Old September 4th 04, 02:06 PM
Ken

Default Egg insulators

I just picked up some small egg insulators and have a question.

I had assumed that the wire went through the hole, was routed back in
the groove to the far end of the insulator, and was twisted back on
the standing part. The two loops overlap, as it were. However, the
groove for the wire continues all around the egg, including the near
end of the insulator opposite the standing part. This suggests some
kind of fancy wire routing is expected.

How come they continue the groove all around? Do these sometimes get
used with the insulator in tension and the loops not overlapping?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)
Old September 4th 04, 03:56 PM
Dave

maybe so you can use them either direction? possibly to make the mold
symmetric which is usually easier to fabricate?

Old September 5th 04, 12:49 AM
Dave Shrader

The loops are supposed to overlap!!! In the event of a broken insulator
the antenna is still suspended and not on the ground!!

For a successful installation use wire for the antenna [of course] and
antenna rope for the connection to the supporting end. If the insulator
breaks, your antenna is still 100% operable.

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:

Dear Ken: The wire loops overlap. The insulator is in compression not
tension. If the insulator breaks, the wire is still, sort of, supported.
The "egg" insulators that I have used did not have a groove that went
all of the way around.
For reference: about how large are your insulators?
73 Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Old September 5th 04, 02:20 AM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

Dave
Some ceramic insulators are made both ways for simplicity.
Guy wire insulators should overlap; Antenna insulators shouldn't.
H.

Old September 5th 04, 05:05 AM
Ken

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 17:12:22 -0400, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

For reference: about how large are your insulators?

These are for QRP: Around .75" X 1.25", ceramic, green, with 1/8"
holes. Item EGS1 at:
http://users.erols.com/rfc/anttacc.htm

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)
Old September 5th 04, 12:37 PM
garigue

Funny that you should mention this as I bought some at a hamfest yesterday.
This was the first time I have ever seen eggs this small. They should go
well with the K2 in the field.

73 God Bless ... Tom KI3R Belle Vernon Pa.

Old September 5th 04, 01:25 PM
Ken

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 11:37:14 GMT, "garigue"
wrote:
Funny that you should mention this as I bought some at a hamfest yesterday.
This was the first time I have ever seen eggs this small. They should go
well with the K2 in the field.

After buying them, I am thinking I would just be better off with a
knot. See:
http://www.bunganutlake.org/windonwire-knot.htm

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email
remove "zz" from address)
Old September 6th 04, 03:03 AM
garigue

After buying them, I am thinking I would just be better off with a
knot. See:
http://www.bunganutlake.org/windonwire-knot.htm

Ken

Hi there Ken ...probably under most conditions that or similar a non-typical
or traditional approach would work. Thanks for the page ...I have used a
palomar knot for years for connecting the line to a swivel as it aides in
the knot taking the direct stress and failing prematurely.

73 God Bless Tom KI3R

End insulators -- purpose? Ken Antenna 14 September 7th 04 02:06 AM
Feed Through Insulators? zeno Antenna 10 May 1st 04 06:50 PM
Guy wire vs. guy rope zeno Antenna 18 April 19th 04 07:30 AM
Guy Insulators?? Vito Antenna 8 March 5th 04 04:44 AM