Old October 11th 14, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default OK, let's discuss dipoles vs length

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014 20:08:51 -0000, wrote:
(...)

This group is the only one that I read where topic drift ocurrs almost
immediately, often on the first or second followup posting. In other
groups, it usually takes 5 to 7 messages in a thread to produce the
same result. The problem is that everyone (including me) tends to
post about things that they are familiar with, know something about,
or are passionate about the topic (even if they know nothing about
it). If the initial question or request for comments does not fit
these criteria, many people will simply warp the discussion until it
does. For example, I know something about the mecahanics of antennas,
something about using NEC models, and have a fair collection of
anecdotes and photos from my days in the 2way radio biz. However,
this thread is allegedly about antenna theory, where I am seriously
lacking. Since I don't want to twist the topic away from theory and
into reality, I haven't said anything worth reading (including this
rant).

On the contrary, I think it is quite a worthwile effort especially if
you summarize and publish the results for the benefit of all the arm
wavers saying things like "short antennas are poor radiators".

Good idea. I'm curious, but not curious enough to dig through several
hundred off topic comments to excavate relevent information.

Then you can discuss real data instead of arguing about what some naif
pulled out of his ass.

"Data is free. Information must be fought for"
(Former statistics instructor in college about 1968).

Speaking of dipole antennas, I did this study a while back:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/vertical-dipole/index.html
Animated version:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/vertical-dipole/slides/animated-v-dipole.html
It's a 1/2 wave dipole at various heights above a real ground. Any
semblance to textbook dipole pattern is long gone.

I also did a study of monopoles of various lengths above a ground.
There are a few that are less than 1/4 wave long which should help
with some short antenna phenomenon.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Monopole/index.html
Length Gain
wl dBi
0.050 4.75
0.125 4.85
0.250 5.19
0.500 6.96
0.625 8.01
Notice that the gain doesn't really drop very much when the monopole
is shorter than 1/4 wavelength long. A 1/2 wave dipole exhibits a
similar lack of gain loss for short antennas. So, why are short
antennas generally frowned upon? Lots of reasons but the big one are
losses in the matching networks. the 0.050 wavelength antenna looks
like about 700 ohms impedance. The 0.125 antenna is about

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Old October 11th 14, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Speaking of dipole antennas, I did this study a while back:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/vertical-dipole/index.html
Animated version:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/vertical-dipole/slides/animated-v-dipole.html
It's a 1/2 wave dipole at various heights above a real ground. Any
semblance to textbook dipole pattern is long gone.

Yep, ground has a huge effect on some types of antennas.

An instructive slide show would be the vertical pattern of a horizontal
1/2 dipole at .1, .2, ... .5 wavelengths over ground.

Another one would be a 3 element beam at those heights.

I also did a study of monopoles of various lengths above a ground.
There are a few that are less than 1/4 wave long which should help
with some short antenna phenomenon.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/Monopole/index.html
Length Gain
wl dBi
0.050 4.75
0.125 4.85
0.250 5.19
0.500 6.96
0.625 8.01
Notice that the gain doesn't really drop very much when the monopole
is shorter than 1/4 wavelength long. A 1/2 wave dipole exhibits a
similar lack of gain loss for short antennas. So, why are short
antennas generally frowned upon? Lots of reasons but the big one are
losses in the matching networks. the 0.050 wavelength antenna looks
like about 700 ohms impedance. The 0.125 antenna is about

Nope, the vertical does the same thing when shortened from 1/4 as a
dipole shortened from 1/2 wave.

--
Jim Pennino
Old October 12th 14, 03:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:04:07 -0000, wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Speaking of dipole antennas, I did this study a while back:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/vertical-dipole/index.html
Animated version:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/vertical-dipole/slides/animated-v-dipole.html
It's a 1/2 wave dipole at various heights above a real ground. Any
semblance to textbook dipole pattern is long gone.

Yep, ground has a huge effect on some types of antennas.

An instructive slide show would be the vertical pattern of a horizontal
1/2 dipole at .1, .2, ... .5 wavelengths over ground.

Another one would be a 3 element beam at those heights.

I can do both of these, but I'm busy/lazy this weekend. I also can't
find the program I used to create the annimated GIF file. Argh. It
would also be helpful if someone would specify the frequency range of
interest.

