Old April 21st 04, 05:26 PM
R. Scott

Default Mid coil loaded CB to 2 meters.

I have a mid coil loaded CB that came with my Goldwing I bought. I know
Ive seen somewhere that you could convert a mid loaded CB to 2mtrs. I
dont plan on using CB on my bike but would like 2mts.

Did a Google search and came up emtpy.

Anyone know where I could get ideas.

Thanks
--
Rick N7HJ
Everett, Washington
Old April 21st 04, 09:39 PM
Cecil Moore

R. Scott wrote:
I have a mid coil loaded CB that came with my Goldwing I bought. I know
Ive seen somewhere that you could convert a mid loaded CB to 2mtrs.

If there's 19+ inches under the coil, chop the coil off
and throw it away. If there's not 19 inches under the
coil, short the coil out and trim the entire antenna
length to 19+ inches. Leave enough for cutting and trying.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old April 22nd 04, 12:18 AM
K9SQG

You may or may not be able to easily use the antenna. It depends not only the
radiator but also the base matching coil/capacitor. It would be easier and not
all that expensive to use an actual 2m antenna, unless you just want to
experiment. What you could do is get a 2m antenna tuner and hook it up to your
existing antenna and see what happens.

73s,

Evan
Old April 22nd 04, 03:33 PM
R. Scott

If there's 19+ inches under the coil, chop the coil off
and throw it away. If there's not 19 inches under the
coil, short the coil out and trim the entire antenna
length to 19+ inches. Leave enough for cutting and trying.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Thanks Cecil, I was thinking that, but I know I saw a conversion
somewhere
but cant put my finger on it .

--
Rick
Everett, Washington
Old April 22nd 04, 03:34 PM
R. Scott

K9SQG wrote:

You may or may not be able to easily use the antenna. It depends not only the
radiator but also the base matching coil/capacitor. It would be easier and not
all that expensive to use an actual 2m antenna, unless you just want to
experiment. What you could do is get a 2m antenna tuner and hook it up to your
existing antenna and see what happens.

73s,

Evan

Possible Evan, I dont think it has a cap, I could easily get a 2 mtr and
mount it elsewhere, but I was hoping to keep the side mount of the CB as
it
matches the AM/FM on the other side.

Dont have a 2 tuner, but will play with it.

Thanks
--
Rick
Everett, Washington

Old April 24th 04, 07:24 PM
Jimmy

I have heard of a couple of people converting CB antennas to 2 meter. Mostly
this was just using the avaialbe hardware to make a 2m antenna. Cutting off
the coil and adjusting the remaining portion of the antenna to the proper
length. One of my friends tried this and it worked as well as a 1/4 wl
mobile can be expected. He got a lot of "picket fencing noise" while driving
which was also present when using a commercially made1/4 wl antenna. Problem
was solved by going to a commercially built 1/2 wl antenna.. I ve seen some
base loaded antennas that could probably easily be converted to 5/8 wl 2m
antennas by cutting the radiator to the appropriate length and rewinding the
coil. Just find some basic antenna building projects and figure out how you
can make use of the CB antenna parts in your plans to save a little
fabrication time and money.