Old May 8th 04, 09:38 AM
Brian Howie

In message , Larry Gagnon
writes
I need to solder a new section of 14 gauge copper antenna wire to a
very old section of wire that is highly tarnished and very old. Other
than pulling each strand apart and attempting to sand off the tarnish
is there an easier way to remove it so that I can solder it
effectively?

I used to use something known here in the UK as "Baker's Fluid" . It's a
mixture of zinc and ammonium chloride. The salt and vinegar trick
mentioned below works, but it depends how bad the tarnishing is.

Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie
Old May 8th 04, 01:05 PM
Ed Price

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 May 2004 01:39:32 -0700, "Ed Price" wrote:

Try throwing up on you [sic] battery terminals

Just when I think I've heard everything...

--
Bill, W6WRT
QSLs via LoTW

Hmmm, didn't mean to offend, nor to imply that this was the preferred
method. However, my entire comment was "Try throwing up on your battery
terminals; I think you'll find that your gut contents are more acidic than
Coke."

This was an invitation to empirical inquiry, engendered by the original
poster's tired old comment about how Coke must really do horrible things in
your tummy, since it is also able to act as a metal cleaner.

Hams have no special dispensation to be ignorant about chemistry.

Ed
WB6WSN

Old May 8th 04, 07:11 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 8 May 2004 05:05:56 -0700, "Ed Price" wrote:

This was an invitation to empirical inquiry, engendered by the original
poster's tired old comment about how Coke must really do horrible things in
your tummy, since it is also able to act as a metal cleaner.

Hams have no special dispensation to be ignorant about chemistry.

Hi Ed,

Then the following instruction would be suitable:
http://www.realscience.breckschool.o...5/Website.html
wherein it states:
"Parietal cells in the stomach lining secrete HCl. The pH level of
the stomach ranges from 1.5 to 3.5. The molarity of the HCl is then
approximately 0.01 M.
... "Coca Cola is acidic because the reaction between carbon
dioxide and the other ingredients of the soda produces carbonic acid.
Coca Cola Classic has a pH of 2.5..."
Old May 9th 04, 03:57 AM
Mike Coslo

Brian Howie wrote:

In message , Larry Gagnon
writes

I need to solder a new section of 14 gauge copper antenna wire to a
very old section of wire that is highly tarnished and very old. Other
than pulling each strand apart and attempting to sand off the tarnish
is there an easier way to remove it so that I can solder it
effectively?

I used to use something known here in the UK as "Baker's Fluid" . It's a
mixture of zinc and ammonium chloride. The salt and vinegar trick
mentioned below works, but it depends how bad the tarnishing is.

Make sure to clean that wire off really well after soldering it. All
these suggestions are basically putting acid flux on the wires.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old May 9th 04, 05:35 PM
YODAR

Richard Clark wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2004 05:05:56 -0700, "Ed Price" wrote:

This was an invitation to empirical inquiry, engendered by the original
poster's tired old comment about how Coke must really do horrible things in
your tummy, since it is also able to act as a metal cleaner.

Hams have no special dispensation to be ignorant about chemistry.

Hi Ed,

Then the following instruction would be suitable:
http://www.realscience.breckschool.o...5/Website.html
wherein it states:
"Parietal cells in the stomach lining secrete HCl. The pH level of
the stomach ranges from 1.5 to 3.5. The molarity of the HCl is then
approximately 0.01 M.
... "Coca Cola is acidic because the reaction between carbon
dioxide and the other ingredients of the soda produces carbonic acid.
Coca Cola Classic has a pH of 2.5..."

coca cola also has phosphoric acid in it

yodar

Old May 9th 04, 05:38 PM
Cecil Moore

YODAR wrote:
coca cola also has phosphoric acid in it

Used to etch glass?

Old May 9th 04, 05:45 PM

YODAR wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:
[...]

So do beer, jams and jellies, and cheeses.

Pphosphoric acid is a week acid, and the pH of Coca Cola is still 2.5.

What's your point?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old May 9th 04, 05:49 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:
YODAR wrote:
coca cola also has phosphoric acid in it

Used to etch glass?

You're probably thinking of hydrofluoric acid.

Phosphoric acid is a rather common food flavoring agent.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
Old May 9th 04, 06:59 PM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 09 May 2004 16:35:39 GMT, YODAR wrote:
... "Coca Cola is acidic because the reaction between carbon
dioxide and the other ingredients of the soda produces carbonic acid.
Coca Cola Classic has a pH of 2.5..."

coca cola also has phosphoric acid in it

Hi OM,

I was going to point that out, but hit the send button while fumbling
among the keys.

Phosphoric acid is a very good metal brightener. I used it when
cleaning shipboard equipment for Gov. contracts. I recall one fellow
in our group who picked up a coffee cup to use it as a solvent holder,
poured some in, and immediately dissolved the bottom right out. It
was as though he poured it straight through a sleeve.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Adding lengths to bare wire antenna? Ken Antenna 8 May 3rd 04 03:03 PM
Guy wire vs. guy rope zeno Antenna 18 April 19th 04 07:30 AM
ton of wire to apply at 90 Mhz Dan Jacobson Antenna 4 April 10th 04 12:54 PM
FS 19 Strand 1/4" OD All Copper Antenna Wire Bill Hansen Antenna 1 March 10th 04 10:00 PM
randon wire newbie question lethal Antenna 4 February 7th 04 11:01 AM