Old July 13th 11, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Anybody following the Dallas Files

Hi Guys,
I'm looking over the files at;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thedallasfiles/
These antennas are mostly for the AMBC band.
The author doesn't allow discussion on the site,
I wonder if anyone else has viewed these files and
has interest in the antennas and wants a discussion group.
Mikek
Old July 14th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:42:16 -0500, amdx wrote:

Hi Guys,
I'm looking over the files at;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thedallasfiles/
These antennas are mostly for the AMBC band.
The author doesn't allow discussion on the site,
I wonder if anyone else has viewed these files and
has interest in the antennas and wants a discussion group.
Mikek

Hi Mike,

Not much to recommend it.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 14th 11, 03:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/13/2011 7:35 PM, Richard Clark wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 11:42:16 -0500, wrote:

Hi Guys,
I'm looking over the files at;
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thedallasfiles/
These antennas are mostly for the AMBC band.
The author doesn't allow discussion on the site,
I wonder if anyone else has viewed these files and
has interest in the antennas and wants a discussion group.
Mikek

Hi Mike,

Not much to recommend it.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Do you mean you don't have an interest in the subject
or do you mean you have a better antenna for the
AMBC band?
If you have a better antenna, let me know, I'm ready to start
building. Ideally I want to rotate a flashlight beam...
but I'll settle for rotating a wide aperture null.

Mikek
Old July 15th 11, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 21:09:02 -0500, amdx wrote:

Do you mean you don't have an interest in the subject
or do you mean you have a better antenna for the
AMBC band?
If you have a better antenna, let me know, I'm ready to start
building. Ideally I want to rotate a flashlight beam...
but I'll settle for rotating a wide aperture null.

Mikek

Hi Mike,

The subject is Dallas Files, right?

What does that mean?

I've no interest in playing games with the author who refuses to
engage in dialog simply to access files of unknown content. Apparently
given the dearth of participation, neither does anyone else. With the
absence of discussion at the author's site, there is no interest there
either.

Now, if you care to describe what you have come to learn, that is
another matter. I presume by implication alone that this is about
small, beam stearable, receive-only antennas. Unfortunately, there's
a lot left unsaid.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 15th 11, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/14/2011 6:59 PM, Richard Clark wrote:
On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 21:09:02 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Hi Richard,
Ya, the author has no interest in engaging, he just posts what he has
learned. The site was recently moved to Yahoo and is only about 2 months
old. As for the absence of discussion on the site, it's not allowed, so
that is hardly an indicator.
Yes, I'm looking a steerable receive only arrays for the AM broadcast
band. Myself, I want one that will fit on a 150ft lot.
Sounds like you didn't look at the site so "what is left unsaid."

Thanks, Mikek

Old July 15th 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/14/2011 7:31 PM, amdx wrote:
[...]

I don't know what you found there, Mikek, but I have see nothing
concerning antennas.

Old July 15th 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/14/2011 7:34 PM, John S wrote:
On 7/14/2011 7:31 PM, amdx wrote:
[...]

I think you need to join, to see the 14 antenna files (pdfs)
Some of the other files are Small Signal amplifiers, Receivers
and Theory.
Mikek
Old July 15th 11, 07:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:31:17 -0500, amdx wrote:

Sounds like you didn't look at the site so "what is left unsaid."

Hi Mike,

As I said, nothing there but a vague suggestion of the topic heavily
cloaked in an admonition.

Yes, I'm looking a steerable receive only arrays for the AM broadcast
band. Myself, I want one that will fit on a 150ft lot.

Is that 150' on a side? 150' long?

There are any number of ways to construct variable delay lines. A
little bit of computer control will pull their outputs together to
form beam steering.

Planting the antennas is simple and allows for testing of any of those
many ways to construct variable delay lines. Those designs themselves
have various trade-offs for issues you need to prioritize and
pronounce. The antennas don't need to be in any particular, regular
pattern as that would be accommodated by computer alignment.

If you choose to go manual steering, with analog variable delay line
designs; then, yes, having a regular pattern of element layout would
reduce complexity.

How many antenna elements? At least three, I would suspect. From
there on it is a matter of how well you can resolve the various delay
angles for steering a broad beam angle. Increase the number of
elements and the beam angle gets progressively tighter. You don't say
how much directionality you want, but it will be intimately correlated
with this count.

The delay lines will have to be tolerant of mutual coupling - better
yet, they should not perturb the existing mutual coupling at all. Good
isolation amplifiers between each element and its delay line before
going to a summing amplifier would seem a solution. Tracking between
delay lines will affect beam width. More elements will require
tighter tracking.

Then there is something simpler, an Adcock Antenna and the Bellini
Tosi Antenna (about 100 years old, but does the job too). There is
the Krug (Wullenweber) antenna. They are all symmetrical designs that
simplified the manual, analog delay lines design.

In the end, they all comprise the same fundamentals. If you cannot
support a symmetrical design, that is your primary limiting factor. If
you can digitize the delay lines, then symmetry can be synthesized and
the antennas can be placed physically anywhere limited only by the
resolution of digital sampling rate.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 16th 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/15/2011 1:20 AM, Richard Clark wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:31:17 -0500, wrote:

Sounds like you didn't look at the site so "what is left unsaid."

Hi Mike,

As I said, nothing there but a vague suggestion of the topic heavily
cloaked in an admonition.

You cast dispersions, but haven't looked at any of the antenna
systems. Look at just one and see if you any thoughts.
Look at "Hi Z PPL Loop And Flag Arrays.pdf" it's the 5th file down
on the antennas page.

Yes, I'm looking a steerable receive only arrays for the AM broadcast
band. Myself, I want one that will fit on a 150ft lot.

Is that 150' on a side? 150' long?

There are any number of ways to construct variable delay lines. A
little bit of computer control will pull their outputs together to
form beam steering.

Are you aware that steering the null is very important for AM
band dxing?

Mikek
Old July 17th 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011 17:32:20 -0700, "Sal" wrote:

am I special? ;-)

Yes, as your name is now among the select in the scrolls of the
"Dallas Files."

The Dallas Files [email protected] Antenna 0 May 18th 11 01:05 AM
dallas, TX freqs Bob Scanner 3 November 24th 05 08:23 AM
FS: FOR DALLAS TEXAS ONLY Biz WDØHCO Boatanchors 0 April 12th 04 02:03 AM
Shortwave Dealer In Dallas, TX Jim Douglas Shortwave 5 November 21st 03 10:34 PM
.EZ files to .N4W files conversion Martin Antenna 1 August 11th 03 12:01 AM