Old January 27th 14, 02:05 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Unfolding beam antennae?

Taking my lead from the way in which spacecraft unload their antennae
and their solar cells, I wonder if there have been any amateur efforts
into folding antennae to beat planning and zonal limitations?

Unlike the spacecraft, the amateur beams would need a folding-back-up
facility, which together with wind-up-and-tilt-over towers would render the
structure invisble when not in use.

Also inspired by the man-across-the-road who is a Punch-and-Judy man
who has devised a booth that folds up neater than a deck-chair.

Old January 27th 14, 06:00 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
Taking my lead from the way in which spacecraft unload their antennae
and their solar cells, I wonder if there have been any amateur efforts
into folding antennae to beat planning and zonal limitations?

Unlike the spacecraft, the amateur beams would need a folding-back-up
facility, which together with wind-up-and-tilt-over towers would render
the
structure invisble when not in use.

Also inspired by the man-across-the-road who is a Punch-and-Judy man
who has devised a booth that folds up neater than a deck-chair.

Did he teach you how to attack postmen?

Old January 27th 14, 06:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 13:05:08 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

Taking my lead from the way in which spacecraft unload their antennae
and their solar cells, I wonder if there have been any amateur efforts
into folding antennae to beat planning and zonal limitations?

Unlike the spacecraft, the amateur beams would need a folding-back-up
facility, which together with wind-up-and-tilt-over towers would render the
structure invisble when not in use.

Also inspired by the man-across-the-road who is a Punch-and-Judy man
who has devised a booth that folds up neater than a deck-chair.

Actually, I've been working (very slowly) in a similar solution to the
problem using inflatable antennas and towers. The original concept
was a 20 ft length of plastic shipping tubing, a base plate with valve
and gauge, and a wire over the length of the tubing. The unit is
folded into a box and stored in the trunk of the car. When it's time
to get on the air, a small motorized air pump fills the tube, and
you're ready to go. When done, release the pressure, and fold the
tube back into its box. Later paper designs involved 3 tubes, forming
a tripod arrangement, for more stability and height.

For an antenna, one can either run a wire up the tubing, build an
inflatable Yagi, or balance a Yagi on top. To reduce weight, a ladder
line taped to the outside of the tube should work.

The maximum weight load is simple. Figure out the area of the top of
the tube and multiply by the air pressure. Don't forget to include
the weight of the tubing. If buckling becomes a problem due to top
heaviness, nylon rope guys can be added.

This is not a new concept or anything original. Such inflatable
antennas were built by Bosch Aerospace in the past. The product was
later sold to LTA Projects:
https://www.youtube.com/user/ltaprojects?feature=watch
The problem with their design is that it is designed for heavy duty
paramilitary field use, while mine is intended for occasional light
duty use. It need not be a monster. They also seem to favor a
monopole, while I favor a tripod.

My grand plan was to arrange an all inflatable Field Day for the sole
purpose of getting my picture into QST. However, at my present rate
of progress and level of interest, that's never going to happen.
Perhaps someone else can build it. Don't forget the inflatable Field
Day furnitu
http://www.philippbeisheim.com/sidetable.html

You can also build an inflatable satellite antenna:
https://www.google.com/search?q=inflatable+satellite+antenna&tbm=isch

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 27th 14, 06:08 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1/27/2014 8:05 AM, gareth wrote:
Taking my lead from the way in which spacecraft unload their antennae
and their solar cells, I wonder if there have been any amateur efforts
into folding antennae to beat planning and zonal limitations?

Unlike the spacecraft, the amateur beams would need a folding-back-up
facility, which together with wind-up-and-tilt-over towers would render the
structure invisble when not in use.

Also inspired by the man-across-the-road who is a Punch-and-Judy man
who has devised a booth that folds up neater than a deck-chair.

It sounds like an interesting idea, and I'm sure it could be made
workable from a technical perspective. However, if the unfolded version
doesn't meet planning and zoning requirements, you won't be able to use
it (at least in the United States). It doesn't matter if it meets the
requirements folded or not.

