Old September 11th 04, 05:47 PM
Walter Maxwell

Default Msg for Reg, G4FGQ

Hi Reg,

This msg is a repeat of my last post for you in the TLI thread in case you
missed it.

"Another subject.: I'm wondering if I have your correct email address. During
the past two years, or more, I've sent you several emails with no response. Yet
you responded to my posts on this rraa in a cordial and friendly manner. In one
of my emails I asked if I had said something that offended you so that I could
apologize, but no response. During a cruise on the North and Baltic Seas two
years ago I was in London at both the beginning and end of the cruise. I emailed
you twice while in London and three times from the ship, asking for your phone
number so I talk with you to learn how to find you for a visit.

I first used the address you show on your posts with the 'zzz', but it came
back--wrong address. I then used your address without the 'zzz' with no
response. Can you help me understand what went wrong, because I really wanted to
meet you while in England.

Walt

Old September 11th 04, 09:29 PM
Reg Edwards

My dear Walt,

I have so many messages on my screen that some are being displayed as "no
longer available". Fortuately I did find your appeal amongst them. Anyway,
I shall now delete the lot and start again with a clean slate.

Over the years I have been aware of some of your communications. On one
occasion I received a parcel of your papers, which I think you also sent to
other people, for which, if I remember correctly, I briefly thanked you for.

On another occasion you said you would be visiting Europe and it would be
possible for you to visit me. Not being the best of sociable people (an
admitted personal handicap) and not being in the best of health to receive
visitors at the time I'm sorry I did not take the possibility sufficiently
seriously.

I am still not in the best of health and never will be. On the other hand I
do not expect to pass into the next world in the immediate future. Its just
old age. But I still have my wits about me.

And I can express myself well in plain old English without having to revert
to the subject of Boston Tea Parties. And beginning a sentence with 'and' is
perfectly legitimate.

So Walt, what's on your mind? If you would like to discuss things in public
it's OK by me.

What about "The Conjugate Match".

(Believe me, it took several minutes to recollect the name of what sort of
match it is. But perhaps that's because I'm 3 parts of the way down down a
bottle of European Rumanian Red. I hasten to add I have no intention of
neglecting the excellent Californian varieties.)
----
Yours sincerely, Reg, G4FGQ

===================================

Old September 11th 04, 11:09 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 20:29:52 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

snip

So Walt, what's on your mind? If you would like to discuss things in public
it's OK by me.

Well, Reg, what has been on my mind for a long time is whether I was getting to
you with the correct email address. It's gratifying to learn that I have.

I am indeed sorry to learn of your disability, and understand why visitors would
cause you discomfort. However, if on chance I'm able to visit your marvelous UK
again I'll at least call you on the phone. I must tell you that Peter, G3WIX
answered my post, and gave me your number, which I'll be sure to have with me.

My regret while in the UK is that the time was too short, because I would have
liked to see more of it than one day in London. I'd lke to avoid Heathow next
time, though. Took a taxi two hours get out of it. There are several other UK
hams that I'd like to see. In addition, my ancestors blew in from Scotland in
the late 1700's, so I'd like to go to Glasgow and research to see how far I can
go back.

I'll need to refresh my knowledge of the location of JC Maxwell's museum (think
it's Edinburgh) to go there and see his ancestral line to determine if any of
his parallel mine. Wouldn't it be neat if I could say a micro amount of his
knowledge rubbed off on me?

So Reg, just when you least expect it, you may get a jingle from me sometime.
I'll be sure to have a goblet of the appropriate spirits in hand that we can
clink when I call.

Walt

Old September 12th 04, 03:11 AM
Reg Edwards

My phone number is 021-561-4959 and is unlikely to change. But what you may
find as a result of a wecome call is anybody's guess.

