...ephalitis.html

So, did you get your case from a virus?

I have been one of the fortunate ones if you view it in a certain
light. I may forget everything, but something else has always seemed
to take it's place and be so sharp that it becomes natural to me. The
downside is, you have to change jobs every few years. So I decided to
work for myself, that way I wouldn't disappoint another employer down
the road who came to count on me. I've tried, but I just can come to
firing myself, hi hi.....

Well, from the Tao, we get, "Loss can be a Gain", and in your case
it might be that you gained by losing the boss!

hehe!

Slick
Old April 26th 04, 04:43 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Slick

Well, that must have been interesting to have that sort of
ability.

Actually, what makes CW hard is trying to learn it at different
speeds. CW is entirely different at different speed levels.
I guess I should say the SOUND of a word is what is different.

When your talking to someone in person, you don't say aich eye bee oh
bee, you simply say Hi Bob

Low speed CW is like saying aich eye bee oh bee.
High speed CW is like saying Hi Bob.

A good example of this is listening for someone calling CQ, after you
do it long enough, you no longer hear the letters CQ, you hear the
SOUND the code makes for those letters and easily recognize a call for
CQ, just by the sound of it.

A new typist can tell you where every key on the keyboard is!
A seasoned typist will have trouble doing this, because the word they
are typing goes from their eyes or ears or mind, right through the
fingertips to the printed text, it's automatic, they don't stop and
think about each letter they are pressing, their fingers just do it
automatically.

Pick up some code tapes that run at 20 words per minute and you no
longer hear the individual letters, you hear words.
Good high speed code tapes work by using only a single word for
several itterations, than add a new word for several itterations, then
combine a few words into a sentence.
Pretty soon you HEAR only the words and not the individual letters.

The only time you slow your sending speed is when sending your
callsign or an unknown unfamiliar word, like an obscure town name.

In essence, you hear the PHONICS of the sound of the code that make
words, thus large words are as simple to understand as short words.

So, did you get your case from a virus?

Yes, it was the result of high fever associated with the Hong Kong Flu
(a virus).

Well, from the Tao, we get, "Loss can be a Gain", and in your case
it might be that you gained by losing the boss!

I honestly have!
And really do consider myself fortunate in many ways.

From the outside looking in, it appears I have suffered some great
losses and had to start over many times during my life.

Even most recently, what appears as a serious tragedy to many, has
actually been the best blessing of my life.

I won't get into it unless you really want to hear about it.
Suffice it to say, I dropped out of the 40 hour rat race and 100k a
year, to a position of no debt and more disposable income and more
time to enjoy time with my family. And NO I don't get any handouts!
I work to earn my living! Just not nearly as many hours and for much
less money. But I disposed of my debts by selling everything I owned
and paying it all off. What I used to pay in interest charges, I now
use for entertainment and time off.

TTUL
Gary

Old April 29th 04, 01:58 PM
Reg Edwards

Clean gentle rain water hardly affects anything if its well made. And
anyway it doesn't rain all the time.

Old April 29th 04, 02:19 PM
Cecil Moore

Dr. Slick wrote:
God, it's nice to be your own boss, ain't it?

When Intel stock hit 100, I just couldn't resist selling
those golden handcuffs and riding off into the sunset on
my new Harley. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 29th 04, 05:04 PM
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

Hi Slick

Sure Is!!!!!

I've been self-employed now for about 25 years, trouble is the first
20 of those I only exchanged one predictible boss for about 100 very
unpredictable ones, my customers, hi hi.

Then I did away with customers until after the fact. This meant I
could basically do it my way, when I wanted to, and when finished then
find a customer for it.

I think now I have the best of both worlds. I don't have to deal with
customers at all. I have one mfgr. rep. who handles all of the
distribution for me. Even had him scheduled to place orders only once
per month for awhile, then as he grew I boosted that to ordering only
once every other month.

I now run two businesses in similar fashion on alternating months and
am working on a third that will be totally out of house, meaning all I
will have to do is make a single phone call each time the mfgr. rep.
orders or I could have him place the order direct and not bother me at
all with it, which is the way I may go with it too.

But it does get boring not having anything to do, so I'm doing hard
labor, hi hi. Cleaning out the overgrown woods on a hillside!
Darn chiggers!

TTUL
Gary

Old April 29th 04, 11:03 PM
Dr. Slick

Cecil Moore wrote in message ...
Dr. Slick wrote:
God, it's nice to be your own boss, ain't it?

When Intel stock hit 100, I just couldn't resist selling
those golden handcuffs and riding off into the sunset on
my new Harley. :-)

Ha! Golden handcuffs instead of Golden parachutes?

Great. I've never heard of a job describe like that,
but it's quite appropriate, like a 5-star luxury prison
cell...

Slick
Old April 29th 04, 11:47 PM
Cecil Moore

Dr. Slick wrote:
Ha! Golden handcuffs instead of Golden parachutes?

Great. I've never heard of a job describe like that,
but it's quite appropriate, like a 5-star luxury prison
cell...

Exactly, companies handed out so many stock options that
matured sometime in the future that nobody could afford to
quit the company. That was in the 90's of course when
tech stocks knew no bounds. Don't know how it is working
in the present day.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp