Old October 4th 04, 08:58 PM
Thierry

Default Windom vs G5RV : 1-0

FYI.
Hi,
I come back with my 40m long Windom vs. my 31m G5RV question of 2 weeks ago.

I did my tests during 3 days from 10 am to midnight. How does the Windom
perform ?
Theoretically the Windom is know to perform better (at least +1 S-point say
some readers) than a dipole due to the mix of horizontal and vertical
polarization, with the advantage of showing a more or less omnidirectional
pattern.
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Radi...on-pattern.gif

However some models cannot be tuned on WARC bands. Mine could be tuned on
all bands with a SWR at the antenna below 2:1. At last, drawback, the Window
radiates along its coax. On mine, only 30 cm where inside the shack, the
remaining coax running outdoor, along the external wall of the house and
between trees up to the feed point 7m high.

Two images for those who don't know this well-known antenna:
Windom design : http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Radi...windom-dwg.gif
Installation of the windom sold by wimo.de :
http://www.astrosurf.com/lombry/Radio/windom-balun.jpg
Ends were attached for one in pines 8m high, the other on the chimney 7m
high.

And indeed, I confirm the general opinion. The Windom radiation pattern is
much more omnidirectional than the dipole one and I don't have noticed more
QRM.

From what I have experimented from 160 to 10 m, including WARC bands,
working in SSB I received better signal reports with the Windom and I
confirmed countries I was never able to reach with the multi-band dipole.

Tight in the E-W direction, from Europe working on 20, 17 and 15m bands
during 3 days I reached without much difficulties and often almost at first
call North america (VE, K), South America (HK, YV, PY), Middle-east (9K, A4,
A9, YI), Asia (4S, JA) and many VK stations.

Globally working bare foot with 100 W PEP, I had a SWR between 1.5-2 (quite
high) but DX signal reports were between 55 and 57, often stronger on the
axis 9K-4S-VK (and unconfirmed to UA9/0 due to lack of DX stations from
these areas, but most UA1/3/4/6 arrived 59).
It is however more strange to note that the signal that I received was most
of the time (say maybe 7 times over 10) about 1 or 2 S-points weaker than
the strength of my signal to the DX.

But moderate this result. Of course with 100 W in a fixed wire antenna tight
between 0.4-0.5-lambda high the configuration is far to be optimized. Then
there were many DX (VR, XW, XU, etc) I was unable to work due to pileups.
But results exceeded my expectations and I found signal reports quasi on par
with a long vertical cut at L/4, but without QRM, a really mix of
performances of a dipole and a vertical.
NB. Of course there could be a drawback if you use high power ( 200W) due
to RF radiation in the shack. This can be avoided using the Carolina design.

For short, I kept the Window, and sold my G5RV ! I will mainly use it on low
bands.
And thanks to OMs who read this thread and who permitted me to test this
antenna on the air; your QSL is already sent ;-)

Hope this helps.

73
Thierry, ON4SKY.

carolina windom vs dipole Thierry Antenna 27 September 20th 04 12:30 AM
G5RV vs. G5RV Jr. Jim Leder Antenna 15 August 25th 04 02:12 AM
G5RV or 135 foot doublet or Carolina Windom? Jim Leder Antenna 3 May 22nd 04 03:43 PM
Carolina Windom Problem...any suggestions Pat Myers Antenna 11 April 29th 04 02:59 AM
OCF Dipole vs. G5RV vs. Carolina Windom ??? Deane Charlson Antenna 11 November 5th 03 08:50 PM