Old June 15th 04, 06:42 PM
Tesoro

Default Extending a 2.4Ghz phoones range?

I want to know if there is an antenna that I can attach (somehow) to my
Siemens 2.4 Ghz phone that will extend the range of the handsets? Basically,
I want to be able to visit neighbours with my cordless handset and still be
in range. Possible or not?

Old June 16th 04, 04:39 PM
Tesoro

Thanks for the reply. Would 5.8Ghz be better? Most of the phones I see that
fit my needs are now either 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz.

"Mong" wrote in message
gy.com...
2.4 GHz phones have poor RF range. You have better use 900 MHz Phone.

. ..

Old June 16th 04, 05:21 PM
Tam/WB2TT

"Tesoro" wrote in message
. ..
I want to know if there is an antenna that I can attach (somehow) to my
Siemens 2.4 Ghz phone that will extend the range of the handsets?

Basically,
I want to be able to visit neighbours with my cordless handset and still

be
in range. Possible or not?

How far do you want to go? I suspect that putting the high gain antenna on
the base is more practical than on the handset. Of course, your neighbors
might now get free phone service. Also, I don't know where you live, but all
of this is probably illegal, and the Telephone Gestapo will pull your
toenail out.

I have a Panasonic 900 MHz/2.4GHz phone, and the range is a little over 100
m. The 900 MHz direction works better.

Tam

Old June 16th 04, 06:16 PM
Richard Harrison

Tesoro wrote:
"Possible or not?"

Depends on line-of-sight path and signal strength.

The radios at both path ends must electrically be in sight of each
other. Their powers can be concentrated. The wavelength is 1/8 meter, or
about 5 inches.

A reflector, 1/4-wave behind the phone, about 1 or 2 inches, will
concentrate the energy in the direction of the phone. A flat sheet of
aluminum or aluminum foil will reflect the phone signal in the direction
of the phone.
,
A reflector bent into the shape of a corner will further oncentrate the
enrgy in its acute angle. A 90-degree corner reflector can give a 10 dBd
gain.

Corner reflector angle, driven element spacing, and reflector size and
construction are not critical. A side length for the corner reflector of
2 wavelengths, about 10 inches, is ideal according to the ARRL Antenna
Book. If skeletal construction is used, the bars in the reflector must
parallel the antenna polarization.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old June 16th 04, 08:51 PM
Tesoro

"Tam/WB2TT" wrote in message

"Tesoro" wrote in message
. ..
I want to know if there is an antenna that I can attach (somehow) to my
Siemens 2.4 Ghz phone that will extend the range of the handsets?

Basically,
I want to be able to visit neighbours with my cordless handset and still

be
in range. Possible or not?

How far do you want to go? I suspect that putting the high gain antenna on
the base is more practical than on the handset. Of course, your neighbors
might now get free phone service. Also, I don't know where you live, but

all
of this is probably illegal, and the Telephone Gestapo will pull your
toenail out.

I have a Panasonic 900 MHz/2.4GHz phone, and the range is a little over

100
m. The 900 MHz direction works better.

Tam

I just want to visit the neighbours within 50 or 100m of my home. Seems as
though I can't get good reception even 3 houses down (30m?). I was thinking
if it was possible to add an outdoor type antenna to boost the range. I
thought I should be able to go at least a few houses away but I was wrong.
Thanks for your reply...

Old June 17th 04, 01:15 AM
Gary S.

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:45:32 -0400, "Tesoro"
wrote:

I will try to move the base unit closer to a window and see if that helps.
The fridge thing sounds interesting, I may give that a try, nothing to lose.
Again, thanks for helping...

In that frequency range, it is almost purely line-of-sight. Anything
from VHF on up, the higher the transmitting antenna, the better the
range will be. If you have a second floor, put it up there and you
should get the range you want, although some building materials will
interfere.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA