Old February 10th 12, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

Default Increasing Cable TV signal strength

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:32:34 -0600, tom wrote:

On 2/9/2012 10:27 PM, The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra wrote:

You wouldn't know what a constellation measurement was if one bit you in
the ass, much less understand it. Nuff said.

Holy crap! He's made it to the 1970s!

tom
K0TAR

Hardly,retard boy.

They didn't do 10Gb/s, and neither did you... ever.

http://www.defensetechbriefs.com/ima...0-541_fig2.png

http://www.defensetechbriefs.com/com.../article/12855
Old February 10th 12, 05:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:07:01 -0600, tom wrote:

Very nice. We were much more constrained on the install I mentioned up
the thread a ways. The fiber was fed at E1 speed, which probably didn't
work it very hard.

Bwuahahahahahahahahahaahha!

You are too stupid to even know how to say OC-192!
Old February 10th 12, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:07:01 -0600, tom wrote:

Very nice. We were much more constrained on the install I mentioned up
the thread a ways. The fiber was fed at E1 speed, which probably didn't
work it very hard.

Bwuahahahahahahahahahaahha!

You are too stupid to even know how to say OC-192!

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert...dOCont.en.html

I can Google too!

--
VWW, P.E. ,K6EVE
Old February 10th 12, 06:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 21:47:31 -0800, VWWall wrote:

The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:07:01 -0600, tom wrote:

Very nice. We were much more constrained on the install I mentioned up
the thread a ways. The fiber was fed at E1 speed, which probably didn't
work it very hard.

Bwuahahahahahahahahahaahha!

You are too stupid to even know how to say OC-192!

It wasn't from google, idiot. It is what I work with daily. More than
an order of magnitude more, in fact. Over 300Gb/s

Here's another link for you, dork:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_band

Oh, and did I say **** YOU, Wall boy?
Old February 10th 12, 06:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

Hellequin wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 21:47:31 -0800, VWWall wrote:

The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 23:07:01 -0600, tom wrote:

Very nice. We were much more constrained on the install I mentioned up
the thread a ways. The fiber was fed at E1 speed, which probably didn't
work it very hard.

Bwuahahahahahahahahahaahha!

You are too stupid to even know how to say OC-192!

It wasn't from google, idiot. It is what I work with daily. More than
an order of magnitude more, in fact. Over 300Gb/s

Tell us more about your work. You must not be doing much, since you're
always on Usenet. Do you work the graveyard janitorial shift?

Here's another link for you, dork:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_band

Oh, and did I say **** YOU, Wall boy?

Wikipedia is also handy for things you know nothing about!

What's Ku got to do with anything. I was designing and using Ku TWTAs
over twenty years ago. I was system engineering director for several
military satellites systems, including those for the UK and NATO. These
did not use Ku because of the problem with rain attenuation.

P.S. How about a reply using one of the many Linux systems you mention?

--
VWW

Old February 10th 12, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:18:53 -0800, VWWall wrote:

Wikipedia is also handy for things you know nothing about!

Yes. So people like you can give a cursory glance to a given term or
subject.

As for me, the things I mentioned are things I *do* know something
about.

Sorry, you fail. Just like the others. This group is full of dopes
like you, who know nothing about people, and even less about the world.
Old February 10th 12, 01:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:18:53 -0800, VWWall wrote:

Tell us more about your work.

How many personalities did the doc say you have?

You must not be doing much,

I do a lot.

since you're
always on Usenet.

How many mistakes can you make in one post? I post here during the
period in which I am at home. Can you really be that retarded?

Do you work the graveyard janitorial shift?

Graveyards do not have janitors, idiot. They have groundskeepers.

Any idiot with half a brain could figure out that I work during the
day, dumb****.
Old February 10th 12, 01:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:18:53 -0800, VWWall wrote:

Wikipedia is also handy for things you know nothing about!

For idiots like you who visit it, that is always the case.

What's Ku got to do with anything.

It has to do with a lot of things. Most folks refer to them as
"packets".

I was designing and using Ku TWTAs
over twenty years ago.

Good for you. Now, you are an old, jack brained ****tard who jumped on
the s.e.d jack brained ****tard bandwagon, and*I* am working with modern,
advanced ku systems.

I was system engineering director for several
military satellites systems,

And now you are a withering old **** who comes in here mouthing petty
horse**** about someone as if you know them, when you, in fact, have no
clue about anything about them. What you are doing is jumping on the
petty, immature asshole bandwagon. You are a special case type asswipe.

including those for the UK and NATO.

Oh boy! Mine are mobile! You're a joke!

These
did not use Ku because of the problem with rain attenuation.

Not as bad as other bands and worse than some others. Easy enough to
get around.

P.S. How about a reply using one of the many Linux systems you mention?

WTF does Linux have to do with any ****ing thing, and why would I go
out of my way to do a goddamned thing for a mouthy punk **** like you?

