Old January 7th 12, 12:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default nylon rope adjustment brackets??

With regular guy wires, we have metal turnbuckles to adjust tension in the
wire, but what about for nylon? I recently built an antenna that uses nylon
rope for antenna support at various spots. I need to adjust the tension in
the nylon rope and I'd rather not use metal turnbuckles as there are a lot
of spots that need adjustment and I don't want interaction with the antenna.
What's the alternative? Thanks

Old January 7th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jason Washington wrote:
With regular guy wires, we have metal turnbuckles to adjust tension in the
wire, but what about for nylon? I recently built an antenna that uses nylon
rope for antenna support at various spots. I need to adjust the tension in
the nylon rope and I'd rather not use metal turnbuckles as there are a lot
of spots that need adjustment and I don't want interaction with the antenna.
What's the alternative? Thanks

A cleat, assuming you have someplace to mount it.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old January 8th 12, 09:16 PM
Senior Member

We don't have all the information here, but the Cleat idea is a good one.

With my G5RV antenna, I have it mounted to the side of the house on a jib boom - 10' away from the side of the house, with a continuous piece of nylon rope and a pulley and a cleat. Pull the center of the antenna up to the top of the boom, tie off. Job done!

Ends are tied to the porcelain insulator with about 6 feet of rope, going to a eye hook on top of 2 - twelve foot tall pieces of 1 inch galvanized pipe, which is pulled taunt on a cleat, but the top of the pole is tied to two ground stakes at 45* angles from the wire coming from the antenna.

Antenna wire pulls the pole towards the wire, ropes to ground stakes pulls top of pipe back and puts pressure on the wire coming from the center of the antenna on the jib boom.

Stake in ground holds mast up, and ground stakes holds it in place - along with the antenna wire itself.

You can use rope, parachute cord, high test fishing line - 50 lbs test, what ever you want.
Old January 9th 12, 01:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 07:38:39 -0500, Jason Washington wrote:

With regular guy wires, we have metal turnbuckles to adjust tension in
the wire, but what about for nylon? I recently built an antenna that
uses nylon rope for antenna support at various spots. I need to adjust
the tension in the nylon rope and I'd rather not use metal turnbuckles
as there are a lot of spots that need adjustment and I don't want
interaction with the antenna. What's the alternative? Thanks

Is it Nylon or Dacron? Anyway, I just tie knots in mine.
Old January 9th 12, 01:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"dave" wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 07:38:39 -0500, Jason Washington wrote:

With regular guy wires, we have metal turnbuckles to adjust tension in
the wire, but what about for nylon? I recently built an antenna that
uses nylon rope for antenna support at various spots. I need to adjust
the tension in the nylon rope and I'd rather not use metal turnbuckles
as there are a lot of spots that need adjustment and I don't want
interaction with the antenna. What's the alternative? Thanks

Is it Nylon or Dacron? Anyway, I just tie knots in mine.

Why not just use the same system used on tents that use rain fly covers?
Not sure how to describe it but you can find them on almost any light weight
tent.
Just use a bigger version.
Most use light aluminum but heavy Plexiglas or Lexan would work just fine.

Old January 9th 12, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jan 9, 5:55*am, "Topaz305rk" wrote:
"dave" wrote in message

m...

On Sat, 07 Jan 2012 07:38:39 -0500, Jason Washington wrote:

With regular guy wires, we have metal turnbuckles to adjust tension in
the wire, but what about for nylon? *I recently built an antenna that
uses nylon rope for antenna support at various spots. *I need to adjust
the tension in the nylon rope and I'd rather not use metal turnbuckles
as there are a lot of spots that need adjustment and I don't want
interaction with the antenna. What's the alternative? *Thanks

Is it Nylon or Dacron? Anyway, I just tie knots in mine.

Why not just use the same system used on tents that use rain fly covers?
Not sure how to describe it but you can find them on almost any light weight
tent.
Just use a bigger version.
Most use light aluminum but heavy Plexiglas or Lexan would work just fine..

Here's a fancy version
http://www.niteize.com/collections/figure-9

I've seen ones that are basically steel wire bent into an appropriate
shape, and, of course, the 3 hole toggle kind: like these
http://www.campmor.com/line-tighteners-2.shtml 8 for $2

The steel wire ones are basically a ring on one end, and a sort of
dual slot thing, hard to describe in words. Functionally identical to
the campmor ones.

And, there's another scheme with two overlapped rings, like you use
for tightening a strap or buckle.

Old January 12th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Jan 9, 6:26*pm, Jim Lux wrote:
On Jan 9, 5:55*am, "Topaz305rk" wrote:

"dave" wrote in message

om...

[...]

for tightening a strap or buckle.- Hide quoted text -

When I was in the Air Force we had some that didnt look too far away
from a dog bone insulator if you use your imagination a bit. I made
some for tarp tie downs by welding some nuts on the the end of some
steel rods. The threads in the nuts gave it a really good grip.

Jimmie

Old January 12th 12, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

No Dave

Not a good idea to simply tie knots in your guy lines.

Because after a while the wind and rain and wind and rain will slowly cause
them to come untied. Very bad idea, very bad advice.

You would be wise to at least tape the heck out of those knots, so to
prevent them from coming undone, and your tower or antenna falling over. I
mean that is the purpose of the guy lines.

But a simple granny knot wont work Dave. Once again Dave, some bad advice.
Have you ever owned a boat? lol,,, I bet you tied it up one day, came out
the next and it was gone. lol,,, oh my,, that is too funny.

I recomment starting an immediate course with the Cubs, then work into Boy
Scouts, they will teach you Dave how to properly secure something using
nylon rope or any kind of rope. Never tie a granny knot Dave, you should
never, ever tie a granny knot for your guy wire for your tower. Lol,,, your
neighbors are probably sleeping on pins those windy nights. Oh my.

Turnbuckles are cheap and easy way to keep tension equal and tight on
towers. Make sure your connections are tight and never use granny knots, use
clamps or at least a double Winchester,,, lol,,, oh,,, oh my,,, Dave,,, you
got me today Dave... Oh stop it... lol,,,, oh my.... Tie your tower with a
granny knot... Oh my... lol,,,, Dave you are the limit.

73s

m...

Old January 12th 12, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowline

The next link will be to a psych medication

My "tower" is a fiberglass mast. It has 3 guys at about 1/5 the way up,
to keep bending force off the base. The rest is 6 tubes stacked up and a