Old October 13th 14, 06:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The catenary effect

Jim is right. There is almost no difference in a V and a catenary as far
as the antenna is concerned.

It would really wind up being an exercise of "can we really model a
catenary?"

If anyone disagrees, we will do it. (NOTE: I said "we", not just me)
Old October 13th 14, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John S wrote:
Jim is right. There is almost no difference in a V and a catenary as far
as the antenna is concerned.

It would really wind up being an exercise of "can we really model a
catenary?"

If anyone disagrees, we will do it. (NOTE: I said "we", not just me)

It depends on how close you want the model to be, but in general all you
do is break the catenary, or any curve you want, into a series of
straight line segments.

--
Jim Pennino
Old October 13th 14, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John S wrote in :

Jim is right. There is almost no difference in a V and a catenary as far
as the antenna is concerned.

It would really wind up being an exercise of "can we really model a
catenary?"

If anyone disagrees, we will do it. (NOTE: I said "we", not just me)

No worries, I'm willing to accept that, now and as of last night's talk too.
This is useful to me as it is, it gives a good example of diminishing returns
in some lines of exploration.
Old October 14th 14, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John S wrote in :

Yes, of course. And, with the free version of EZNEC, one must be careful
not to exceed the max segments allowed.

I've started reading the manual, I suspect there's little danger of that.
At least with EZNEC+ 4 onwards, not sure about standard version. I suspect
like curves built in segments in Sketchup, or the straight bars in the chains
of the Clifton Suspension Bridge, the amount of fine tuning you'll get in
using more than about 24 segments for a catenary might be an exercise in
diminishing returns, and that even just 3 to 5 might be adequate, if the
deviation from straight is small.

Old October 14th 14, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/14/2014 12:18 PM, wrote:
John S wrote:
On 10/13/2014 12:38 PM,
wrote:
John S wrote:
Jim is right. There is almost no difference in a V and a catenary as far
as the antenna is concerned.

It would really wind up being an exercise of "can we really model a
catenary?"

If anyone disagrees, we will do it. (NOTE: I said "we", not just me)

It depends on how close you want the model to be, but in general all you
do is break the catenary, or any curve you want, into a series of
straight line segments.

Yes, of course. And, with the free version of EZNEC, one must be careful
not to exceed the max segments allowed.

Not really a problem as it does not take many segments to represent the
ends, which has a slow change, as the center part with a more rapid
change.

If I were going to do it, I would use something like a spreadsheet
to plot the curve then draw straight line segments on the curve and
plug those directly into EZNEC.

Interestin that you suggest that. See below. Note that I am not
affiliated with EZNEC in anyway other than as a very satisfied user.

The extreme case is modeling a loop as a geometric figure with straight
side.

EZNEC will generate loops with whatever number of sides you want and
thus it is fairly easy to see when increasing the number of sides
gives diminishing returns in the difference between the loops.

While checking the EZNEC Web site to see if I had the latest version two
days ago, I discovered a dynamite Excel spreadsheet application. It is
called AutoEZ. Just today I learned how to use it to generate a curve of
antenna efficiency vs permeability of the wire.

I also was able to reproduce the list I posted earlier of efficiency vs
antenna length in a matter of seconds. I am flabbergasted with this tool.

It seems to have an optimize tool that I have yet to explore.

There is a free version with limitations.

Doppler effect Szczepan Bialek Antenna 7 October 20th 11 04:41 PM
Odd lightning effect Bill Ogden[_2_] Antenna 4 June 25th 09 11:56 AM
WRC-03 changes now in effect R.F. Burns Swap 2 May 4th 06 11:24 PM
skin effect Alfred Lorona Antenna 9 August 21st 03 09:09 PM
skin effect Alfred Lorona Antenna 0 August 13th 03 05:15 AM