Old March 26th 16, 05:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default RF Window Size

On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 16:54:42 -0400, Pat wrote:

Before hacking out insulation, I'd try the attic approach first.

Too late. I already did it and without moving the wifi module to be
near the hole, the signal already improved from marginal (a red
indicator LED) to OK (the LED is now yellow). Tomorrow, I will move
the wifi module to be near the hole. I expect a green LED after that.

Pat

Final update: I moved the wifi device to right in front of my RF
hole. The LED is green and everything is back to normal. I replaced
the old insulation with non-foil type and covered the hole with the
$15 cover plate a mentioned in previous posts. All is well. Thanks.

Pat
Old March 26th 16, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 3/26/2016 1:45 PM, Pat wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 16:54:42 -0400, Pat wrote:

Before hacking out insulation, I'd try the attic approach first.

Too late. I already did it and without moving the wifi module to be
near the hole, the signal already improved from marginal (a red
indicator LED) to OK (the LED is now yellow). Tomorrow, I will move
the wifi module to be near the hole. I expect a green LED after that.

Pat

Final update: I moved the wifi device to right in front of my RF
hole. The LED is green and everything is back to normal. I replaced
the old insulation with non-foil type and covered the hole with the
$15 cover plate a mentioned in previous posts. All is well. Thanks.

Good job.

I will say the metal is on the insulation for a reason. It may be
moisture barrier. Is that important with your shed?

--

Rick
Old March 26th 16, 08:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 14:09:26 -0400, rickman wrote:

On 3/26/2016 1:45 PM, Pat wrote:
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016 16:54:42 -0400, Pat wrote:

Before hacking out insulation, I'd try the attic approach first.

Too late. I already did it and without moving the wifi module to be
near the hole, the signal already improved from marginal (a red
indicator LED) to OK (the LED is now yellow). Tomorrow, I will move
the wifi module to be near the hole. I expect a green LED after that.

Pat

Final update: I moved the wifi device to right in front of my RF
hole. The LED is green and everything is back to normal. I replaced
the old insulation with non-foil type and covered the hole with the
$15 cover plate a mentioned in previous posts. All is well. Thanks.

Good job.

I will say the metal is on the insulation for a reason. It may be
moisture barrier. Is that important with your shed?

It can't be very important since none of it was there until the new
siding was added. The siding was added for aesthetic reasons - not to
solve any other problems. However, I did add a plastic sheet over the
hole before replacing the fiberglass batt insulation in the stud wall.
I will keep an eye on it in extreme weather (hot or cold) to make
sure.

Pat

Old March 26th 16, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 3/26/2016 1:45 PM, Pat wrote:
[...]

Just curious, which side is the metal and plastic on, inside or out? I
expect they used materials intended for living space just because that
is what they normally use. None of this is likely to be important for
your use. I think the vapor barrier is normally on the inside to
prevent moisture from inside getting into the insulation which would
then conduct heat more readily. In any event I think you have a winner.

--

Rick

Old March 27th 16, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 18:30:50 -0400, rickman wrote:

Just curious, which side is the metal and plastic on, inside or out? I
expect they used materials intended for living space just because that
is what they normally use. None of this is likely to be important for
your use. I think the vapor barrier is normally on the inside to
prevent moisture from inside getting into the insulation which would
then conduct heat more readily. In any event I think you have a winner.

Before cutting the hole, I would have said outside, but it turns out
the foil was on both. And, yes, you are correct that they used the
same material they brought for the big job - siding the occupied
building.

Pat