Old June 28th 11, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Curtain Quad - Real gain or antenna snake oil?

I was researching multi-element driven array antennas when I stumbled
across the web page below. It talks about a curtain quad antenna. Is
this proven antenna design or antenna snake oil?

http://home.comcast.net/~ross_anderson/CurtainQuad.htm

-Michael Rawls
KS4HY

Old June 28th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 11:00:44 -0700 (PDT), Michael
wrote:

I was researching multi-element driven array antennas when I stumbled
across the web page below. It talks about a curtain quad antenna. Is
this proven antenna design or antenna snake oil?

http://home.comcast.net/~ross_anderson/CurtainQuad.htm

-Michael Rawls
KS4HY

Hi Michael,

Looks like the author went to a lot of trouble - with passion.

There is nothing unreasonable about the design or the results.
However, you should note these designs are highly removed from
ground's proximity which can skew many, finely tuned projects.

You should also note what is typically referred to as the decline on
return for your investment as the design gets bigger. Further, in
actual construction, you rarely obtain the mathematical precision that
is required to enjoy the forecasted results.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old June 28th 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

I was researching multi-element driven array antennas when I stumbled
across the web page below. It talks about a curtain quad antenna. Is
this proven antenna design or antenna snake oil?

http://home.comcast.net/~ross_anderson/CurtainQuad.htm

Very real. I built the 2.4Ghz version. It works, but is rather
large. Unless you have plenty of real estate and tall towers, this is
not an HF antenna.

His curtain quad calculations and NEC2 deck are at:
http://home.comcast.net/~ross_anderson/CurtainQuadFigure11.htm

There's also the Sterba Curtain
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/notfortv/sterba;jsessionid=ldhsj5x2v1.penguin_s
Gray-Hoverman
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/grayhoverman/hovermantype1
and other antennas
http://imageevent.com/holl_ands/chireix/chireixmesnyrefl
resembling a collection of quads. As long as you get the phasing
correct, almost any geometry will radiate and have gain.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 29th 11, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

wrote:

[...]

Hi Richard,

I note that these were designed at 1296. They would likely be a
practical antenna on that band and ground would not be an issue although
trees may be.

I wonder how hard it would be to make one as a printed circuit board?

Not too long do I wonder. The structure will be exactly as defined
within limits of the board specs.

The only issue is how large PCB stock I can buy.

tom
K0TAR

Old June 29th 11, 03:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:54:05 -0500, tom wrote:

Hi Richard,

I note that these were designed at 1296. They would likely be a
practical antenna on that band and ground would not be an issue although
trees may be.

I wonder how hard it would be to make one as a printed circuit board?

Not too long do I wonder. The structure will be exactly as defined
within limits of the board specs.

The only issue is how large PCB stock I can buy.

tom
K0TAR

Hi Tom,

If you could generate a graphic with controlled geometry at that
scale, and then etch it, yes, I think it would work quite well.

I will now (most modestly) add my own contributions posted some
decade++ ago (humble, humble) at:
http://www.qsl.net/kb7qhc/antenna/fr...244c/index.htm
for which we may thank the ex-N1IR (who graciously abandoned his
soiled moniker for another to inherit) for the fractal variant to
orthodoxy. Oh woe betides the unknowing innocent for whom this may
all seem irreverent and confusingly impenetrable. (Yes, I am in my
cups. Taking a bow. Grandiloquent sweeping gesture to the audience.)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old June 30th 11, 02:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

On 6/28/2011 9:59 PM, Richard Clark wrote:
cups. Taking a bow. Grandiloquent sweeping gesture to the audience.)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thanks for the new word. Never ran across grandiloquent before.

tom
K0TAR

Old July 16th 11, 06:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

I was researching multi-element driven array antennas when I stumbled
across the web page below. It talks about a curtain quad antenna. Is
this proven antenna design or antenna snake oil?

http://home.comcast.net/~ross_anderson/CurtainQuad.htm

Very real. I built the 2.4Ghz version. It works, but is rather
large. Unless you have plenty of real estate and tall towers, this is
not an HF antenna.

Hi Jeff,
Why didn't the loop sizes shrink, when the author went from 1296Mhz
to 2400Mhz. First thing I thought about was etching it on a PCB.
But then saw he built the higher freq antenna with the same loop
lengths.
Mikek

Old July 16th 11, 08:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

El 28-06-11 20:00, Michael escribió:

I was researching multi-element driven array antennas when I stumbled
across the web page below. It talks about a curtain quad antenna. Is
this proven antenna design or antenna snake oil?

http://home.comcast.net/~ross_anderson/CurtainQuad.htm

-Michael Rawls
KS4HY

Hello Michael,

It isn't snake oil, but with many elements, it is difficult to get it
working in practice. Such structures are narrow band and you don't
have a single tuning point to correct something.

If you plan to build an existing antenna, make sure to make a real
good copy of it. Just a good SWR doesn't automatically mean you have
the correct current distribution to get the stated gain.

With kind regards.

Wim
PA3DJS
www.tetech.nl
Please remove abc first in case of PM
Old July 16th 11, 11:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 12:43:16 -0500, amdx wrote:

Hi Jeff,
Why didn't the loop sizes shrink, when the author went from 1296Mhz
to 2400Mhz. First thing I thought about was etching it on a PCB.
But then saw he built the higher freq antenna with the same loop
lengths.
Mikek

I'm not quite sure what you mean. However, I have a guess(tm).

His curtain quad calculations and NEC2 deck are at:
http://home.comcast.net/~ross_anderson/CurtainQuadFigure11.htm

If you scroll down to the bottom of the NEC deck, you'll find the
line:
FR 0 1 0 0 1332 0 'simulation is at 1332 MHz
That's the operating frequency. Change it to 2442 MHz and you have a
2.4GHz antenna.

The element dimensions in the NEC deck are in wavelengths. This makes
it very easy to use a design on different frequency. In order to
obtain construction lengths, simply multiply each element length by
the free space wavelegth. For 2.4GHz, that's about 12.5cm.

Old July 17th 11, 02:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/16/2011 5:50 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 12:43:16 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Ah.. I'm still confused, For the 1296 antenna he used 2" x 3" fence
material and then the same 2" x 3" for the 2.4Ghz antenna except for
wire diameter.
Mikek

Mesh curtain antenna Art Unwin Antenna 17 March 12th 10 02:50 AM
How does it feel to use a commercial high gain curtain antenna and being a HF big gun for a weekend.. pa3abk Antenna 2 February 4th 08 08:34 PM
Looking for a Hy-Gain Big Gun Quad Antenna Jay in the Mojave CB 4 July 24th 05 01:14 PM
Snake Antenna question Es Shortwave 1 September 27th 04 03:49 PM
Snake-in-the-Attic SWL Antenna RHF Shortwave 0 December 4th 03 12:03 AM