Old August 17th 04, 05:13 PM
Roger Adam

Mike,

try here http://www.usfamily.net/web/k9eq/ah4/ah4.htm

regards,

Roger G7JAQ

Old August 17th 04, 05:18 PM
Reg Edwards

You just need a simple choke balun between the balanced ladder line and the
unbalanced tuner.

A choke balun can be made by winding a pair of wires (like 18 or 16 gauge
speaker cable) around a 2" diameter ferrite ring. 12 to 18 turns will do
provided cable length on the ring is not longer than 1/10th wavelength at
the highest frequency of use.

How it works is intuitively obvious.
---
Reg.

"Michael Melland" wrote in message
Anyone feeding a dipole with ladder line feed from an Icom AH-4 ?

I can find articles from people using it with whips and random length
wires.... but I'd like to feed a dipole with ladder line from it.... one

leg
to the tuner's ground and the other leg the active tuner output. I think

would be able to float the tuner without a fixed "ground" connection then
.... the non active leg acts like a counterpoise in a balanced antenna

like
this right (?).

Mike

--
Michael Melland, W9WIS
Winneconne, WI USA

Old August 17th 04, 05:55 PM
Michael Melland

Default Dipole and Icom AH-4

Anyone feeding a dipole with ladder line feed from an Icom AH-4 ?

I can find articles from people using it with whips and random length
wires.... but I'd like to feed a dipole with ladder line from it.... one leg
to the tuner's ground and the other leg the active tuner output. I think I

Old August 17th 04, 08:43 PM
KA9CAR

1) Do NOT float the tuner, you will destroy the electronics. Grounding one
side of a dipole won't affect it unless you have a low impeadence ground
surface and a high impeadence antenna. Even then it will just skew your
pattern.

2) I ran an Alinco version of that tuner to balanced line for several
years. Worked well ( I got the idea from an SGC publication). When I
was later changing to a Johnson matchmatch box, I did some A / B comparisons
and found that receive signal strength was higher on the Matchbox on some
bands than it was on the unbalanced autotuner, but I had to look for the
differences.

3) I tried a home made air core 1:1 balun in the line. It tuned but the
signal strength was better with out the balun.

4) I fed both dipoles and loops this way.

KA9CAR

Old August 18th 04, 02:39 PM
Chuck

Hi Mike,

How did you plan to float the tuner? It would
probably be grounded through the coax shield and
possibly through the dc power ground, wouldn't it?

Chuck