Old October 12th 15, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 160m Dipole on 30M

My 16Ø dipole (1Ø5 each leg and 75ft twin lead) wont tune 3Ø with auto
tuner on rig. Its fine on the other low bands I want to work (40/80/160)

Anyone know a way to help it tune ???? It tries and even finds a low SWR
of about 1.1 - 1 but then goes off into the sunset detunes and times
out.

Old October 12th 15, 10:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"R. Scott" wrote:

My 16Ø dipole (1Ø5 each leg and 75ft twin lead) wont tune 3Ø with auto
tuner on rig. Its fine on the other low bands I want to work (40/80/160)

Anyone know a way to help it tune ???? It tries and even finds a low SWR
of about 1.1 - 1 but then goes off into the sunset detunes and times
out.

R.-

Isn't 105 feet close to 30 Meters? That would make the feed point a
high impedance.

The twin lead acts like an impedance transformer. As a test, try adding
about 20 feet of twin lead, and see what changes.

Fred
K4DII
Old October 12th 15, 10:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"R. Scott" wrote in message ...

My 16Ø dipole (1Ø5 each leg and 75ft twin lead) wont tune 3Ø with auto
tuner on rig. Its fine on the other low bands I want to work (40/80/160)

Anyone know a way to help it tune ???? It tries and even finds a low SWR of
about 1.1 - 1 but then goes off into the sunset detunes and times
out.

You might try changing the feedline length. That won't do anything for the
antenna system SWR, but it will move the impedance seen by the tuner to a
different position on the Smith chart.

Your tuner might be happy with that new impedance.

Wayne

W5GIE

Old October 13th 15, 06:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Feedline is sealed (commercial antenna), but I think I can break it open Ill let you know how it goes.

Old October 13th 15, 06:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 10/12/2015 1:09 PM, R. Scott wrote:
My 16Ø dipole (1Ø5 each leg and 75ft twin lead) wont tune 3Ø with auto
tuner on rig. Its fine on the other low bands I want to work (40/80/160)

Anyone know a way to help it tune ???? It tries and even finds a low SWR
of about 1.1 - 1 but then goes off into the sunset detunes and times
out.

Does it have a halt or stop button so you can make it stop where the low
SWR occurs? If so, have you tried that?

80m/160m trap dipole maxpower Antenna 10 June 23rd 09 05:41 PM
l/2 horizontal dipole vs inverted L 160m band tzitzikas Antenna 3 January 3rd 09 08:32 PM
160m John Doe Equipment 1 September 2nd 07 02:39 PM
160m John Doe Swap 1 August 26th 07 06:10 PM
PSK on 160m from 9V Bob 9V1GO Digital 0 January 6th 04 12:49 PM