Old August 13th 03, 01:23 AM
PMac

Default Magnetic Loop Experiences

Hi, I am in an area with a fairly high manmade, powerline noise and
interference level. I am thinking of building a magnetic loop for 160, 80 &
40 metres and was hoping that it would not be so susceptible to the above
types of interference. Also the antenna size factor appeals to me but
comparisons with a dipole are hard to find. Any comments appreciated.

73 Peter VK2EVB

Old August 13th 03, 02:31 AM
Loopfan

Hello PMac!

I've built many homebrew loops and they work great! The project was so
successful for me that I wrote up quite a few pages about them:

http://www.greertech.com/hfloop/mymagloop.html

They are truly fascinating. In about 15 minutes time, you can build one
of these to see if it helps. They saved the hobby for me!

73 Loopfan

Old August 15th 03, 03:28 PM
Tom Coates

Monty, N5ESE, has described a loop construction project at
http://www.io.com/~n5fc/loop_ant.html

I haven't built one myself, but I plan to, once some other things are out of
the way. There are other interesting projects and project ideas on Monty's
site.

Tom, N3IJ

Old August 20th 03, 02:05 AM
PMac

Hi Tom, Thanks for your message. I have since borrowed a homebrew loop for
camparisons with my trap vertical. (I had to take my trap dipole down) Well
to put it straight I am amazed that a small 36" dia transmitting loop on 40
metres works every bit as good as my trapped vertical and with half the
noise level. I can actually hear the stations. They give me good reports and
when I switch to the vertical closer contacts give weaker reports but on DX
they both seem the same. This is with the loop 10 feet high off the ground.
Hope that is of interestto you....73 de Peter VK2EVB a loop convert.