Old July 28th 15, 11:32 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default "Bal uhn" or "bayl uhn"?

In message , Jeff writes
On 27/07/2015 21:45, Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

Definitely 'Bal-Un' only. Never heard it said any other way.

Unfortunately, Brits and Merkins are blessed with a not-so-common
language which is neither reliably phonetic nor consistent in its
idiosyncratic non-phoneticism.
--
Ian
Old July 28th 15, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/27/2015 3:45 PM, Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

Hey, Wayne -

Do you have or want EZNEC? There is a free (limited) version.

Just curious.

Old July 28th 15, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/28/2015 11:57 AM, John S wrote:
On 7/27/2015 3:45 PM, Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

Hey, Wayne -

Do you have or want EZNEC? There is a free (limited) version.

Just curious.

Sorry, folks. I meant to post this in another thread.

Old July 28th 15, 06:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John S" wrote in message ...

On 7/28/2015 11:57 AM, John S wrote:
On 7/27/2015 3:45 PM, Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

Hey, Wayne -

Do you have or want EZNEC? There is a free (limited) version.

Just curious.

Sorry, folks. I meant to post this in another thread.

But to go ahead with an answer...
Thanks. I have version 3.0, and it does the job for me.

I got my first copy back in the days when W7EL frequented this group and
knew by call sign who had legal copies

Old July 29th 15, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 10:58:28 -0700, "Wayne"
wrote:

But to go ahead with an answer...
Thanks. I have version 3.0, and it does the job for me.

I got my first copy back in the days when W7EL frequented this group and
knew by call sign who had legal copies

You might want to try 4NEC2:
http://www.qsl.net/4nec2/
Showing off... some of my results (not all original):
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/
Mo
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=4nec2+antenna+models

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Old July 29th 15, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

But to go ahead with an answer...
Thanks. I have version 3.0, and it does the job for me.

I got my first copy back in the days when W7EL frequented this group and
knew by call sign who had legal copies

You might want to try 4NEC2:
http://www.qsl.net/4nec2/
Showing off... some of my results (not all original):
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/antennas/
Mo
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=4nec2+antenna+models
*****************

Looks good. I'll give it a try.

Old July 29th 15, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/28/2015 12:58 PM, Wayne wrote:

"John S" wrote in message ...

Hey, Wayne -

Do you have or want EZNEC? There is a free (limited) version.

Just curious.

Thanks. I have version 3.0, and it does the job for me.

I got my first copy back in the days when W7EL frequented this group and
knew by call sign who had legal copies

The hidden reason I asked the question is that I think you should model
some antennas and look at the current on the shield of the transmission
line. I have done this, and I don't see major problems if the system
remains balanced just as lore suggests.

This brings up a question of my own. By changing the slope of the coax
shield, I can get increased current in it. The question is, at what
point does it become a problem? As far as the antenna pattern is
concerned, I would not worry. RF in the shack is another matter. In
about 1958, my lips got some RF when they touched the D104 mike. Didn't
hurt me, but I didn't like it. At the time I had no understanding of
this phenomenon.

Anyway, it would be nice if we could decide, measure, or simulate how
much feed line current should be allowed. Maybe the answer is to
simulate how much voltage appears in the shack.

Lots of questions. A large area for investigation.
Old July 29th 15, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John S" wrote in message ...

[...]

The reason for my balun question (other than to generate meaningful
technical banter on the newsgroup) is that some years ago in the age of
sliderules, a widely known and respected antenna guru told me that a balun
was unnecessary at resonance ( j=0 ).

I lost touch with him and don't know if his views changed over the years.

Old July 29th 15, 06:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John S" wrote in message ...

[...]

I disagree with him.

Please see Roy Lewallen's (W7EL, author of EZNEC) site for some good
reading. He is a superb writer of easy to understand technical tidbits.
He has some balun stuff among other stuff.

http://eznec.com/misc/
Old July 29th 15, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/29/2015 1:42 PM, John S wrote:
On 7/29/2015 11:56 AM, Wayne wrote:

Lots of questions. A large area for investigation.

The reason for my balun question (other than to generate meaningful
technical banter on the newsgroup) is that some years ago in the age of
sliderules, a widely known and respected antenna guru told me that a
balun was unnecessary at resonance ( j=0 ).

I lost touch with him and don't know if his views changed over the years.

I disagree with him.

Please see Roy Lewallen's (W7EL, author of EZNEC) site for some good
reading. He is a superb writer of easy to understand technical tidbits.
He has some balun stuff among other stuff.

http://eznec.com/misc/

Perhaps someone can explain the issue of current in the coax shield.
Current gives rise to a magnetic field. But the current in the inner
conductor is opposite and would create a magnetic field that would
cancel the field of the outer conductor, no?

What am I missing?

--

Rick