Old August 13th 03, 05:20 PM
Michael J. Donohue VE3YF

Default Weird Mobile Problem

Hi:
I have suddenly developed a weird mobile setup problem. When
my IC-706 is in the car and antenna (HF) is hooked up, everything is
all is ok ie swr. But when I hook up the ground wire from the frame of
the car to the ground post I now get get high swr. I have checked the
antenna system with an analyzer and it appears ok. Any idea's???

73 De Mike
VE3YF

Old August 13th 03, 08:44 PM
Fred

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Michael J. Donohue VE3YF wrote:

Hi:
I have suddenly developed a weird mobile setup problem. When
my IC-706 is in the car and antenna (HF) is hooked up, everything is
all is ok ie swr. But when I hook up the ground wire from the frame of
the car to the ground post I now get get high swr. I have checked the
antenna system with an analyzer and it appears ok. Any idea's???

73 De Mike
VE3YF

Check the coax ground at the antenna end.

Fred KE8TQ

Old August 13th 03, 11:59 PM
Michael J. Donohue VE3YF

Hi:
Probably beneficial to clarify something, the antenna is a Hustler
attached to a 3 magnet mount type system. This type of system has
no physical ground, only capactive type ground.

73 De Mike
VE3YF

Old August 14th 03, 12:25 AM
Roy Lewallen

Are you saying that the antenna system, with the ground wire connected,
looks ok with an analyzer but not the rig's SWR meter? If so, I'd guess
that the ground wire is causing a current that's getting into the rig.
You might try putting out four or so wires spaced evenly around the car,
each to its own ground rod, to force the current to flow more or less
symmetrically from the antenna base downward, as it was without the wire
-- if that's practical. There are also some things you could do to
isolate the rig from stray currents, such as putting common mode chokes
on the feedline and power wires, and possibly isolating the rig from the
car chassis. But that might be more trouble than it's worth.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old August 14th 03, 02:15 AM
W5DXP

Michael J. Donohue VE3YF wrote:
Probably beneficial to clarify something, the antenna is a Hustler
attached to a 3 magnet mount type system. This type of system has
no physical ground, only capactive type ground.

Attach a physical ground and see what happens. You may somehow have
lost the capacitive coupling.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Need HF / Mobile Antenna Recommendation Craig Buck Antenna 3 August 10th 03 03:49 PM
Cushcraft MA5B problem Andy Antenna 0 August 9th 03 09:50 AM
Hustler 6BTV Vertical - Tech Problem G.Beat Antenna 0 July 19th 03 10:08 PM
Wanted: SWAN Mobile Antenna Info Norm VE3CZI Antenna 4 July 18th 03 10:44 PM
Mobile antenna balancing ? Radio Amateur KC2HMZ Antenna 20 July 18th 03 05:17 PM