Old July 27th 15, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default "Bal uhn" or "bayl uhn"?

Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but not
many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and I've
rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

Old July 27th 15, 10:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/27/2015 4:45 PM, Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

Where does the "y" come in? The word is a contraction of balanced and
unbalanced. So I figure it should be pronounced "bal uhn" just like the
beginning of the two words it stands for.

Maybe the 'y' is added further south than Virginia.

--

Rick
Old July 27th 15, 10:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

This is not the first time this question has arisen.
A quick check on Google with pronunciation dictionaries, wickipedia and
such inevitably comes up bal un -- I've never heard the pronunciation
using the y. I've used baluns, but never bayluns! :-)

Irv VE6BP
Old July 27th 15, 10:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , rickman
writes
On 7/27/2015 4:45 PM, Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

Where does the "y" come in? The word is a contraction of balanced and
unbalanced. So I figure it should be pronounced "bal uhn" just like
the beginning of the two words it stands for.

Maybe the 'y' is added further south than Virginia.

"Bayl-uhn" suggests that the user doesn't know (or care about) the
obvious origin and meaning of the word. The same goes for the occasional
use of "bal-uhm" and "bayl-uhm.
--
Ian
Old July 27th 15, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Irv Finkleman" wrote in message
Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

This is not the first time this question has arisen.
A quick check on Google with pronunciation dictionaries, wickipedia and
such inevitably comes up bal un -- I've never heard the pronunciation
using the y. I've used baluns, but never bayluns! :-)

I have heard it both ways. Mostly bal un.

It is suspose to be pronounced that way as it is just the contraction of
balanced unbalanced. I don't know where the Y comes from and I am in the
south.

Old July 27th 15, 11:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but not
many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and I've
rarely heard "bayl uhn".

I suspect it may be a regional-accent sort of thing. Some people
probably pronounce it based on its word origin ("balanced/unbalanced",
hence "bal uhn") and some based on its appearance (like "basic" or
"basted" or even "bailin' wire").

Old July 27th 15, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/27/2015 4:05 PM, rickman wrote:
On 7/27/2015 4:45 PM, Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

Where does the "y" come in? The word is a contraction of balanced and
unbalanced. So I figure it should be pronounced "bal uhn" just like the
beginning of the two words it stands for.

Maybe the 'y' is added further south than Virginia.

I think Wayne added the 'y' to indicate that the 'a' is pronounced as in
'ace' rather than as in 'father'.
Old July 27th 15, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/27/2015 5:17 PM, Dave Platt wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but not
many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and I've
rarely heard "bayl uhn".

I suspect it may be a regional-accent sort of thing. Some people
probably pronounce it based on its word origin ("balanced/unbalanced",
hence "bal uhn") and some based on its appearance (like "basic" or
"basted" or even "bailin' wire").

When balun is mispronounced "bayl uhn" it increases the original
insertion loss by 2.3 percent. "Bailin" causes an increase loss of 3.3
percent. These losses can be reduced substantially by removing the
"baeleen".
Old July 28th 15, 12:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/27/2015 3:45 PM, Wayne wrote:
Just today I got a question from a new ham on the pronunciation of balun.

He has been around the scientific community a lot (physicists, etc.) but
not many RF types such as engineers or hams.

He claims that he rarely has ever hear the pronunciation "bal uhn", and
I've rarely heard "bayl uhn".

Anybody want to weigh in on this, heh heh

I found this at ARRL:

https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Tech...df/7902015.pdf

Old July 28th 15, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 7/27/2015 5:55 PM, FBMBoomer wrote:
[...]

If it is pronounced "transformer", the insertion gain goes up 3.05 degrees.