Old July 25th 11, 04:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna Magic

On Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:52:08 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

Other than the obvious (he was mistaken in what he reported to me) any
ideas as to what went wrong? I don't think he will ask for any more
advice from me.

Gary N4AST

Propagation changed I bet. I strongly suspect the antenna
had nothing to do with it, and the extra wire and coils
bypassed was most likely the best system regardless of
the results seen when trying it.
It was most likely a fluke of nature, and I imagine
your antenna really was the best of the two.
If the band is kaput, nothing will work. 80m can get
really funky early in the evening. Have him try the longer
antenna a bit more at different times of day before discarding
it.. It should be fine. I have trouble seeing it being worse
than the shorter version with the less favorable match.

Old July 26th 11, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Propagation changed I bet. I strongly suspect the antenna
had nothing to do with it, and the extra wire and coils
bypassed was most likely the best system regardless of
the results seen when trying it.

I tend to agree Mark, I don't have a lot of experience on 80M, but
have been a Ham for 50 years. Propagation, the thing I know least
about, is the logical answer. I will encourage him to keep trying the
modified antenna at various times of day to get some better data.
Hopefully, it will prove the better antenna, and the newbie will learn
something in the process.

Gary N4AST

Antenna Magic Gary[_5_] Antenna 15 July 28th 11 08:46 PM
69xx what is the magic? HankG[_3_] Shortwave 3 December 13th 10 06:33 PM
(OT) 'Magic' [email protected] Shortwave 1 September 14th 09 03:03 PM
The MAGIC of the Hundred Foot (100') Long {Random} Wire Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL). RHF Shortwave 1 November 3rd 05 01:21 AM
What is the MFJ magic circle ? Bjay Antenna 5 July 19th 05 07:02 PM