OTOH, for a quick portable antenna (i.e. Field Day, demonstrations, RVs,
etc.), or where high winds can be a problem (i.e. hurricane prone
areas), I can see a definite possibility for such a design. Probably
others, also, if I think about it more.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old January 27th 14, 06:28 PM
Senior Member

If the person is a real ham, they would not live anywhere there was a restriction or a covenant.

The closest thing I have seen to a fold-able antenna would be the Stepp IR antenna - which is a piece of junk in my opinion.

It is a beam antenna on one band - 20 meters I think and is a portion of wavelengths of a dipole antenna everywhere else it operates.

It works on a principal similar to the ribbon track that raises and lowers the side windows in automobiles.
Eventually the stepper motors breaks or the ribbon track breaks and you end up with a pile of very expensive junk!
__________________
No Kings, no queens, no jacks, no long talking washer women...

Old January 27th 14, 07:23 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 27/01/2014 17:00, FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI wrote:
"gareth" wrote in message
Also inspired by the man-across-the-road who is a Punch-and-Judy man
who has devised a booth that folds up neater than a deck-chair.

Did he teach you how to attack postmen?

It must be difficult running a Punch and Judy show there. The constable
would have to keep running off stage and across the road to ... well,
you know the rest.

Old January 27th 14, 07:51 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

On 1/27/2014 8:05 AM, gareth wrote:
Taking my lead from the way in which spacecraft unload their antennae
and their solar cells, I wonder if there have been any amateur efforts
into folding antennae to beat planning and zonal limitations?

Unlike the spacecraft, the amateur beams would need a folding-back-up
facility, which together with wind-up-and-tilt-over towers would render the
structure invisble when not in use.

Also inspired by the man-across-the-road who is a Punch-and-Judy man
who has devised a booth that folds up neater than a deck-chair.

It sounds like an interesting idea, and I'm sure it could be made
workable from a technical perspective. However, if the unfolded version
doesn't meet planning and zoning requirements, you won't be able to use
it (at least in the United States). It doesn't matter if it meets the
requirements folded or not.

In the UK it is quite hard to offend the local authority with a
demountable structure. Most such things are specifically excluded from
planning requirements. So perhaps it is more worthwhile following up
here.

OTOH, for a quick portable antenna (i.e. Field Day, demonstrations, RVs,
etc.), or where high winds can be a problem (i.e. hurricane prone
areas), I can see a definite possibility for such a design. Probably
others, also, if I think about it more.

--

Percy Picacity
Old January 27th 14, 08:24 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
Also inspired by the man-across-the-road who is a Punch-and-Judy man
who has devised a booth that folds up neater than a deck-chair.

Did he teach you how to attack postmen?

It must be difficult running a Punch and Judy show there. The constable
would have to keep running off stage and across the road to ... well, you
know the rest.

My complaint against you for harassment in that you repeatedly made false
accusations
that stated that I assaulted a postman is currently with WPC5829 at
Bracknell.

If others continue to make false allegations on the same line, then I will
also
pursue them for harassment.

Old January 27th 14, 10:57 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 1/27/2014 1:51 PM, Percy Picacity wrote:
In article ,
Jerry Stuckle wrote:

[...]

You're lucky. Around here, even "temporary" structures must meet

Old January 28th 14, 12:07 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
It sounds like an interesting idea, and I'm sure it could be made
workable from a technical perspective. However, if the unfolded version
doesn't meet planning and zoning requirements, you won't be able to use
it (at least in the United States). It doesn't matter if it meets the
requirements folded or not.

In the UK it is quite hard to offend the local authority with a
demountable structure. Most such things are specifically excluded from
planning requirements. So perhaps it is more worthwhile following up
here.

You're lucky. Around here, even "temporary" structures must meet planning
and zoning requirements.

Is that in case "temporary" becomes "permanent"?
--
;-)
..

The 'Post-Democratic' Society ... Unfolding By The Hour Thomas Heger Shortwave 1 December 19th 11 04:09 AM
The 'Post-Democratic' Society ... Unfolding By The Hour joeturn Shortwave 1 December 16th 11 09:44 AM
Antennae base rcklfrtz Homebrew 5 December 17th 06 07:38 AM
Question on antennae JohnM CB 6 July 11th 05 09:19 PM
Antennae of Yesteryear Spike Antenna 15 December 25th 04 09:45 PM