Old August 21st 04, 06:38 PM
Ron

Default Preferred antenna location

Other than locating an antenna as high as posible and in open space, are there
"sweet spots" that behave like funnels for radio waves? By moving a portable
receiver around to find the strongest signal, I have noticed that certain
locations (I'm talking feet and yards, not miles) produce much more signal
strength than others. Of course, I also end up moving the antenna angle too
which may be responsible for this behavior. Just wondering if this effect is
worth considering when installing an antenna. Or am I just finding the
strongest lobe of the antenna pattern?

Ron, W4TQT

Old August 21st 04, 06:56 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:38:42 GMT, Ron wrote:

Just wondering if this effect is
worth considering when installing an antenna.

Hi Ron,

There is merit in doing a site survey, as this would be called.
However, if you are doing this in the VHF/UHF regions, you may wish to
consider that you are part of the optimization by being in the region
of this best signal determination. If you plant a permanent fixture
on this basis, you might want to set up your easy chair nearby to
maintain the optimization.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old August 23rd 04, 03:59 AM
Hal Rosser

you'll find as the height of the antenna increases, the need for a
'sweet-spot' decreases - because the sweetest spot is up high.

"Ron" wrote in message
r.com...
Other than locating an antenna as high as posible and in open space, are

there
"sweet spots" that behave like funnels for radio waves? By moving a

portable
receiver around to find the strongest signal, I have noticed that certain
locations (I'm talking feet and yards, not miles) produce much more signal
strength than others. Of course, I also end up moving the antenna angle

too
which may be responsible for this behavior. Just wondering if this effect

is
worth considering when installing an antenna. Or am I just finding the
strongest lobe of the antenna pattern?

Ron, W4TQT

---

Old August 24th 04, 12:59 PM
rc

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 17:38:42 GMT, Ron wrote:

Other than locating an antenna as high as posible and in open space, are there
"sweet spots" that behave like funnels for radio waves? By moving a portable
receiver around to find the strongest signal, I have noticed that certain
locations (I'm talking feet and yards, not miles) produce much more signal
strength than others. Of course, I also end up moving the antenna angle too
which may be responsible for this behavior. Just wondering if this effect is
worth considering when installing an antenna. Or am I just finding the
strongest lobe of the antenna pattern?

Ron, W4TQT

There absolutely are "sweet spots", but how do you find them?

I think the most fun working with antennas is the unknown. After all
the formulas and calculations, the tuning, the trimming and tweaking,
etc., the element of chance enters the picture, where you put the damn
thing :-)

It's like flipping a coin, I guess.

Ron, W1WBV

Old August 25th 04, 02:25 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

Other than locating an antenna as high as posible and in open space, are there

"sweet spots" that behave like funnels for radio waves?

Ron, W1WBV

There are.
I would group them into two huge groups: one, large geography, two, immediate
surroundings.

Geography and ground conditions can focus or disperse radio waves as well as
contribute to the formation of the antenna pattern. Example would be antennas
on sloping hills, bluff on the shore of ocean.

Immediate surroundings can cause reflections and sweet spots. Example I came
across was small loop next to the Beverage. It had better performance than
either lone antenna, better S/N. Another contributor are the guy wires,
surrounding towers and anything metallic. Easily seen with mobile setup.

Yuri, K3BU.us