Old September 7th 11, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

ohms-guesser). It therefore seems possible that the owner had
transmitted into the instrument (even though he denies it).

Why would anyone connect that antenna analyzer to a transmitter (unless
using the BNC?)
Old September 7th 11, 10:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 9/7/2011 2:43 PM, dave wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

ohms-guesser). It therefore seems possible that the owner had
transmitted into the instrument (even though he denies it).

Why would anyone connect that antenna analyzer to a transmitter (unless
using the BNC?)

People do odd things. Some times it is noobs, sometimes someone connects
the wrong cable and for some weird reason keys the transmitter,
sometimes it is someone just not thinking.

I've seen too much stuff to not believe really crazy things don't happen.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old September 11th 11, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

snip

People do odd things. Some times it is noobs, sometimes someone connects
the wrong cable and for some weird reason keys the transmitter, sometimes
it is someone just not thinking.

I represent the not-thinking group. I'm 68 and have been doing electronics
seriously since I joined the Navy at 18. OK?

In the mid-1990's, I managed to grab a cable I thought went to an antenna.
I connected it to my H-T and made a call. Well, that cable wasn't to an
antenna. It went to the input of my TM-221A. ($85.00, if you're curious)

If "Being Careless" were a franchise, I'd owe the fee every year. *sigh*

"Sal"

Old September 8th 11, 04:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 07 Sep 2011 18:43:40 GMT, dave wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
ohms-guesser). It therefore seems possible that the owner had
transmitted into the instrument (even though he denies it).

Why would anyone connect that antenna analyzer to a transmitter (unless
using the BNC?)

Good question. I asked the same question when we discovered that the
radio clubs Kenwood something HF transceiver had most of the
components in the receiver front end vaporized or incinerated after a
contest weekend. My best guess(tm) is that someone plugged one of the
tangled mess of coax cables lurking behind the bench, into a live
transmitter, thinking it was an antenna cable. Few of cables are
labeled. Of course, nobody will admit to doing it.

My guess(tm) is that something like that happened with the MFJ.

Incidentally, in the box with the MFJ-269 was an N-male to UHF-female
adapter, which brings back the possibility of an ESD discharge when
the center pin was connected first.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Old September 8th 11, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 9/7/2011 11:43 AM, dave wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

ohms-guesser). It therefore seems possible that the owner had
transmitted into the instrument (even though he denies it).

Why would anyone connect that antenna analyzer to a transmitter (unless
using the BNC?)

Oh.. that's an easy mistake to make. Bunch of coax with connectors
lying on the floor, hook up the wrong one. Hook a switch up
incorrectly. Coax switch without enough isolation (100W transmitter with
a 20dB isolation switch is a watt into the analyzer..)

Anyone who has never accidentally cooked a piece of test equipment just
hasn't been working long enough.

Old September 8th 11, 07:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Jim Lux wrote:

Anyone who has never accidentally cooked a piece of test equipment just
hasn't been working long enough.

"Experience is directly proportional to equipment destroyed."

I think I blew up my first piece of test gear at the age of 14 or
so... tried to measure line voltage, with the VOM control still set on
"ohms". POP!

Fortunately it was just one resistor... I eventually replaced it, and
I still have that old 1000 ohm/volt VOM (a 1965-vintage Lafayette)
sitting in a drawer somewhere.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old September 8th 11, 07:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Platt wrote:

I think I blew up my first piece of test gear at the age of 14 or
so... tried to measure line voltage, with the VOM control still set on
"ohms". POP!

Fortunately it was just one resistor... I eventually replaced it, and
I still have that old 1000 ohm/volt VOM (a 1965-vintage Lafayette)
sitting in a drawer somewhere.

Were you involved with THE pinball machine?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.
Old September 8th 11, 07:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 9/8/2011 1:17 PM, Dave Platt wrote:
In ,
Jim wrote:

Anyone who has never accidentally cooked a piece of test equipment just
hasn't been working long enough.

"Experience is directly proportional to equipment destroyed."

I think I blew up my first piece of test gear at the age of 14 or
so... tried to measure line voltage, with the VOM control still set on
"ohms". POP!

Fortunately it was just one resistor... I eventually replaced it, and
I still have that old 1000 ohm/volt VOM (a 1965-vintage Lafayette)
sitting in a drawer somewhere.

So, you only did it *once* in all this time? Every few years I do the
same thing, except the fuse catches my error.

John KD5YI

Old September 8th 11, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article , John S wrote:

I think I blew up my first piece of test gear at the age of 14 or
so... tried to measure line voltage, with the VOM control still set on
"ohms". POP!

Fortunately it was just one resistor... I eventually replaced it, and
I still have that old 1000 ohm/volt VOM (a 1965-vintage Lafayette)
sitting in a drawer somewhere.

So, you only did it *once* in all this time? Every few years I do the
same thing, except the fuse catches my error.

Oh, no, by no means - that was just my *first* time.

As in your case, the fuses tend to save most of my VOM/DVM foulups
these days. Reminds me, I've gotta go grab some 250 mA mini-fuses to
fix one of my meters and restock my oops box.

To paraphrase Foghorn Leghorn, "Fortunately, I always keep a spare set of
feathers in my locker, for just such an occasion."

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter Geoffrey S. Mendelson Antenna 0 September 1st 11 07:09 AM
MFJ-868 SWR/Wattmeter Geoffrey S. Mendelson Antenna 0 September 1st 11 07:09 AM
Wattmeter help JIMMIE Antenna 2 December 24th 07 09:29 AM
WTB: LDG DWM-4 wattmeter Michael White Swap 0 August 23rd 03 02:38 PM
FS: HF/VHF/UHF wattmeter, URM-120 Mike Swap 0 July 9th 03 05:03 AM