I can well understand your interest in J.C.Maxwell's history. The Scots
family was not very large. It is fairly likely you have connections. Should
you enquire further then, as perhaps you have already found, a google on
"Maxwell" is a good starting point. At the age of 13 he had already
established mimself as a budding genius. His professional career is well
documented.

But I can't resist the opportunity to add, it was Heaviside's self-taught
nathematics which taught the world how to understand radio waves in all the
world's text books.

I think serious family research work would have to begin at home in the
States. A visit to Edinburgh would be more profitable than a vist to London
during a holiday visit.

Another visit to a high-class tailor whilst in Edinburgh on holiday would
eventually fit you up with a genuine Maxwell tartaned kilt. I expect you
know that a kilt is a heavy, pleated, woven skirt, with a sporan to contain
your loose cash, under which is nothing in the way of clothing. Many
Scotsmen still wear them and not on ceremonial occsions. Furthermore,
Scotswomen are proud to be so accompanied.
----
Yours, Reg, G4FGQ

Old September 12th 04, 02:23 PM
JC Maxwell

"Reg Edwards"
I can well understand your interest in J.C.Maxwell's history.

http://www.sonnetusa.com/bio/maxwell.asp

Above webpage includes a link where one can download a .pdf file of an
e-copy of an old (copyright expired, for the original book) biography of JC
Maxwell.

It's a fairly big file, so don't everyone download it at once.

http://www.usenet.com

Old September 13th 04, 07:06 AM
Mark Keith

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

I think serious family research work would have to begin at home in the
States.

I've found the hardest part is linking the old scottish family history
with the later U.S. history. It seems many fled Scotland for various
reasons during the years, 1600-1700's, and records are scarce. I have
pretty good records of the Scotland Keith's, and I have traced my U.S.
history back to appx 1790-1810 VA., but can't find links to trace back
to Scotland. So it's like a missing gap. But there are pay sources
with possibly more info that I haven't checked yet. "IE: ship records,
etc".
There were Keiths in New England "MA." as early as the 1600's, but I
seem to be linked more to a VA. point of entry from the records I've
seen so far. The old Keith history in Scotland is quite well known as
they were quite a cast of characters, but it's like it hits a brick
wall at the point the various family branches came to the U.S. Hard to
link the two in many cases, unless you really scour all sources. Also
early U.S. history and documents can be meager to nil. Myself, I hit
the brick wall at the end of the 1700's. 1800 onward, I'm pretty
solid. I've traced back to my g-g-g-g-grandfather just using the web.
Back into the 1700's is meager. So even though I'm most likely related
to some of the old big wheels in Scotland, I have no idea which line I
would come from. There are so many lines....The 1700's must have been
a rough time in Scotland for a family with the land and general wealth
the old Keith clan had, to decide to split up and split town for the
new world.

A visit to Edinburgh would be more profitable than a vist to London
during a holiday visit.

Most of the Keith clan was centered around Aberdeen. They founded one
of the old colleges there, and Dunottar castle is the old Keith family
castle. Mel Gibson filmed certain parts of "Hamlet" at that castle. Or
whats left of it anyway...It's in ruins now...

Another visit to a high-class tailor whilst in Edinburgh on holiday would
eventually fit you up with a genuine Maxwell tartaned kilt. I expect you
know that a kilt is a heavy, pleated, woven skirt, with a sporan to contain
your loose cash, under which is nothing in the way of clothing. Many
Scotsmen still wear them and not on ceremonial occsions. Furthermore,
Scotswomen are proud to be so accompanied.

I'm not much for skirts myself. Rednecks in Texas generally don't wear
them..:/
But there is a Keith clan, family tarton, coat of arms, etc, etc...Our
tarton is kind of a green/blue plaid mix...

