Old June 12th 04, 05:40 PM
Richard

Default Antenna model files.

You can purchase or get for free antenna model files.

Should whoever creates these files be making them write protected? I've got
ones that I purchased and ones that I got for frree and non are write
protected, I would have thought that would be the thing to do. I am
presuming that write protection is a parameter than is part of the file, or
maybe not, perhaps it's a setting of your PC system. Anyone know? TIA.
Old June 12th 04, 09:33 PM
Ralph Mowery

Should whoever creates these files be making them write protected? I've

got
ones that I purchased and ones that I got for frree and non are write
protected, I would have thought that would be the thing to do. I am
presuming that write protection is a parameter than is part of the file,

or
maybe not, perhaps it's a setting of your PC system. Anyone know? TIA.

If you got them off a cd then it is probably just a setting of the computer.
Find the file on the hard drive or move it to the hard drive. using
something like Windows Explorer. Then see if it is set as read only. If so
uncheck that block.

Old June 13th 04, 12:13 AM
Richard

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...

Should whoever creates these files be making them write protected? I've

got
ones that I purchased and ones that I got for frree and non are write
protected, I would have thought that would be the thing to do. I am
presuming that write protection is a parameter than is part of the file,

or
maybe not, perhaps it's a setting of your PC system. Anyone know? TIA.

If you got them off a cd then it is probably just a setting of the

computer.
Find the file on the hard drive or move it to the hard drive. using
something like Windows Explorer. Then see if it is set as read only. If

so
uncheck that block.

Thing is, I cannot understand why these files are not read only. Whether
copied from CD or downloaded.

Old June 13th 04, 02:57 AM
Mike Coslo

Richard wrote:
[...]

What difference does it make, Richard? You can just go back to the
original file if needs be.

- Minke KB3EIA -

Old June 13th 04, 06:27 AM
Reg Edwards

"Richard" wrote
Thing is, I cannot understand why these files are not read only. Whether
copied from CD or downloaded.

================================

Richard, if you can't trust yourself NOT to mess about with modifyable
programs then you shouldn't be trying to use them.

If you are unable to resurect mutilated software, an impossible task,
vanished reliability, don't blame the author.

Old June 13th 04, 07:52 AM
Richard

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

"Richard" wrote
Thing is, I cannot understand why these files are not read only. Whether
copied from CD or downloaded.

================================

Richard, if you can't trust yourself NOT to mess about with modifyable
programs then you shouldn't be trying to use them.

If you are unable to resurect mutilated software, an impossible task,
vanished reliability, don't blame the author.

I can trust mnyself, but if the original files were write protected when the
came when downloaded, then it would be a safety measure from accidentally
altering the original files. I'm going to mess with the originals but save
the altered input files under a slightly different file name. I think I'm
making a perfectly valid point.

Old June 13th 04, 01:42 PM
Richard Fry

You could just change the file attribute of whatever you want to protect to
"Read Only," after you copy it off your CD or wherever. That will prevent
overwriting the original file with a corrupted version.

Find the file(s) using WIN Explorer, right click on the filename(s), then
___________________

Old June 13th 04, 03:59 PM
Mike Coslo

Richard wrote:

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

"Richard" wrote

Thing is, I cannot understand why these files are not read only. Whether
copied from CD or downloaded.

================================

Richard, if you can't trust yourself NOT to mess about with modifyable
programs then you shouldn't be trying to use them.

If you are unable to resurect mutilated software, an impossible task,
vanished reliability, don't blame the author.

I can trust mnyself, but if the original files were write protected when the
came when downloaded, then it would be a safety measure from accidentally
altering the original files. I'm going to mess with the originals but save
the altered input files under a slightly different file name. I think I'm
making a perfectly valid point.

If you want write protected files, Make a CD of all the files you want
write protected, then copy them back to your hard drive.

Even if you do accidentally change thefiles, you have an original
"write protected" file to go back to.

Perhaps you are not experienced with computers. (no sin, that) It
really isn't a big deal though, to not have write protected files when
the originals are so accessible. And even then, working with a renamed
file instead of the original is along the same line of reasoning as
backing up your files. You DO back up your files, don't you?

Finally, if the files came in write protected, there would be plenty of
people that would complain about that!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old June 13th 04, 04:00 PM
Brian Howie

In message , Richard
writes

Thing is, I cannot understand why these files are not read only. Whether
copied from CD or downloaded.

Because you might want to mess around with them. :-)

Brian
--
Brian Howie
Old June 13th 04, 04:42 PM
Richard

"Brian Howie" wrote in message
In message , Richard
writes

Thing is, I cannot understand why these files are not read only. Whether
copied from CD or downloaded.

Because you might want to mess around with them. :-)

You mess but you do not alter the original.

When editing nec input files you have got to be careful not to save because
then the original file is not original anymore.

I thought it might be better to download files that come write protected
from the start.