Old June 17th 11, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default odd coax connector

I found an adapter in my junk box that goes from a BNC to something similar
to a male N type. It will not mate up to a female N connector.

A normal N male connector has the center that is just about even with the
shell that screws onto the female end. This connector has the male part
sticking out about 1/4 of an inch past the shell. It will fit the female N
connector except when I go to screw them together, there is not enough
threads to mate and make a good mechanical connection.

Anyone know what type of connector this is ?

Old June 17th 11, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 17, 6:33*am, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
I found an adapter in my junk box that goes from a BNC to something similar
to a male N type. *It will not mate up to a female N connector.

A normal N male connector has the center that is just about even with the
shell that screws onto the female end. *This connector has the male part
sticking out about 1/4 of an inch past the shell. *It will fit the female N
connector except when I go to screw them together, there is not enough
threads to mate and make a good mechanical connection.

Anyone know what type of connector this is ?

Two suggestions come to mind. First, have you tried Pasternack's
connector identifier PDF (www.pasternack.com/pdf/catalog/
ConnectorIdentifier.pdf) or equivalent? Second, could it be a damaged
BNC-to-N? It seems strange to have the pin sticking out that far; it
would be inviting damage to the pin.

Cheers,
Tom
Old June 17th 11, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"K7ITM" wrote in message
[...]

I have not seen that url. I did not see one like it there.

It could be dammaged. It is not just the center pin that is sticking out
past the threaded shell, but the whole inside part of what would be a normal
N connector. It will pass power, just the threads will not screw together.

Old June 18th 11, 08:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jun 17, 5:06*pm, "Johnno" wrote:
That link didn't work, but is this the one you meant to publish?

http://www.pasternack.com/pdf/catalo...Identifier.pdf

73
John VK2KC

Yep. Thanks, John. I'm not sure HOW I managed to do THAT! I thought
I copied-and-pasted, but something got messed up. Hope your revised
URL helps others looking for connector info.

Ralph: I wonder if it's a specially modified N for some weird
application. I've seen UHF connectors modified with the center taken
out so that RG-213's center conductor and dielectric can be extended,
for use in connecting high voltages. Your adapter sounds way
different than that, though.

Cheers,
Tom

Old June 18th 11, 10:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 09:33:31 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

I found an adapter in my junk box that goes from a BNC to something similar
to a male N type. It will not mate up to a female N connector.

A normal N male connector has the center that is just about even with the
shell that screws onto the female end. This connector has the male part
sticking out about 1/4 of an inch past the shell. It will fit the female N
connector except when I go to screw them together, there is not enough
threads to mate and make a good mechanical connection.

Anyone know what type of connector this is ?

It's an ordinary BNC to Male N adapter, where the dielectric has been
somehow mangled, causing the center shield, pin, and dielectric to get
pushed out. You might be able to disassemble the adapter and repair
it. Try pushing on the center pin on the N side of the adapter and
see if it moves back into the adapter. Some of the cheap connectors
from China are little better than junk and tend to fall apart with
little provocation.

Hint: Photos are useful for identifying strange connectors.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D