Old May 18th 04, 09:26 AM
Claude Frantz

Default Trees as antenna

Some years ago experiments have be done using trees as antennas. Where
can I find references about ? Do fellows here known about the results ?

Claude

Old May 18th 04, 02:37 PM
joyce

hi claude,

since trees have a lot of water in them, they do not make good antennas.

joyce.

Old May 18th 04, 02:58 PM
Dave VanHorn

"Claude Frantz" wrote in message
Some years ago experiments have be done using trees as antennas. Where
can I find references about ? Do fellows here known about the results ?

Claude

they are fractal, I think someone might sue you for infringement.

Old May 18th 04, 05:11 PM
zeno

How about a couple of Pole Beans fed from the middle, as they grow you can
tune longer bands.

Bill K6TAJ

Old May 18th 04, 05:23 PM
Richard Clark

On Tue, 18 May 2004 08:58:22 -0500, "Dave VanHorn"
wrote:

they are fractal,

Which then leads to one of many entries to this explicit topic found
in:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...com%26rnum%3D9

Yes; I knew when I made rocks and trees into antennas I was going to get
some flack.

which served ego rather more than technical discussion.

This thread still remains as one of the most comic pieces published in
this group and worth reading the 59 entries. Where the comedy lapses
into technical content (rare), it provides specific information about
plants and RF interaction. I am glad to have run into specific
conductivities comparisons showing how the vaunted "conductivity" of
sea water is 200000 times worse than nichrome (or 10000000 times worse
than copper).

This one was not the only thread confined to this topic, but I would
wager all the rest amount to tedious repetition of the usual
population count of angels on a pin-head.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old May 18th 04, 05:24 PM
Caveat Lector

By hearsay and legend -- In W W 1, an Army Field manual recommended feeding
a tree for an antenna when the real antennas were shot down.

Since I am not aware of any 50 ohm trees (hi-hi), probably use ladder line
and a tuner.

And remember, as an old timer discovered when he loaded his bed springs ---
RF GOTTA GO SOMEWHERE

Let us know which trees worked best (:-)

--
Caveat Lector Ya All

"Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is." -- Walter Cronkite

Old May 18th 04, 08:53 PM
'Doc

....Hmm. Now, if you could figure a way to use 'kudzoo'(sp)...
'Doc
Old May 18th 04, 09:06 PM
Dave Platt

...Hmm. Now, if you could figure a way to use 'kudzoo'(sp)...
'Doc

Yeah, kudzu could have some advantages. Lots of it available, and
you'd probably end up with a dense-fractal design.

It'd have the disadvantage of de-tuning itself every day or so, due to
the rapid growth, unless you transmit with enough power to burn off
the growing tips. Lends a new meaning to "pruning your antenna".

The three rules of growing kudzu:

- Although it's capable of growing on solid concrete, it'll do
somewhat better if there's at least a little soil in the mix.

- Always plant kudzu at night, by the dark of the moon. Otherwise,
your neighbors might figure out what you're doing, and start
throwing rocks at you.

- Fertilization is not required. However, the kutzu vines will
definitely appreciate having the bottoms of the smaller leaves
lubricated with 10W40 motor oil - this reduces abrasion and chafing
when the vines grow rapidly across the ground.

[Taken from an old Whole Earth Catalog]

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old May 18th 04, 11:29 PM
Irv Finkleman

Claude Frantz wrote:

Some years ago experiments have be done using trees as antennas. Where
can I find references about ? Do fellows here known about the results ?

Claude

If you feed it with fertilizers containing lots of metallic elements, you should
end up with a tall metallic pole with built in radials (the roots). You should be able
to gamma match it by placing a metallic spike at the appropriate height.
You can trim the branches, however leaving them in place should provide a great deal
more bandwidth. When you move, just cut down the tree, but save a few cuttings
so that you can grow an antenna farm at the new location. With careful
spacing, you might be able to produce some great arrays. I don't know about
feeding them with open wire line, but surely Cecil with find a way. You might
even be able to sell some of the antenna cuttings on e-bay!

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old May 19th 04, 01:48 AM
JGBOYLES

Some years ago experiments have be done using trees as antennas. Where
can I find references about ? Do fellows here known about the results ?

Seems like I remember an article in the 70's in 73 magazine (what else?)
about this very subject. I don't have time to look back thru my old mags., but
I bet the results indicated trees don't work well as antennas. If they did, a
lot more hams would be using them. I don't think I have ever had a contact
with someone using a tree.
73 Gary N4AST