Old October 15th 15, 12:00 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The little holes in PL259

On 15/10/2015 09:09, gareth wrote:
"gareth" wrote in message
What's the solution to soldering through to the underlying braid in a
PL259 if the only
soldering iron small enough to engage the holes is a low-power jobbie?

Perchance the solution lies in using a junior hacksaw to make a slot
between two of the holes
so the big iron can get in there?

This is for an outdoors connection, so I want to ensure that it is sound.

.... and thereby hangs a tale ...

I have a large soldering iron which has proved to be dangerous in use,
because the
bit falls out and could not be resolved, until, that is, this morning when I
relaised that
if I jammed some hook-up wire into the hole in parallel with the bit then
the problem
could be resolved.

Result; one soldered PL259

Must close now because my aerail rigger is due in half an hour, but thanks
for all the
positively social hints and tips!

And the moral of this story? ... _NEVER_ buy any tools with the "Draper"
brand.

If you really must use them you can now obtain compression fit UHF
connectors from most good suppliers. Far more reliable than buggering
about with big soldering irons and much quicker to apply. For an example
see ebay item 290800326125.

--
Mouse.
Where Morse meets House.
Old October 15th 15, 12:22 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
[...]

Right!
I recently bought one for a short jumper cable to adapt from PL-259
to N female (and have some flexibility at the same time) and those
connectors not only are much easier to fit but also connect much more
reliably.
Old October 15th 15, 01:50 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 2m colinear (Was : The little holes in PL259)

"gareth" wrote in message

Must close now because my aerail rigger is due in half an hour, but thanks
for all the
positively social hints and tips!

We got the colinear down, but how does one get to the SO239 to remove the
feeder?

I don't know its make, because I got it 2nd hand about 12 years ago at the
Flight Refuelling
rally.

It's about 8 feet long, and a the bottom are 3 little radials about 18
inches long. As far as I can
remember, one should remove the stub pole from the bottom to access the
SO239, but therein is the problem.

We had the Stilson wrench, and any number of plumber's grippers, but it
won't budge, even after the
application of WD40 and the the gas blowlamp (and there's an interesting
thing, I'd not used the blowlamp for
about 20 years and Lo! and Behold! it has a soldering iron attachment
exactly right for the original PL259
problem (shame facedly) )

Any ideas, apart from sawing the stub to bits and replacing it with other
aluminium tube?

YES!!!! We did remove the little nut that fixeth the stub pole :-)

Old October 15th 15, 01:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"A. non Eyemouse" wrote in message

If you really must use them you can now obtain compression fit UHF
connectors from most good suppliers. Far more reliable than buggering
about with big soldering irons and much quicker to apply. For an example
see ebay item 290800326125.

You forget that the Mongolian Hordes hold that I am a penniless failure, but
like
all abusive children, they are reckless as to the source of their gleeful
insults, for example,
I have never blown up an FT101E.

Old October 15th 15, 01:57 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Brian Reay" wrote in message

Once again, there is your infsntile sneer.

Why do you behave like that, Brian?

Anyone who struggles to master the fitting of a solder 259 correctly
probably shouldn't go delving into a bit of equipment to change an SO239.

Old October 15th 15, 02:55 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
A survey of the posts from STC over the past 3 years will find nothing of
value,
even a confusion between sidetone and sideband,
but hundreds of gratuitously abusive remarks; remarks for which someone
described
him as a narcissistic sociopath.

And being a sociopath, he will not be consciously aware of the manner in
which
his behaviour is seen as aggressive and destructive, and in response to any
criticism will
latch on to that criticism as the attention that he so desperatey seeks by a
further issue
of abusive remarks.

Old October 15th 15, 03:15 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"gareth" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote in message
A survey of the posts from STC over the past 3 years will find nothing of
value, even a confusion between sidetone and sideband,
but hundreds of gratuitously abusive remarks; remarks for which someone
described him as a narcissistic sociopath.

And being a sociopath, he will not be consciously aware of the manner in
which his behaviour is seen as aggressive and destructive, and in response
to any criticism will latch on to that criticism as the attention that he
so desperatey seeks by a further issue of abusive remarks.

More "Freudian Projection" on your part, old Bean?
--
;-)
..

Old October 15th 15, 03:41 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 13:50:21 +0100, "gareth"
wrote:

"gareth" wrote in message

[...]

May well be corrosion welded! A few sharp taps with a hammer might
help !!
Old October 15th 15, 03:59 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rambo wrote:
A few sharp taps with a hammer might
help !!

Perhaps we might suggest same to Gareth's doctor?

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old October 15th 15, 04:39 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 15/10/2015 12:22, Rob wrote:
A. non Eyemouse wrote:

If you really must use them [PL259s]you can now obtain compression fit UHF
connectors from most good suppliers. Far more reliable than buggering
about with big soldering irons and much quicker to apply. For an example
see ebay item 290800326125.

Right!

WHS

The Napoleonic work-creation employed in getting candidate licence
holders to solder PL259s roughly equates to making the potential user of
an MP3 player get a certificate of competence in how to use wind-up
gramophones, but with rather more H&S risks involved. IOW, it's as
ridiculous as making them wire a mains plug, when all they'll do is buy
factory-made gear that has by law for the last 25 years had to have a
mains plug pre-fitted. Perhaps it's something to do with the M3-popular
4kW 'burners'.

Rather than all this farting and flapping about with the totally
unnecessary, it'd be easier and cheaper to get a HAREC from, say, the
IRTS single-sitting single exam. A UK (Reciprocal) Full licence obtained
on the strength of it is indistinguishable over the air from any other
UK Full licence.

I recently bought one for a short jumper cable to adapt from PL-259
to N female (and have some flexibility at the same time) and those
connectors not only are much easier to fit but also connect much more
reliably.

--
Spike

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power" - Abraham Lincoln

Tube socket holes JIMMIE Homebrew 5 March 27th 10 03:07 PM
Female PL259? Dave Platt Antenna 6 September 5th 06 12:28 PM
RCA - PL259 (female)? Lisa Simpson Shortwave 5 June 14th 06 09:00 PM
Metric PL259? Airy R. Bean Homebrew 26 August 30th 04 12:16 PM
PL259 Query Airy R. Bean Homebrew 2 August 9th 04 02:24 PM