Old June 12th 04, 12:33 PM
jason

Default Making 2.4GHz antenna more directional

Making it more directional would require something to become like a beam.
The only other thing you could do is similar to the effect of a corner
reflector. A big piece of foil curved around, but god knows what the SWR or
radiation pattern would be.
Do you just need to block the signal from going in one direction, like
through a wall/window and into the house etc?
It wouldn't really stop people sniffing or watchign what you're up to as
that particular system is very insecure, even with WEP. Stick to good old
wires!

"Nige" wrote in message
I'm sure this has been asked before on this group, but I can't find it
on my news server. I've got a Wi-Fi 802.11g wireless access point that
I'd like to alter the coverage of.

Has anyone any experience of making 2.4GHz antenna more directional? I
need about 90 degrees, rather than 360. I've seen the "Pringles" DIY
projects, but they are all to produce a beam.

I was thinking of a tin cut in half lengthways, any thoughts?

73 G1NDM (no longer active)

--
Nige

Please replace YYYY with the current year

---

Old June 12th 04, 02:08 PM
Jerry Martes

Nige

If you dont get th info you yant , you are invited to E-mail me to get
alot of referances to sites where decent efforts to build sirectional
'wireless' antennas can be made.

Jerry

Old June 12th 04, 07:39 PM
KLØS

Try:

http://www.freeantennas.com/

Old June 13th 04, 02:40 AM
Jerry Martes

"Nige" wrote in message
In rec.radio.amateur.antenna, Jerry Martes wrote:

you are invited to E-mail me to get
alot of referances to sites where decent efforts to build sirectional
'wireless' antennas can be made.

Thank you. I'd be happy if you could post these here, I think that is
the normal Usenet protocol.

--
Nige

Please replace YYYY with the current year

Nige

Have you already looked at sites like this??

http://www.techtastic.ca/articles/homemade-antenna.html

There are so many ways to get directivity at 2.4 GHz that I wouldnt know
where to start, unless I knew more about your constraints. I might be able
to be of some help with this project since I am currently involved with
providing a friend with Broadband coverage on his boat via WiFi.. But, I
am no expert. I havent designed antennas since 1970 and have almost never
thought about antennas since them.
And, there are some really knowledgable antenna designers here on this
news group.

Jerry

Old June 16th 04, 05:06 PM
Jimmie

Does anyone know how much power these wireless units put out out? When I was
in the airforce we use to estabish a 3 mile data link with only 10mW.
Antennas were 1M parabolic. I still have a couple of these dish antennas
that were chunked when the old equipment was updated. A hilltop to hill top
link would be a fun project. Maybe something interesting to do for field
day.

Old June 17th 04, 12:43 AM
Tom Ring

Depending on the card, and whether you have twiddled any special
registers in it, up to around 100mW. I believe the current distance
record from the contest they have every so often is around 50 miles.
People regularly do 10 to 20 miles.

Antenna plans, as well as manufactured antennas, and bidirectional power
amps are readily available. And may or may not be legal, depending on
many things, like if you are a ham using the correct (lower, I think)
channels, etc, etc.

I have a couple 2.4GHz bidir amps plus patch antennas at work that we
just recieved to play with. Haven't fired them up yet. Yes, they are
legal in this case, and we are also a wireless (and wired) ISP.

If you want to play with a good Access Point, get a Linksys WRT54G, and
flash it with the modified version from Sveasoft. This greatly enhances
the capabilities, adding such things as ssh access, kernel based
stateful firewalling, full routing capabilities, traffic shaping, etc.

tom
K0TAR