Then, there is the fact that I could be running this very "agent"
session from within a DOS vdm from within a Linux base session, and a
dopey **** like you wouldn't know the difference and couldn't tell the
difference.
Old February 10th 12, 02:01 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Feb 9, 6:35*pm, "Sal" wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

On Feb 8, 2:00 pm, amdx wrote:

Hi All,
I'm on a boat, about 170ft from the utility post.
Recently our cable company switched to the wonderful world of
Digital TV. I got the new digital converter and had no picture.
I took the box back and got a second box, still no picture. So now I
suspect a weak signal and confirm that it is the cable length. The cable
company came out and gave me a better cable than I had installed. At
this point I have a picture but it is intermittent. The signal at the
utility post has 3 outputs and had a four way splitter, I suggested the
cable guy put in two 2 way splitters and give me the stronger (first) tap.
That got my signal to work almost all the time. I'd like to get the
signal to work 100% of the time.
I don't has access to electricity at the utility post, so an amp is
out. Although I could try an amp at the cable box end. Is that reasonable?
I would run two cables if there was a way to make it increase signal
strength.
Getting anymore from the cable company is not an option.
Any ideas to get a better signal?
Mikek

PS.

When the signal fails it seems channel 41 is ok and above 42 it breaks up.
Curious to know if there is an unusual frequency jump between those two
digital channels.

Google your cable box model. You should able to find ifo on how to
pull up a menu that shows signal strengh. -60dbm is about where my
sigal starts droping out

Jimmie

Yes, but be mindful of the difference between dBm and dBmV. * *The cable
industry often deals in levels *on the dBmV scale.

There are places like this ...

http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/808

where you can see some conversion equations. *Jimmie's -60dBm equals -11.25
dBmV. Same power level -- different scale.

I have long known level requirements for the TV tuner's cousin, the cable
modem. *The common DOCSIS 2 cable modems are usually spec'ed for -15dBmV to
+15dBmV and the smart operators try to keep inside +/- 12. *Thus, you can
see that Jimmie's -11.25dBmV is near the low limit and that dropouts become
more likely in that neighborhood.

I little bit of google snooping revealed that DTV cable boxes would like
0dBmV and will usually be okay with -10dBmV to +10dBmV. *Almost the same.

i hope this helps.

"Sal"

"Sal"- Hide quoted text -

Sal, A relative number by any other name would smell as sweet. The
reccomendations for my box is about the same but it works well below
that at least according to what I measure withe the cable box. BTW it
just says 'db'. dBm was an assumption on my part..

Jimmie

Jimmie
Old February 10th 12, 02:17 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design

On Feb 9, 12:01*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 07:54:19 -0600, amdx
wrote:

My drivel:

At my home, knology recently upgraded there system for faster internet..
A cableman said he heard me radiating a block away. he came in and
changed 7 crimp type connectors in my attic a couple of cable runs.
Speedtest.com went from 6 Mbps to over 11 Mbps with just those changes..

Yep, that's the way it works. *Compression type F connectors work
well. *Crimp type are junk. *The catch is that there are probably 100
different types of connectors, each with their own compression tools,
intended to fit about 8 different types of 75 ohm coax (RG6a/u,
RG59/u, single shielded, double shielded, quad shielded, direct
burial, etc). *Mixing connector types and cables doesn't work. *I got
fed up and "obtained" a 1000ft roll of double shielded RG6a/u, a big
of matching F, BNC, and phono connectors, a compression tool, a
stripping tool, and replaced all the junk cables in the house.

If it's Comcast, you will probably still have the lower 72 channels
doing analog. Remove the set top box and plug in your TV directly.

Oh, if that is the fact, I may get me some browny points, If I can get
the signal up to snuff, then put the vcr back in the line, my wife could
record her soaps again.
That would get me 15 seconds of hero status!
Mikek

I'm sure it's true for Comcast in Santa Cruz, CA. *No clue on other
areas. *The grand plan is to move all the analog channels to digital
area by area:
http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/jun/22/comcast-removes-scores-ch...
http://www2.newsadvance.com/business/2011/nov/09/comcast-switching-an...
Unfortunately, your area may be one of those that have moved to all
digital. *Hard to tell from here.

Just an addition to the termination debate, the marina has about 150
taps, I'd be surprised if 30 of them are connected to a tv and the rest
are unterminated. The line generally goes to the utility pedestal into
a 2 way splitter and then about 1 ft of cable connects it to the 2 taps
for the boat owners.
* * * * * * *Mikek

Can you determine if the marina is using a distribution amplifier
driving a big splitter, or is using a single cable trunk snaked
through the marina, with taps (directional couplers) at various
points? *If taps, it's easy to install too many taps, or miscalculate
the tap type, resulting in level variations along the trunk.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/entertainment-center-tvs-stereos-vc...

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

Jeff, I installed TVRO systems for several years and used a lot of F
connectors. Suprisingly the ones I found that worked best were the
ultra cheap ones that only took a pair of pliers to fasten These were
the ones with the separate crimp rings. Used with some good quality
heat shrink tubing this eliminated most of the problems you mention. I
dont know why these connectors went away, my only guess is that
someone wasn't making enough money on them.

Jimmie

Jimmie