Old September 17th 04, 05:59 PM
Brian Howie

Default Clemens match modelling

Hi,

I've been trying to model the Clemens match ( it's a sort of off-set
gamma match) on NEC (specifically 4NEC2 and NEC2D). I find that the
addition of this reduces the calculated antenna gain by about 2dB. If I
model it using MMANA, the gain is unaffected, which is what I expect,
Has anyone had any experience of modelling this sort of match ?

73 Brian GM4DIJ
--
Brian Howie
Old September 17th 04, 07:47 PM
Roy Lewallen

Gamma-type matches consist of a small loop containing a source. This
type of geometry can be a problem for NEC, and often produces the
symptom you describe. You should have the progam report the average gain
(see the NEC documentation on the RP "card"), and use it to correct
the gain, unless you can rearrange the loop to get the average gain
close to 1. MININEC-based programs don't have this problem with small
loops -- they have other problems instead.

EZNEC users will see the average gain reported at the bottom of the main
window after every 3D calculation, and its meaning and use described in
the manual. However, note that EZNEC normalizes the correct average gain
to a standard value of 1 with or without ground, while NEC will report a
value of 0.5 (or 2, I don't recall for certain) when everything is ok
but a ground is present.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old September 19th 04, 08:54 AM
Brian Howie

In message , Roy Lewallen
writes
Gamma-type matches consist of a small loop containing a source. This
type of geometry can be a problem for NEC, and often produces the
symptom you describe. You should have the progam report the average
gain (see the NEC documentation on the RP "card"), and use it to
correct the gain, unless you can rearrange the loop to get the average
gain close to 1. MININEC-based programs don't have this problem with
small loops -- they have other problems instead.

EZNEC users will see the average gain reported at the bottom of the
main window after every 3D calculation, and its meaning and use
described in the manual. However, note that EZNEC normalizes the
correct average gain to a standard value of 1 with or without ground,
while NEC will report a value of 0.5 (or 2, I don't recall for certain)
when everything is ok but a ground is present.

Thanks,

That seems to account for it; -2dB average gain and -0.6db for a
conventional gamma match.

73 Brian

--
Brian Howie