Old July 27th 17, 09:15 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antennae NOT antennas

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 27/07/2017 19:36, wrote:
In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Guy G4DWV 4X1LT wrote:
On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 16:06:57 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb,
disturbed my reverie and wrote:

The dictionary is the authority on the correct spelling of words

So one chooses the dictionary that matches one's argument? Which
dictionary?

The one for the language and dialect you speak, obviously.

So if you consult an American dictionary you would start calling
fringes "bangs"? YUCK and BIG SPIT.

One would consult an American dictionary only if one wanted the American
meaning and spelling of a word, obviously.

They are not "movies", but "films".

Don't get me started at the misuse of the singular and plural cases of
verbs when discussing singular entities. For example, "the
Conservative Party are...", WRONG!

I feel better now. Thanks Gareth for providing a thread in which I can
vent my spleen.

The thing at the front of the car is called a hood and the thing at the
back of the car is a trunk.

Boots are what cowboys wear on their feet and bonnets are what the cowboy's
lady wears to church.

Jim Pendulumino seems to be a rebel without a cause, arguing
for the sake of the argument.

Shove the name calling up your ass, uneducated **** head.

Do you know that the English language has changed a bit since the time of
Shakespeare?

--
Jim Pennino
Old July 27th 17, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
On 27/07/2017 19:36, wrote:
[...]

My dear American friends, I'm very sad to say that Gareth has a severe
mental disorder and it's a complete waste of your time trying to be
reasonable with him. He simply cannot communicate on any kind of human
level. You're best off ignoring the wretched lunatic, tbh.

--
STC / M0TEY /
http://twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Old July 28th 17, 03:01 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 15:44:49 +0100, Gareth's Downstairs Computer
wrote:

Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre",

Copied, approximately, from French. At least Noah Webster went
directly to the Latin source for his spelling.

so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

I doubt if even the Americans would be so crass as to follow a
preposition with a nominative (subject) pronoun.
Old July 28th 17, 04:44 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Custos Custodum
writes
m wrote:

Remember that the Yanks' spelling is atrocious
and they do not really speak English, for example,
"colour" and "centre",

Copied, approximately, from French. At least Noah Webster went
directly to the Latin source for his spelling.

so they may be excused
for their bad spelling of, "antennae".

However, there is no cause for we Brits to
take on board crass Americanisms.

I doubt if even the Americans would be so crass as to follow a
preposition with a nominative (subject) pronoun.

Certainly not people like you and I.

--
Ian

Antennae Gareth's Downstairs Computer Antenna 3 July 28th 17 03:15 PM
Everything you want to know about antennae .... gareth Antenna 20 March 4th 16 04:09 AM
Screwdriver antennae? gareth Antenna 4 February 14th 16 09:06 AM
The inefficiency of short antennae compared to long antennae, as previously discussed. gareth Antenna 119 February 24th 15 10:54 AM
Antennas vs Antennae Jim Antenna 90 February 15th 05 12:39 AM