Old May 20th 16, 05:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default When did ignorance overcome education, for the correct plural is, "antennae"?

gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339 wrote:
"Mike Ross" wrote in message
On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 8:28:38 AM UTC-4, gareth wrote:
"joe" wrote in message
gareth wrote:
I have in my possession a book entitled, "Antennae", published in 1942
by a lecturer to both King's College, London, and also to various Brit
government
establishments.
At some point since then, the ignorance of either engineers or of
Yanks
has tried
to pass off, "Antennas" as the plural.
If we pride ourselves on the exactness of our principles, then it is
high
time to correct this glaring error by the Yanks.
(Book being studied avidly, although with some necessary revision
ov vector field theory; div, curl and grad, anyone?)
From an online dictionary:
I guess that it would be a fair assumption, bearing in mind the
development
of
computers and, much later, the Internet, that your online dictionaries
originated
several decades after 1942, and long after the ignoramuses' error arose?

Um, wouldn't that be "ignorami"??

Ignoramus is the 1st person plural of a verb, which has subsequently
been adopted as a noun in English. However, "antennae" was correct
English in 1942, as described above, so, as was said above,

So was kilocycles and micro-micro farads.

Things change; get over it.

--
Jim Pennino
Old May 20th 16, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339
writes
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339
writes

Ignoramus is the 1st person plural of a verb,

But what is the infinitive?
http://webtranslation.paralink.com/
doesn't seem to recognise anything I try.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=ignoramus

I tried "ignorare" first, then the other declensions - but the translation
site didn't like any of them. For some reason, it accepts it now (gives
the translation simply as "to ignore").

My Cassells Latin dictionary from about 1880 only gives the 1st person
singular indicative active present tense of, "ignoro".

Old May 20th 16, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"joe" wrote in message
gareth wrote:
I have in my possession a book entitled, "Antennae", published in 1942
by a lecturer to both King's College, London, and also to various Brit
government
establishments.
At some point since then, the ignorance of either engineers or of
Yanks
has tried
to pass off, "Antennas" as the plural.
If we pride ourselves on the exactness of our principles, then it is
high
time to correct this glaring error by the Yanks.
(Book being studied avidly, although with some necessary revision
ov vector field theory; div, curl and grad, anyone?)
From an online dictionary:
I guess that it would be a fair assumption, bearing in mind the
development
of
computers and, much later, the Internet, that your online dictionaries
originated
several decades after 1942, and long after the ignoramuses' error arose?
Um, wouldn't that be "ignorami"??

Ignoramus is the 1st person plural of a verb, which has subsequently
been adopted as a noun in English. However, "antennae" was correct
English in 1942, as described above, so, as was said above,

So was kilocycles and micro-micro farads.

Things change; get over it.

Hmmm, I think you mean "So *were* kilocycles and micro-micro farads."

--

Rick C
Old May 20th 16, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Ian Jackson
writes

I tried "ignorare" first, then the other declensions - but the
translation site didn't like any of them. For some reason, it accepts
it now (gives the translation simply as "to ignore").

Talking about 'ignoramus', fortunately no one spotted that
'conjugations' are not 'declensions'. But as Shakespeare' Juliet
said..... "What's in a name?" (etc).

--
Ian
Old May 21st 16, 10:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Ian Jackson
writes
I tried "ignorare" first, then the other declensions - but the translation
site didn't like any of them. For some reason, it accepts it now (gives
the translation simply as "to ignore").

Talking about 'ignoramus', fortunately no one spotted that 'conjugations'
are not 'declensions'. But as Shakespeare' Juliet said..... "What's in a
name?" (etc).

Mea culpa!

(But then, it is nearly 50 years since I failed Latin at GCE 'O' Level !)

Se vili, derdego
Fortibus es in arro
Dem nobus es, demare trux
Vatis inem? Cousan dux.

Old May 21st 16, 11:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Jeff writes

From an online dictionary:

I guess that it would be a fair assumption, bearing in mind the development
of
computers and, much later, the Internet, that your online dictionaries
originated
several decades after 1942, and long after the ignoramuses' error arose?

Well my UK 1956 Collins Dictionary says for 'antenna' noun...
(Wireless)...plural antennas.

So antennas was certainly accepted as correct in the UK in 1956.

Jeff

In the UK, I think it's only some of the more-esoteric scientific
research boffins in WW2 who would have used 'antenna' and 'antennae'.
The word 'aerial' was what was used domestically and generally in the TV
and radio industry. Certainly the electronics division of the company
EMI (Electric and Musical Industries) had an Aerial Section - and they
were responsible for the design, manufacture and installation of the TV
and FM aerials at many of the UK's transmitting stations (ERPs ranging
from megawatts to watts). The Marconi Company did most of what EMI
didn't do - and I'm sure they also called them 'aerials'.

These days, in the UK it is not uncommon for 'aerials' to be called
'antennas' by some communication companies - but it would be highly
unlikely for your average Joe Public to refer to any sort of TV or radio
aerial as an 'antenna'. Satellite antennas are, of course, called
'dishes'.
--
Ian
Old May 21st 16, 12:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

On 21/05/2016 11:20, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Jeff writes

Well my UK 1956 Collins Dictionary says for 'antenna' noun...
(Wireless)...plural antennas.

So antennas was certainly accepted as correct in the UK in 1956.

Jeff

In the UK, I think it's only some of the more-esoteric scientific
research boffins in WW2 who would have used 'antenna' and 'antennae'.

When R V Jones wrote his report on the Luftwaffe's X-Gerate navigation
and bombing system, he included a photograph of a Heinkel 111 annotated
with arrows pointing to the three aerials of the system, which he had
labelled 'X-Beam antennae'.

[uk.radio.amateur added]

--
Spike

Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness.
It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a
worthy purpose - Helen Keller

Old May 21st 16, 01:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

antenna

 noun (plural antennae )

1 Zoology a long, thin sensory appendage found in pairs on the heads of
insects and some other arthropods.

2 (plural also antennas) chiefly North American or technical an aerial.

3 (antennae) the faculty of instinctively detecting and interpreting subtle
signs: his political antennae remain as sharp as ever.

DERIVATIVES

antennal adjective

antennary adjective

ORIGIN

C17: from Latin, alteration of antemna 'yard' (of a ship), used in plural to
translate Greek keraioi 'horns (of insects)'.

Old May 21st 16, 01:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 21/05/2016 12:38, Jeff wrote:

[uk.radio.amateur added]

WHY???

Jeff

Well, let's see....

Ian Jackson introduced the topic of WWII research boffins

R V Jones was a UK WWII research boffin

The contributors to this sub-thread are UK citizens

The UK was (heavily) bombed by aircraft using the X-Gerate system

UK scientists developed successful counters to the X-Gerate system

Coventry is in the UK

Old May 21st 16, 05:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message ...

In message , gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339
writes
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , gareth G4SDW GQRP #3339
writes

Ignoramus is the 1st person plural of a verb,

But what is the infinitive?
http://webtranslation.paralink.com/
doesn't seem to recognise anything I try.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=ignoramus

# I tried "ignorare" first, then the other declensions - but the
# translation site didn't like any of them. For some reason, it accepts it
# now (gives the translation simply as "to ignore").

In my googling I came across the word IGNORANUS.
Apparently that is a person who is both stupid and an asshole