Old January 18th 14, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Rhon tower bolts

On 1/17/2014 8:05 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message
On 1/17/2014 6:37 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:

The towers do not always have to be lighted above 200' nor painted.

WVIR's tower is neither!

https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wvir-tv

Only if it is sheltered by another structure of greater height.

Otherwise, you are wrong (as usual).

And how do you know how tall it is? Did you get out your trust ruler and
measure it?

You can look up the antenna registeration number. It is listed at whatever
height it is. Seem to remember 98 but not sure if feet or meters. It is
also listed to be painted and lighted to some offical antenna regulation.
Does not say if it is actually painted or lighted, just it meets the
standard.

It's 98 meters - but it is shadowed by another tower just east of it
which is higher. Unfortunately, I don't know who owns that tower.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old January 18th 14, 03:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 19:55:05 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

While on the subject of tower bolts, why does Rohn 25g tower use two
differant size bolts on the legs ?

I guess you mean this collection of bolts?
http://antennapartsoutlet.com/Pages/Products/ROHNPages/R25JBK.html

My guess(tm) is that the larger 5/8" bolts go on the bottom set of
holes, which aligns the tower vertically and carries most of the
vertical load (tower weight). These lower holes are probably drilled
more accurately than the upper holes. The smaller 1/2" bolts fit
loosely into the upper 5/8" holes in case someone didn't bother
drilling the tower and the base with the same distance between bolt
holes, or that the tower legs became bent, stretched, twisted, or
mangled. This is only a guess(tm).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 18th 14, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1/17/2014 3:00 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Paul wrote in message

I built a jack a couple of years ago, but have not had a chance to use it
yet.

I built, or really had one of the guys in the shop where I work help build
one for me just before I put up my tower. Built out of scrap material and
in some spare time. Probably cost them $ 200 worth of labor..hi hi.. I
almost hate retirement ( retired 2 years) as I lost access to small pieces
of material and the equipment and people to help make small things. We had
a machine shop that could make almost anything that was not too complicated.
Couple of lathes, shears, benders, milling machines, and don't remember what
this one machine was called (thinking Iron Man) that could punch holes and
various shapes in steel and do some bending of very thick pieces.

---

IronWorker!
Paul, KD7HB

Old January 18th 14, 04:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Paul Drahn" wrote in message
, and don't remember what
this one machine was called (thinking Iron Man) that could punch holes
and
various shapes in steel and do some bending of very thick pieces.

IronWorker!

Paul, KD7HB

Thats it. Thanks. Looks like the one in the Wikipedia.

I was an electrician/instrument technician. Got the mechanics to make
anything that was not very simple for me. I was shown a few things about
that Iron worker. The thing I remember the most was it took a while to wind
up and a while to wind down after it was cut off. I watched it a couple of
times, but never used it. The one we had looked to be very old, but built
very strong.
Walked around it for a year or so and finally asked one of the mechanics
what it was. I could do simple things on laths and milling machines, but
not that thing.

Could have used it a few weeks ago when I was making a dual band antenna
mount for my truck. Had to use aluminum and a vice to do some bending. If
I was working, it would have been stainless steel and bent on a brake.

---

Old January 18th 14, 12:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message
On 1/17/2014 6:37 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:
The towers do not always have to be lighted above 200' nor painted.
WVIR's tower is neither!
https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wvir-tv

And how do you know how tall it is? Did you get out your trust ruler and
measure it?

Cue the old one about how to measure the height of a building with a
barometer, ISTR about 23 ways at the last count!

eg, apart from the obvious one, to time its descent from the top when
dropped under the acceleration of gravity, and finally to go to the
maintenance engineer and offer him the present of a lovely barometer if he'd
let you
look at the architect's drawings!

Old January 18th 14, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1/18/2014 6:05 AM, gareth wrote:
"Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message
On 1/17/2014 6:37 PM, Channel Jumper wrote:
The towers do not always have to be lighted above 200' nor painted.
WVIR's tower is neither!
https://stations.fcc.gov/station-profile/wvir-tv

And how do you know how tall it is? Did you get out your trust ruler and
measure it?

Cue the old one about how to measure the height of a building with a
barometer, ISTR about 23 ways at the last count!

eg, apart from the obvious one, to time its descent from the top when
dropped under the acceleration of gravity, and finally to go to the
maintenance engineer and offer him the present of a lovely barometer if he'd
let you
look at the architect's drawings!

I guess you landed on your head when you timed how long it took you to
dive off the top of the tower.

--
==================

Old January 18th 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

[...]

You seem to misunderstand the illusion

Old January 18th 14, 04:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1/18/2014 10:20 AM, gareth wrote:
[...]

Nope, I understood it perfectly.

But you don't seem to understand the difference between 'illusion' and
'allusion'.

--
==================

Old January 18th 14, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message

But you don't seem to understand the difference between 'illusion' and
'allusion'.

Then hgh time that you grew out of the behaviour of a 5-year-old

Old January 18th 14, 05:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1/18/2014 11:13 AM, gareth wrote:
"Jerry Stuckle" wrote in message

But you don't seem to understand the difference between 'illusion' and
'allusion'.

Then hgh time that you grew out of the behaviour of a 5-year-old

ROFLMAO!

And you STILL don't understand the difference between 'allusion' and
'illusion'. But then I know you don't like your ignorance to be pointed
out.

--
Remove the "x" from my email address
Jerry, AI0K

Low density nuts and bolts used in tower? amdx[_3_] Antenna 3 January 13th 14 04:41 AM
rhon 25 base for sale. merlin-7 Antenna 0 May 20th 07 09:07 PM
Special Tower Bolts W8LNA Antenna 6 June 4th 06 01:38 AM
tower bolts - another question Ralph Mowery Antenna 3 May 28th 06 02:36 PM
FS Big U Bolts Amateur Radio Station W5CIA Swap 0 April 5th 04 01:49 AM