[...]

Thanks, that's what I meant to say but never finished the posting. I
had to run and clicked "send" before I was finished scribbling the
last paragraph.

Old October 12th 14, 04:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/12/2014 12:41 AM, wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:04:07 -0000,
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Speaking of dipole antennas, I did this study a while back:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/vertical-dipole/index.html
Animated version:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/vertical-dipole/slides/animated-v-dipole.html
It's a 1/2 wave dipole at various heights above a real ground. Any
semblance to textbook dipole pattern is long gone.

Yep, ground has a huge effect on some types of antennas.

An instructive slide show would be the vertical pattern of a horizontal
1/2 dipole at .1, .2, ... .5 wavelengths over ground.

Another one would be a 3 element beam at those heights.

I can do both of these, but I'm busy/lazy this weekend. I also can't
find the program I used to create the annimated GIF file. Argh. It
would also be helpful if someone would specify the frequency range of
interest.

It doesn't matter if everything is done in wavelengths.

I guess there are some who would want to see that a 160 meter dipole
at say .2 wavelengths high has the same pattern as a 2 meter dipole
at .2 wavelengths if for no other reason than to be assured the effects
are frequency independant.

Something else might be interesting; include the effects of sag
(centenary) in a wire antenna. Has anyone done that? I mean, using EZNEC
or NEC modeling.

Old October 12th 14, 04:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/12/2014 10:20 AM, John S wrote:
On 10/12/2014 12:41 AM, wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 11 Oct 2014 18:04:07 -0000,
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

[...]

Arrgh! Catenary instead of what I posted. Damn spell checker is dumb on
a lot of math and engineering terms. Sorry
Old October 12th 14, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John S wrote in :

Catenary instead of what I posted.

Yes. I should have read your second post before my first reply..
Old October 12th 14, 05:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John S wrote in :

Something else might be interesting; include the effects of sag
(centenary) in a wire antenna.

Agreed. I was thinking about that possibility last night. Meaning 'catenary',
perhaps? As in 'hanging chain'? I doubt any longwire would lack this, so
modelling it would be useful.
Old October 12th 14, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/12/2014 11:18 AM, Lostgallifreyan wrote:
John S wrote in :

Something else might be interesting; include the effects of sag
(centenary) in a wire antenna.

Agreed. I was thinking about that possibility last night. Meaning 'catenary',
perhaps? As in 'hanging chain'? I doubt any longwire would lack this, so
modelling it would be useful.

This is an interesting modeling situation. After you get acquainted with
your modeling software of choice, let's work on it to see what
differences there are. We can compare notes, if you like. Sound like
fun? If so, let's start another thread, yes?
Old October 12th 14, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Lostgallifreyan wrote:
John S wrote in :

Something else might be interesting; include the effects of sag
(centenary) in a wire antenna.

Agreed. I was thinking about that possibility last night. Meaning 'catenary',
perhaps? As in 'hanging chain'? I doubt any longwire would lack this, so
modelling it would be useful.

I doubt you will see any significant difference.

I've done a lot of modeling with V's and inverted V's. Except for a slight
diffenence due to ground effects at low heights, there is no difference
between them.

As the angle goes from 180 degrees, i.e. a dipole, the impedance goes
down and and the pattern spreads out.

As the angle gets smaller, the gain goes down, the pattern becomes almost
circular like a vertical, and the antenna starts looking like a transmission
line, which it becomes when the angle gets to 0, with some spacing between
the wires of course.

And like an ordinary dipole, height over ground has a major effect on
the pattern.

Example: At 108 degrees, the impedance is about 65 Ohms and the broadside
null of the dipole is now only about 7 dB down from the main lobe.

But as the inverted V is a popular antenna, the pattern with common
leg angles would be instrutive.

--
Jim Pennino

Real Oil Drillers Discuss MC 252 dave Shortwave 2 May 15th 10 10:24 PM
Discuss about books chandru Shortwave 0 July 12th 08 11:34 AM
OT , You may need to discuss this . [email protected] CB 2 November 30th 07 12:51 AM
Anyone care to discuss... Professor CB 11 April 23rd 05 07:35 PM
Art Bell to discuss BPL on C-to-C AM TONIGHT (??) 3/20/04 Jim Hampton Policy 0 March 20th 04 10:59 PM