Old September 14th 04, 12:11 PM
Alex

Default 4nec2 simulation of a pvc sheet?

I have successfully constructed various 2400 Mhz antennas using the
4nec2 antenna modelling software (really great application, warm tnx
to the author should he read this!)

What I would like now is to get a rough idea as to how close I can put
the antenna elements to a PVC casing without disturbing the radiation
pattern, SWR etc.

E.g. by putting a 2 mm lossless PVC sheet (with dielectricity constant
= 7) 1 cm in front of the antenna element.

Is it possible to simulate this?

Alex
Old September 14th 04, 01:38 PM
Fractenna

I have successfully constructed various 2400 Mhz antennas using the
4nec2 antenna modelling software (really great application, warm tnx
to the author should he read this!)

What I would like now is to get a rough idea as to how close I can put
the antenna elements to a PVC casing without disturbing the radiation
pattern, SWR etc.

E.g. by putting a 2 mm lossless PVC sheet (with dielectricity constant
= 7) 1 cm in front of the antenna element.

Is it possible to simulate this?

Alex

Not with a freebie NEC based program.

Also, Why are you using PVC? This stuff is horrible as a base substrate at 2.4
GHz.

73,
Chip N1IR
Old September 14th 04, 04:23 PM
Crazy George

Who told you PVC was lossless? Stick a sample of it in a (2.4 GHz) microwave oven and see what happens. You could
simulate it with a sheet of carbon impregnated foam, but I guess 4nec2 doesn't handle that either. If you need a
radome, use foam polystyrene, commonly known as Styrofoam®.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address

Old September 14th 04, 05:41 PM
Alex

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:23:18 -0500, "Crazy George"
wrote:

Who told you PVC was lossless? Stick a sample of it in a (2.4 GHz) microwave oven and see what happens. You could
simulate it with a sheet of carbon impregnated foam, but I guess 4nec2 doesn't handle that either. If you need a
radome, use foam polystyrene, commonly known as Styrofoam®.

many tnx for your answer

actually I am using styrofoam already for the indoor model. But
styrofoam is too soft and vulnerable to make weatherproof so I shall
have to put it in a case made of something more rugged.

Evidently 4nec2 does not handle the needed simulation so I shall look
around for other software or maybe make a SWR meter and some practical
experiments...

Alex

Old September 14th 04, 07:31 PM
Andrey

PVC is not lossless, however...

I used PVC drainage pipe (white, 3 mm thick maybe) to make radome for 900MHz
antenna. Specifically, directional patch arrays. It tuned them down a little
bit (2 mm maybe over half-wave length.) I did not measure significant
decrease of gain. The cover did not touch the radiator. When it touches,

Andrey

Old September 15th 04, 11:44 AM
Alex

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:31:29 -0700, "Andrey"
wrote:

PVC is not lossless, however...

I used PVC drainage pipe (white, 3 mm thick maybe) to make radome for 900MHz
antenna. Specifically, directional patch arrays. It tuned them down a little
bit (2 mm maybe over half-wave length.) I did not measure significant
decrease of gain. The cover did not touch the radiator. When it touches,

tnx for your reply

But it seems to me that what you describe is not so much that the PVC
absorbs energy ("loss") but instead: that it unavoidably de-tunes the
antenna because of its high dielectric constant (about 5 to 9 I
understand). Especially when the PVC touches the radiators the
capacitance between radiator parts is markedly reduced because of this
phenomenon (anyway that is how I intuitively understand it...)

Alex
Old September 15th 04, 01:30 PM
Fractenna

But it seems to me that what you describe is not so much that the PVC
absorbs energy ("loss") but instead: that it unavoidably de-tunes the
antenna because of its high dielectric constant

PVC is L-O-S-S-Y at 2.4 GHz. The amount varies according to manufacturer. CPVC
has the least loss of a lossy lot.

OK?:-)

73,
Chip N1IR
Old September 20th 04, 05:04 PM
Fractenna

Because I can get a cheap PVC case which is otherwise suitabel for
weatherproofing the antenna. And because I have seen reported (I have
not tried it myself) that such material does not get heated in a
microwave oven.

This is a good, first-order test. But, as warned, different pvc manu's give
different results. It wasn't made for s-band RF. You must test it thoroughly
without extrapolating. Some is almost OK; others are really poor. Sure ain't
kidex.

73,
Chip N1IR

4NEC2 and ARRL Antenna Modelling Course Thomas Antenna 2 September 28th 04 03:44 PM
4nec2 question larry d clark Antenna 1 March 12th 04 01:26 PM
Poor vertical performance on metal sheet roof - comments? Kristinn Andersen Antenna 23 August 8th 03 11:08 PM
4NEC2 features wanted Yuri Blanarovich Antenna 7 July 28th 03 08:42 PM