Old April 12th 13, 01:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default radials

hi folk's, sorry to sound a bit thick but can anybody tell me where i connect the radials to an sv9 vertical, i have put around 54 around my lawn, i have a stub post about 3ft high. The actual antenna bracket is 18 ins from ground as per instructions,will it make any difference ? being that the stub post is only 3ft from ground or would it be better up about 10 ft high. thanks jeff m3lwg
Old April 12th 13, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 4/12/2013 5:56 AM, Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:
hi folk's, sorry to sound a bit thick but can anybody tell me where i connect the radials to an sv9 vertical, i have put around 54 around my lawn, i have a stub post about 3ft high. The actual antenna bracket is 18 ins from ground as per instructions,will it make any difference ? being that the stub post is only 3ft from ground or would it be better up about 10 ft high. thanks jeff m3lwg

Connect them as close as possible to where the coax braid ends. Probably
where you have a UHF coax connector connecting to the antenna. Not
familiar with a sv9 vertical.

Paul, KD7HB
Old April 12th 13, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, April 12, 2013 6:31:50 PM UTC+1, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 4/12/2013 5:56 AM, Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:

hi folk's, sorry to sound a bit thick but can anybody tell me where i connect the radials to an sv9 vertical, i have put around 54 around my lawn, i have a stub post about 3ft high. The actual antenna bracket is 18 ins from ground as per instructions,will it make any difference ? being that the stub post is only 3ft from ground or would it be better up about 10 ft high. thanks jeff m3lwg

Connect them as close as possible to where the coax braid ends. Probably

where you have a UHF coax connector connecting to the antenna. Not

familiar with a sv9 vertical.

Paul, KD7HB

Thank's for that paul, so actually i connect them to outside of the pl295 plug on the end of the feeder ?
Old April 13th 13, 04:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 4/12/2013 2:52 PM, Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:
On Friday, April 12, 2013 6:31:50 PM UTC+1, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 4/12/2013 5:56 AM, Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:

hi folk's, sorry to sound a bit thick but can anybody tell me where i connect the radials to an sv9 vertical, i have put around 54 around my lawn, i have a stub post about 3ft high. The actual antenna bracket is 18 ins from ground as per instructions,will it make any difference ? being that the stub post is only 3ft from ground or would it be better up about 10 ft high. thanks jeff m3lwg

Connect them as close as possible to where the coax braid ends. Probably

where you have a UHF coax connector connecting to the antenna. Not

familiar with a sv9 vertical.

Paul, KD7HB

Thank's for that paul, so actually i connect them to outside of the pl295 plug on the end of the feeder ?

Probably easier to connect it the SO-239 coax socket area if the cable
connects to one. I cannot find any information or picture of the sv9
vertical antenna. Is it commercial and come with instructions?

Paul, KD7HB

Old April 13th 13, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, April 12, 2013 1:56:50 PM UTC+1, Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:
hi folk's, sorry to sound a bit thick but can anybody tell me where i connect the radials to an sv9 vertical, i have put around 54 around my lawn, i have a stub post about 3ft high. The actual antenna bracket is 18 ins from ground as per instructions,will it make any difference ? being that the stub post is only 3ft from ground or would it be better up about 10 ft high. thanks jeff m3lwg

hi again paul, sorry i got it wrong, an old brain thing hi hi, the antenna is a
SANDPIPER V9 MK 3 what i have tried is attaching a wire from the radials to the outside of the pl259 with a hose clip. so i will have to wait to find out if its better with them, the thing that confuses me is according to the ins, you attach the radials to the bracket,but the bracket is insulated from the main vertical part of the antenna, all it is really is an aluminium pole with the inside core of the coax attached to it with an so239 fitting. with different freq whips attached . thank's for your time and patience jeff.

Old April 13th 13, 04:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 4/13/2013 7:13 AM, Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:
SANDPIPER V9 MK 3

The picture I found of the instruction sheet has you attaching the
radials to one of the u-bolts that mount the antenna to the ground support.

Paul, KD7HB
Old April 13th 13, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

My error -- I thought it was one of the LDG verticals! Yours is different.
I'll see if
I can find something on it for you.

Irv VE6BP

Old April 14th 13, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:13:48 AM UTC-5, Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:
[...]

You would connect the radials to the short mast that supports
the vertical. They can be connected at ground level.
The antenna itself should be insulated from ground. That is normal.
But you should see continuity between the coax shield and the short
mast and radials.
I found an image of the antenna. It's basically a UK design of
the Hustler vertical. IE: it uses "resonators" which are the loading
coils with short whips attached that connect to the radiator.
Old April 16th 13, 11:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Friday, April 12, 2013 1:56:50 PM UTC+1, Jeff Arrowsmith wrote:
hi folk's, sorry to sound a bit thick but can anybody tell me where i connect the radials to an sv9 vertical, i have put around 54 around my lawn, i have a stub post about 3ft high. The actual antenna bracket is 18 ins from ground as per instructions,will it make any difference ? being that the stub post is only 3ft from ground or would it be better up about 10 ft high. thanks jeff m3lwg

Hi paul sorry for the late reply, been messing about with antennas hi,thats what i have done thanks, i have connected a wire to the pl259 outer with a hose clip, just have to see if it works now hi , thanks for all your help take care best dx 73 jeff

Radials Rick Antenna 5 February 28th 07 06:13 AM
Radials hasan schiers Antenna 0 March 22nd 06 10:42 PM
Resonant radials David J Windisch Antenna 0 January 10th 05 10:12 AM
Radials for 6-BTV rhymer Antenna 5 May 31st 04 01:55 AM
ground radials? Antenna 2 September 10th 03 10:55 AM