Old August 7th 11, 10:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Another 2M antenna question

I was offered (for free) a VHF TV yagi anntena w/ rotor. Question: would
this work a 2M antenna? With a tuner, maybe?

--
"The French have neither summer nor winter nor morals." -- Mark Twain

Old August 8th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Only if you modify the yagi to resonate on 2 metres.
Here is a link that will help you:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Techn...df/9611034.pdf

The article on the TV to 2m conversion is on the ARRL Technical Info site:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/Yagi-V.html

It is a copy of the original article from QST magazine, and is only
available to ARRL members from that source.

73
Johnno

Old August 8th 11, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Padraigh ProAmerica" wrote in message
I was offered (for free) a VHF TV yagi anntena w/ rotor. Question: would
this work a 2M antenna? With a tuner, maybe?

--
"The French have neither summer nor winter nor morals." -- Mark Twain

Yes, it will work. I just tried it with my HT. From southeast of San
Diego, I raised a repeater on Mt. Santiago, Orange County, with a 75-ohm
directional VHF TV antenna and a half-watt signal. Santiago is 70 miles
away. Disclaimer: My location, on a small hill with a generally clear view
toward the North, gives me an advantage.

Then, I put the analyzer on that antenna and I was surprised to find the 2m
VSWR was 3.1:1, worst case. Losses through about 50' of cable from here to
the antenna no doubt helped my VSWR number.

There is some risk of using it with a high-power rig if the rig isn't
internally protected against operating into an excessive VSWR. Most are.

Start at a modest power and see what happens. That's what a lot of hamming
involves ... try it and see. Smoke is possible but not common.

"Sal"

Old August 8th 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 17:29:15 -0400, (Padraigh
ProAmerica) wrote:

I was offered (for free) a VHF TV yagi anntena w/ rotor. Question: would
this work a 2M antenna? With a tuner, maybe?

Take it before they change their mind!
The rotor is a definate yes and 2 meter antennas are about as easy as
it can ever be with building antennas!

Old August 13th 11, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Even better, cut down an FM yagi, works great.

Old August 16th 11, 07:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Designed to receive 54 Mhz to 210 Mhz ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_A...on_frequencies
.... Not going to work very well unmodified.

Keep the rotor and get an actual 2 meter yagi. I don't mean to discourage
you from building antennas. But you would probably be gutting that thing for
pieces of aluminum to cut to proper lengths to make a 2 meter antenna.

---

73 de KA4UDX,

Alan Spicer

"Padraigh ProAmerica" wrote in message

I was offered (for free) a VHF TV yagi anntena w/ rotor. Question: would
this work a 2M antenna? With a tuner, maybe?

--
"The French have neither summer nor winter nor morals." -- Mark Twain

Antenna Simulation Parameters and Folded Dipole Antenna Question... RHF Antenna 3 January 23rd 07 03:43 PM
Question is 'it' a Longwire {Random Wire} Antenna -or- Inverted "L" Antenna ? RHF Shortwave 5 November 6th 05 04:52 AM
Antenna question Frank Gilliland CB 11 January 28th 05 08:33 AM
TV antenna question.......... Hank Antenna 29 December 13th 04 03:20 PM
Antenna question. Mike M. Shortwave 2 September 20th 03 01:47 AM