One story of the early Scotland Keiths can be found at:
http://www.thekeithclan.com/

Kind of interesting...We have a pretty colorful history, but not all
is that good...
There was a long running feud with another clan due to some acts
involving some of the Keiths..Resulted in the death of a girl one of
the Keiths fancied..."kinda long story, but it can be found on the
net. "That started a feud which lasted for many, many years. I think
it just recently finally ended with both clans finally getting
together and forming a truce.. MK
Old September 13th 04, 04:05 PM
Walter Maxwell

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:11:36 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

My phone number is 021-561-4959 and is unlikely to change. But what you may
find as a result of a wecome call is anybody's guess.

I can well understand your interest in J.C.Maxwell's history. The Scots
family was not very large. It is fairly likely you have connections. Should
you enquire further then, as perhaps you have already found, a google on
"Maxwell" is a good starting point. At the age of 13 he had already
established mimself as a budding genius. His professional career is well
documented.

Reg, I have several documents about JC, and at one point on the internet I
learned that his genealogy is available for viewing in the JCM museum, which I
believe is in Edinburg, but not sure. My clan came from Glasgow, so there may
be no connection.

But I can't resist the opportunity to add, it was Heaviside's self-taught
nathematics which taught the world how to understand radio waves in all the
world's text books.

I'm well aware of Heaviside's contribution to organizing much of Maxwell's work,
which wasn't suffuciently organized for general use. I have original copies of a
3-volume set of Heaviside's books, plus an original copy of Hertz' "Electric
Waves."

I think serious family research work would have to begin at home in the
States. A visit to Edinburgh would be more profitable than a vist to London
during a holiday visit.

That's exactly what I thought.

Another visit to a high-class tailor whilst in Edinburgh on holiday would
eventually fit you up with a genuine Maxwell tartaned kilt. I expect you
know that a kilt is a heavy, pleated, woven skirt, with a sporan to contain
your loose cash, under which is nothing in the way of clothing. Many
Scotsmen still wear them and not on ceremonial occsions. Furthermore,
Scotswomen are proud to be so accompanied.
----
Yours, Reg, G4FGQ

I have a copy of the Maxwell clan's tartan and coat of arms, but I don't think
I'd get into a kilt.

Thanks for the welcome info, Reg,

Walt

Old September 13th 04, 04:23 PM
Walter Maxwell

On 12 Sep 2004 23:06:38 -0700, (Mark Keith) wrote:

"Reg Edwards" wrote in message

I think serious family research work would have to begin at home in the
States.

snip
One story of the early Scotland Keiths can be found at:
http://www.thekeithclan.com/

Kind of interesting...We have a pretty colorful history, but not all
is that good...
There was a long running feud with another clan due to some acts
involving some of the Keiths..Resulted in the death of a girl one of
the Keiths fancied..."kinda long story, but it can be found on the
net. "That started a feud which lasted for many, many years. I think
it just recently finally ended with both clans finally getting
together and forming a truce.. MK

Very interesting, Mark.

My Maxwell ancestors kept a solid record beginning with g-g-g-g grandfather born
in the late 1700's. My aunts, my dad 's sisters, organized the data on a long
sheet of grocery-store wrapping paper, which I put into the computer using the
LDS program. So I have the data prior to their leaving Scotland. What I need now
is data preceding that grandfather, which can only be found in Scotland.

However, I'm not as much interested in going back farther, I'd simply like to
know if any of my lines crossed any of JC Maxwell's, which is why I'd like to
see his genealogy list in his museum.

Good Luck with your search, Mark,

Walt, W2DU

Old September 13th 04, 06:28 PM
Airy R. Bean

Q. What's the difference between a Genealogist and a Gynaecologist?

a. One looks up the family tree, the other looks up the family bush.

Old September 13th 04, 07:06 PM
H. Adam Stevens, NQ5H

wrote:

[...]

Not to diminish Heaviside's contribution, it was Gibb's work that led to the
present mathematical expression of Maxwell's equations.
The Heaviside equation survives to this day as the description of the
electromagnetic field of a moving charged particle.
But since Gibbs was American I'm sure you Brits will argue.
;^)
73
H.
NQ5H